Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anti Establishment "Pirate Party" set to Rule Iceland

A radical fringe political party is set to win the Iceland election this weekend.
    The Pirate Party didn't exist 4 years ago, but in similar circumstances to the uprising of Donald Trump and Brexit, people
    in Iceland are over the establishment parties.

Is there anyone on MMO from Iceland or Scandinavia that can fill us in on the Pirate Party?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...6a6_story.html

Its members are a collection of anarchists, hackers, libertarians and Web geeks.
    It sets policy through online polls — and thinks the government should do the same.
    It wants to make Iceland “a Switzerland of bits,” free of digital snooping.
    It has offered Edward Snowden a new place to call home

A Pirate Party win would offer a vivid illustration of how far Europeans are willing to go in their rejection of the political mainstream, adding to a string of insurgent triumphs emanating from both the far left and far right.

To Jónsdóttir and other Pirate true believers — who define their party as neither left nor right, but a radical movement that combines the best of both — the election here could also be the start of the reboot that Western democracy so desperately needs.

They're going to have to leave the EU, get their own currency, and rely heavily on banking if they want to be Switzerland. Good luck to them.

Pirate parties are a phenomen in a lot of countries in western Europe.

Born in the internet qqing about downloadz into the political stage, usually attracting protest voters and young voters. Their party has like no experience at all and already backpedaled on their original idea. They realize Iceland isn't in a vacuum and can't just dismiss already created treaties. I expect 1/3 of the elected officials to give up within half a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They're going to have to leave the EU, get their own currency, and rely heavily on banking if they want to be Switzerland. Good luck to them.
    Iceland is not part of the EU, and they have their own currency.

It's heartwarming in a sense that anarchists and libertarians are having a bit of success, but I'm skeptical that they can maintain the edge for long.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post

It's heartwarming in a sense that anarchists and libertarians are having a bit of success, but I'm skeptical that they can maintain the edge for long.
    Oh, I thought they were. They're part of the free trade agreements right?

Oh, I thought they were. They're part of the free trade agreements right?
    Yep, the're part of EFTA, along with Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Deleted
    Here's the page of the Finnish version, Pirate Party of Finland: https://piraattipuolue.fi/english

Such a wimpy flag. It should look like

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post

They're small enough to approximate direct democracy. And a guy who originially ran as a joke ended up mayor of Reykjavik (which does have more than half the population). With all that in mind, they may even succeed to some degree.

People waking up to the fact that government is corrupt and/or only working the serve the interests of a few select groups and rebelling by means of political power rather than violence.

It actually is progress when you think of it like that.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    Iceland is a non-country. The smaller the country the more exotic it can be, hence why it's borderline a country.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ironically, by becoming elected, they are the mainstream.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    The "reboot" of western democracy starts in a place with a tenth of the population of Los Angeles Iceland?

Sure.

The issue with anarchists/Libertarian rout is that they always presume they'll dig themselves a pond and be the biggest fish. When a bigger fish comes along, suddenly they're the food, with no one and nowhere else to swim to. And no one's there to stop the bigger fish from eatin' em.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2016-10-24 at 11:01 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Such a wimpy flag. It should look like
    Eh, I actually think that logo is pretty clever.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

In Sweden, the Pirate Party has been around since 2008 (I believe, thereabouts at least) but haven't gotten past the 4% limit to sit in Swedish government as of yet. They've had better success in the EU elections however, where they usually have a seat or two. I'm not completely up-to-date with this party but the Swedish version wasn't that radical (maybe that has changed), it was mostly about anti-surveillance, open Internet, revised copyright laws and that sort of thing.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    In Sweden, the Pirate Party has been around since 2008 (I believe, thereabouts at least) but haven't gotten past the 4% limit to sit in Swedish government as of yet. They've had better success in the EU elections however, where they usually have a seat or two. I'm not completely up-to-date with this party but the Swedish version wasn't that radical (maybe that has changed), it was mostly about anti-surveillance, open Internet, revised copyright laws and that sort of thing.
    Indeed, the first Pirate Party was the Swedish one, and was essentially a one-issue party. The Icelandic one is hence more of a sidetracked evolution of pirate parties with a clear and broad ideology.

It will be interesting to see how the party fares but like mentioned earlier, the problem with radicalists is that they have to at some point adjust to reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    Iceland is a non-country. The smaller the country the more exotic it can be, hence why it's borderline a country.
    You're not very good at making jokes.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    They're going to have to leave the EU
    Iceland aren't part of the EU, they were applying but gave up after it became apparent the UK was going to block them due to their part in and response to the financial crisis.

I wish this was the colonial era of history so we could just conquer these idiots lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    I wish this was the colonial era of history so we could just conquer these idiots lol
    I happen to like Iceland and I find your comment insulting.
    I don't even know which "we" you're talking about, but since you're insulting whole other countries, you probably live in a superpower.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.