Thread: Need a new desk

Need a new desk

Please don't say "build one" or "ikea". Been down both of those roads before.

Length: 60-65 inches
    Depth: 30-35 inches
    Top thickness: 1/2 to 3/4 inches
    Cost: no more than $1200

I work from home and need something to accommodate up to 3 monitors, a couple phones, and a laptop. My current setup just isn't cutting it any more.

I've found a couple desks that I kind of like but looking for other options. The Bivi from Steelcase and there's a desk by Rand at a local store called Room and Board here in MN that looks nice. Only issue I have with the Rand desk is that it wobbles - I went over to the store to check it out a few months ago.

Any other ideas?

You should assemble a desk from a Swedish furniture store.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Well, goddamn. I see what you did there.

Well I'm not a furniture salesman so...I can just tell you I bought my desk from Staples. But mine is a cheap one for $90. Your $1200 is a pretty big budget.

Can you take a picture of your room to show us where it's going?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    You should assemble a desk from a Swedish furniture store.
    Long ago in days of yore
    It all began with a god named Thor
    There were Vikings and boats
    And some plans for a furniture store

Quote Originally Posted by chizzle View Post
    Please don't say "build one" or "ikea". Been down both of those roads before.

Length: 60-65 inches
    Depth: 30-35 inches
    Top thickness: 1/2 to 3/4 inches
    Cost: no more than $1200

I work from home and need something to accommodate up to 3 monitors, a couple phones, and a laptop. My current setup just isn't cutting it any more.

I've found a couple desks that I kind of like but looking for other options. The Bivi from Steelcase and there's a desk by Rand at a local store called Room and Board here in MN that looks nice. Only issue I have with the Rand desk is that it wobbles - I went over to the store to check it out a few months ago.

Any other ideas?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-8-f...ingMethod=p13n

Adjustable height might be something you want.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

What problems did you have building your own? I just built my new one about a month ago and I like it. Staining/finishing was the only thing that took a long time and mine has almost the same specifications you're looking for (mines 66x30x30 with 3/4 inch top). Admittedly I feel like kreg jigs felt like cheating they made the pocket holes so easy, but it's not like those are expensive. I also didn't build drawers, but as I use a filing cabinet that's not an issue really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    woah woah woah sir...this is a gaming related site. we know nothing of how to make desks....we just use them.
    them thar fancy words sound like the talk of them fancy hardware forums and what not.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    woah woah woah sir...this is a gaming related site. we know nothing of how to make desks....we just use them.
    them thar fancy words sound like the talk of them fancy hardware forums and what not.
    I mean we have armchair cops, armchair lawyers, and armchair politicians. I don't find it impossible that we have armchair carpenters too.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I mean we have armchair cops, armchair lawyers, and armchair politicians. I don't find it impossible that we have armchair carpenters too.
    that's a lot of armchairs. maybe we could chop them up and make a desk from them for the op? i got my runeblade right here.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by chizzle View Post
    Any other ideas?
    Craigslist bro, check out used desks, if you have a large budget , which you said you do. Be picky like search for handmade, and solid,/hardwood. Search custom desks . Maybe even reach out to a local woodworker and ask what he can build for the spot. 1200 is a lot for a desk but if you work from home and want something perfect . A custom build is going to be best.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's time we armchair intellectuals hire some armchair armchair craftsmen to make us some armchairs!

I am now an armchair world record holder for saying the word armchair so many times in one sentence.
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2016-10-24 at 04:03 AM.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

He wants a desk for work.... Not for hosting the company pot luck at his house....

^This is what I've always used as a desk. Been working from home doing tech work for 15 years, and it's always suited me just fine. Sometimes I'll even set up a 2nd when I have more equipment to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    ^This is what I've always used as a desk. Been working from home doing tech work for 15 years, and it's always suited me just fine. Sometimes I'll even set up a 2nd when I have more equipment to deal with.
    Can't say I would trust a plastic desk with my electronics. I'm way too protective of them.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I've been considering upgrading my desk sometime soon as well. I wonder what sort of interesting responses we'll see here.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!