Deleted

Upgrading my PC. HELP!

Processor: Intel i5 4570 3.2Ghz
    MoBo: Asus H87 Plus
    RAM: 8GB
    Power Supply: Nox Urano VX 650W
    GPU: GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR5

I'd like an upgrade for playing ultra in WoW (and other games). Some advices?

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by mmocd8e9a8aeea; 2016-10-24 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinde View Post
    Processor: Intel i5 4570K 3.2Ghz
    MoBo: Asus H87 Plus
    RAM: 8GB
    Power Supply: Nox Urano VX 650W
    Grafica: GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR5

I'd like an upgrade for playing ultra in WoW (and other games). Some advices?

Thanks a lot
    1) get a GTX 1060, (( the gt 640 is total trash and is currently your biggest bottle neck ))
    2) get a Z97 mobo,
    3)get a good aftermarket CPU air or water cooler,
    4) Over clock the CPU (( requires 2 & 3 )),
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    1) get a GTX 1060, (( the gt 640 is total trash and is currently your biggest bottle neck ))
    2) get a Z97 mobo,
    3)get a good aftermarket CPU air or water cooler,
    4) Over clock the CPU (( requires 2 & 3 )),
    In addition to that, I'd look at replacing the PSU as well. It's a cheap brand known to overrate their transformers and usually have bad primary capacitors. Definitely something I'd think about replacing before doing any OCing. New GPU should be ok as it will probably use less power than the old one, but I'd still probably replace PSU at the same time.

Please dont upgrade your CPU or motherboard, they are more than fine. GPU and PSU upgrades sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Please dont upgrade your CPU or motherboard, they are more than fine. GPU and PSU upgrades sure.
    Wrong, his CPU is fine but it is being wasted on a H series board. he needs a Z series to overclock his K series CPU.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Wrong, his CPU is fine but it is being wasted on a H series board. he needs a Z series to overclock his K series CPU.
    Dude he has a non-k series CPU, its not OC'able. If he picked OCable parts to start with that is fine, but selling both of those to go to OC parts is just a ridiculous notion.

All he needs is a GPU, and a PSU if he wants peace of mind.

In fact his PSU seems decent quality, all he needs is a GPU:
    https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/20...-750-y-tx-850/

Uses channelwell internals, and per that review is a pretty decent PSU.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-10-25 at 01:47 AM.

Dude he has a non-k series CPU, its not OC'able. If he picked OCable parts to start with that is fine, but selling both of those to go to OC parts is just a ridiculous notion.

seems he altered the details it recently, if you look at my first post it quotes his original version where he has it listed as a K series.

seems he altered the details it recently, if you look at my first post it quotes his original version where he has it listed as a K series.
    Fair enough, but even then spending 100 bucks or more (used mobo's form past gen's carry large price premiums) to gain ~500mhz is not a very good price/performance ratio.

Fair enough, but even then spending 100 bucks or more (used mobo's form past gen's carry large price premiums) to gain ~500mhz is not a very good price/performance ratio.
    for 4th gen K series i5 CPU's you can get 4.0 out of then easy enough and yes actually in games like wow every little bit is important, using WoW as an example, its very CPU bound so that 15% ish Overclock is worth the price ...... given you have the extra cash to spend. if not it's not worth striping cash away from the GPU budget just to be able to OC.

TL/DR the cost of being able to OC is dependent on your budget, needs, and personal preference.

for 4th gen K series i5 CPU's you can get 4.0 out of then easy enough and yes actually in games like wow every little bit is important, using WoW as an example, its very CPU bound so that 15% ish Overclock is worth the price ...... given you have the extra cash to spend. if not it's not worth striping cash away from the GPU budget just to be able to OC.

TL/DR the cost of being able to OC is dependent on your budget, needs, and personal preference.
    i5 4570 boosts to 3.6ghz at stock, a 4.1ghz OC is only 500mhz. Not even close to worth it unless he could sell his current motherboard to cover at least half the cost of a z97 board. Of course all of this is just a hypothetical, as he does not have a CPU that can OC lol.

I would either get a 3gb 1060 or wait til tomorrow and get a 1050ti for 140 bucks, would be a massive upgrade for him.

i5 4570 boosts to 3.6ghz at stock, a 4.1ghz OC is only 500mhz. Not even close to worth it unless he could sell his current motherboard to cover at least half the cost of a z97 board. Of course all of this is just a hypothetical, as he does not have a CPU that can OC lol.

