American Football rule question

Let's assume American High School football rules...

I ask here because I know I can get some responses here within a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully someone with qualifications can shed some light on this scenario.

In a situation where an ineligible man is downfield during a pass (a lineman) and a penalty is called for that AND during the same play defensive pass interference is also called what would the typical result be? The lineman downfield was not near nor did he have any impact on the coverage directly.

In the game we played today the head referee overruled the other and said that the illegal man downfield penalty overruled the defensive pass interference and allowed the defense to decline the offensive penalty and the ball changed possession (it was 4th down) and the other team took over on offense.

My understanding would be that the penalties would offset and the play would be voided and 4th down replayed. What do you think on how this should play out? If you have specific experience in the area of refereeing or American Football rules please make mention.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz, Win 7 Ult 64-bit, Ram Crucial Ballistix Sport (4x8) 32GB DDR3 @ 799MHz, Mobo ASUSTeK Z97-A, Zalman Air Cooler, Monitors (3) - DELL 2709W (1), DELL E2414H (x2), Drives Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(x2)SSD in Raid 0, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM 3.5" @ 7200 rpm, Samsung T1 500GB USB 3.0 External SSD, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ w/BP, Fractal Design Arc XL, EVGA Supernova NEX750B, HL-DT-ST BD-RE Cd-R optical, G710 Mechanical Keyboard, G500 Gaming Mouse

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been a long time since I played football, but IIRC, when an offensive lineman (and a few other positions) moves up too far forward and blocks on a passing play. Basically, when the defense sees the "wrong" player move up, they can assume it's a running play and the "wrong" player is a run blocker, and defend against a run instead. The pass interference doesn't matter, because the ball never should have been thrown in the first place. If the offense caught the ball, the defense would accept the penalty, and take the turnover anyway. The QB should have recognized too many players downfield and ran the ball instead.

It's been over 20 years since playing and I don't regularly watch football. Canadian football too, but nearly all the penalty rules are the same. But yeah, I could be a little bit wrong, but that is what I can remember. Despite that, I figure that if I am wrong in some way, it might help you figure it out from what you know or maybe someone else can give a better answer.

Should be if both sides have a live ball penalty without a change of possession, regardless of how many or the severity, they offset and you replay the down. Most likely the refs screwed up (happens a lot at any level, more often at high school and below due to not being professionals), but there is also a small chance the school's conference has some weird rule where DPI is ignored in favor of ineligible man down field even though it is a larger penalty. Never saw that when playing from youth leagues through college though.
    Last edited by Grube; 2016-10-22 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks for the answers, and as I said there was no "'direct" impact on the coverage. I realize what you mean by leaving pass coverage when you "see" run, however my guy was triple covered by the Dbacks, who never left coverage, so it wasn't the case here. Had he caught the ball there still can and would have been a defensive pass interference penalty called. I think Stevegasm has it most likely correct that it was simply a screwup by the ref and that is what I am really trying to nail down. I do however have some inkling that it was less screwup and more intentional bad call. I have had to deal with this ref previously and it is not his first "mistake"... the problem is he has "been officiating for over 20 years" and doesn't think he is could possibly be wrong. As I said he over ruled the other ref and simply told him to pick up the the DPI flag. BTW he call the IMD well after the DPI, imo so he could justify overturning the other call and preventing the first down and basically ending the game. Anyway, thanks again.
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz, Win 7 Ult 64-bit, Ram Crucial Ballistix Sport (4x8) 32GB DDR3 @ 799MHz, Mobo ASUSTeK Z97-A, Zalman Air Cooler, Monitors (3) - DELL 2709W (1), DELL E2414H (x2), Drives Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(x2)SSD in Raid 0, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM 3.5" @ 7200 rpm, Samsung T1 500GB USB 3.0 External SSD, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ w/BP, Fractal Design Arc XL, EVGA Supernova NEX750B, HL-DT-ST BD-RE Cd-R optical, G710 Mechanical Keyboard, G500 Gaming Mouse