Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mut Rogue Mastery

I've done some reading and searching and I can't find anything on this.

Basically, is there an upper limit to how much Mastery we should be getting? Or is it just 'the more, the better?'
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

An ideal number SEEMS to be 105%, and then you start stacking crit. I have nothing to back that up, rather just an assumed value based on what I've observed. Iirc, I'm at around 107% mastery with 36% crit and crit is a full dps point per stat ahead of mastery at the moment. Your best bet is always to run a stat scaling sim

ough starting to gear up but got 119% mastery and 20% crit need to get better drops to start adjusting my gear tho xd am 839 ilvl

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm 854 ilvl, 39% crit, 133% mastery, 1% verse, and I do around 325k Dps st on bosses.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Well, for EP/AP (which is what you are using i assume) you want to make sure you have a decently large amount of crit (~40%) then you want to be stacking mastery, there is basically no limit for mastery at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by steelmuffin View Post
    Well, for EP/AP (which is what you are using i assume) you want to make sure you have a decently large amount of crit (~40%) then you want to be stacking mastery, there is basically no limit for mastery at that point.
    Yes, you're right, I'm going a poison build. I'm at 140% mastery and 30% crit. I figured I needed more Crit, obviously, but wasn't sure what the right balance was.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    Yes, you're right, I'm going a poison build. I'm at 140% mastery and 30% crit. I figured I needed more Crit, obviously, but wasn't sure what the right balance was.
    Ideally, aim for 44% crit to have 50% crit on mutilate (6% with artefact talents), So you can build 3/4 combo with 1 mut most of the time and be able to envenom with just one mut to maintain EP. Then just stack mastery.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioubr View Post
    Ideally, aim for 44% crit to have 50% crit on mutilate (6% with artefact talents), So you can build 3/4 combo with 1 mut most of the time and be able to envenom with just one mut to maintain EP. Then just stack mastery.
    Is that feelcraft or math?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioubr View Post
    I'm a relatively new rogue and have been playing Subtlety so far, but I kinda feel like switching to Assa. Anyway, I'm sitting on a ton of Versa (17%), 100% mastery and just 25% crit. Can I go AP EP or what sort of Assa would I have to play till I have higher crit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krogana View Post
    I'm a relatively new rogue and have been playing Subtlety so far, but I kinda feel like switching to Assa. Anyway, I'm sitting on a ton of Versa (17%), 100% mastery and just 25% crit. Can I go AP EP or what sort of Assa would I have to play till I have higher crit?
    Sim yourself and see what deals more damage. With that much Vers, I would imagine, Exsg is stronger. Either way, your crit is quite low for both builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Is that feelcraft or math?
    50% crit on Mutilate gives an average ~70% chance to get to 6 CPs after casting two Mutilates

The bigger your EP uptime, the better, but once you get a huge EP uptime with efficient Envenoms, you take out an even bigger damage from EP, that's why it favors crit that much

The "50% mut crit" is like a "checkpoint" to keep an eye for the other secondary stats, since stacking more than that will be hard

Quote Originally Posted by skindown View Post

The "50% mut crit" is like a "checkpoint" to keep an eye for the other secondary stats, since stacking more than that will be hard
    But why 50%?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    But why 50%?
    High CP generation per Mutilate, ensuring efficient Envenom dumping and EP uptime in one stat

Confusing thing for my assassination rogue. I had something like 140% mastery without trying. I went down to about 100% with gear more focused on crit and vers, but then one day I logged in to see 79% mastery. Was Assassination's base mastery nerfed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Confusing thing for my assassination rogue. I had something like 140% mastery without trying. I went down to about 100% with gear more focused on crit and vers, but then one day I logged in to see 79% mastery. Was Assassination's base mastery nerfed?
    No, maybe you switched something and can't remember? @_@"

15+ Year Old Account
    50% crit on Mutilate gives an average ~70% chance to get to 6 CPs after casting two Mutilates

The bigger your EP uptime, the better, but once you get a huge EP uptime with efficient Envenoms, you take out an even bigger damage from EP, that's why it favors crit that much

I agree that it makes sense, just wanted to know if my hunch was backed by something worth its salt.

High CP generation per Mutilate, ensuring efficient Envenom dumping and EP uptime in one stat
    No, why >50%<. Why not 55 or 60 or 45? Stating 50 is the magic number makes me wonder why.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

No, why >50%<. Why not 55 or 60 or 45? Stating 50 is the magic number makes me wonder why.
    Assuming poison build EP/AP:
    44% from gear + 6% from mutilation traits (3x2%)

It's actually simple, just keep your crit between 40-45% and let the rest be mastery. Don't actually tune for mastery unless you're like below 100% ... but then again you may be having "to much" crit anyway.
    Last edited by Zempai; 2016-10-25 at 01:40 PM.
    Rock and Troll

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zempai View Post
    Assuming poison build EP/AP:
    44% from gear + 6% from mutilation traits (3x2%)

It's actually simple, just keep your crit between 40-45% and let the rest be mastery. Don't actually tune for mastery unless you're like below 100% ... but then again you may be having "to much" crit anyway.
    You just blatantly ignored his question, lol.
    He is asking, what makes 50% the go-to value.
    And I believe that 40% raw crit is ass rogues soft cap,Ymirrson.

There's not really a magic number, I said it is more like a "checkpoint" if you check one of my previous responses, because it will get too hard to stack more crit than 50% ( 44% + the 6% from the Balanced Blades trait ), you'll depend on having sockets on everything to min/max
    Quote Originally Posted by baddy View Post
    You just blatantly ignored his question, lol.
    He is asking, what makes 50% the go-to value.
    And I believe that 40% raw crit is ass rogues soft cap,Ymirrson.
    Well, if you use Elaborate Planning as your talent, you will want EVERY ounce of crit that you can get from gear ( which means above 40% ), it GREATLY favors those who have high crit, does not seem to have a "soft cap" because the CP gain linear, atleast not that I know of

But yeah, if you don't run EP, 35~40% crit is just fine, just don't get any haste on your gear, try to keep mastery >= versatility and you'll be set :P