I would either get a 3gb 1060 or wait til tomorrow and get a 1050ti for 140 bucks, would be a massive upgrade for him.
    well first turbo is not used as the check point for OC. ( one reason being its unreliable. Mine never triggers its turbo ) second while I agree the 1050Ti would work for wow, I'm not sure how it will handle other games so the 1060 is a safer bet.

Ok you have no idea what you are talking about, ever since sandy everything has been overclocked by adjusting the turbo ratio (if you are doing fixed ratios+volts you are doing it WRONG).

Ok you have no idea what you are talking about, ever since sandy everything has been overclocked by adjusting the turbo ratio (if you are doing fixed ratios+volts you are doing it WRONG).
    you are very confused. you overclock by disabling the turbo then adjusting the core multiplier and testing, repeat until its unstable at stock voltage then up the voltage a small amount and test, repeat till you reach a max, safe, stable overclock. Now I could educate all day but this is not the thread for that, this is to discuss his upgrades.

you are very confused. you overclock by disabling the turbo then adjusting the core multiplier and testing, repeat until its unstable at stock voltage then up the voltage a small amount and test, repeat till you reach a max, safe, stable overclock. Now I could educate all day but this is not the thread for that, this is to discuss his upgrades.
    Sorry but you have been led astray by some poor advice along the way. Both methods of course will work, but one is the correct way and one is how people did things before turbo boost was introduced.

Sorry but you have been led astray by some poor advice along the way. Both methods of course will work, but one is the correct way and one is how people did things before turbo boost was introduced.
    I don't know where you got the idea you change turbo boost to overclock but its wrong. the only reason to try something like that is if you do not want the CPU running at the fixed speed all the time, Which if you have a proper CPU cooler having it run at a fixed OC is not an issue.

Please do a little research before posting, this has been the norm since sandy. What you describe was only common before turbo was introduced. I think you are confused on what turbo actually means, its not a seperate setting or something it is integral to how the CPU clocks up and down. All you have to do from sandy on up is adjust the turbo ratio and volts, and most times you dont even have to touch volts as the motherboard will increase that as you turn the turbo multiplier up.

Again what you are describing is the old old way of doing things, no one overclocks like that anymore. If we are talking about socket 1156 and 1366 you would be correct, but those are nearly 10 year old platforms.

Please do a little research before posting, this has been the norm since sandy. What you describe was only common before turbo was introduced. I think you are confused on what turbo actually means, its not a seperate setting or something it is integral to how the CPU clocks up and down. All you have to do from sandy on up is adjust the turbo ratio and volts, and most times you dont even have to touch volts as the motherboard will increase that as you turn the turbo multiplier up.

Again what you are describing is the old old way of doing things, no one overclocks like that anymore. If we are talking about socket 1156 and 1366 you would be correct, but those are nearly 10 year old platforms.
    " Turbo tuning " is =/= overclocking. as for your claim that no one core multiplier overclocks ... you might want to do some research because that IS how you overclock, but don't want to listen to me? fine listen to Linus.

That's where your confusion comes in, turbo overclocking IS multiplier overclocking. You thought turbo was something different.

Uh-huh, because a OCable CPU with a Motherboard that can not OC is more than fine. He should most definitely get a Motherboard that and OC his CPU. After a GPU and PSU of course.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact his PSU seems decent quality, all he needs is a GPU:
    https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/20...-750-y-tx-850/

Uses channelwell internals, and per that review is a pretty decent PSU.
    well, he edited out the k, however, if you look at the first response, it was quoted where he DID have a k, so you can see the confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

That's where your confusion comes in, turbo overclocking IS multiplier overclocking. You thought turbo was something different.
    No, turbo is something else. Multiplier OC and Turbo OC are not the same thing at all. Turbo is what is on by default. Take my 4690k for example. It has a stock speed of 3.5 and a Max Turbo Frequency of 3.9. So if all I used was Turbo, then my Max OC would be 3.9. This is intels own terminology:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80811/...up-to-3_90-GHz

So if it has a Max Turbo Frequency of 3.9 and I used a multiplier to OC it to 4.4, that can not be considered the same thing as Turbo, as the Max Turbo Frequency is 3.9 and I am well beyond that. I am pretty sure it is you that has what turbo is confused, because you think it is the same thing as multiplier OCing and it's not.

GPU and PSU as others have said... CPU/Motherboard will do nothing but waste money.