Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Going along this line of reasoning, they likely changed it because of a potential misuse of it outside of what enemygrid was already doing. Most likely the grid of nameplates wasn't an issue but a potential addon that could have severely trivialized things was most likely thought of and they just nipped it in the bud.
    So they just break an addon because people might do something they don't like? Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    So they just break an addon because people might do something they don't like? Genius.
    No they may do something that trivializes something else. Similar to how ert trivialized archimondes chaos beams.

No they may do something that trivializes something else. Similar to how ert trivialized archimondes chaos beams.
    Any thoughts on where nameplate unit IDs would have led us that would have been considered over-trivialization? This is kind of where my head scratching is at because finally being able to interact properly with NPCs other than boss1-5 doesn't trivialize any game play in my humble opinion. It seemed merely like a long overdue quality of life change for the game.

GetPlayerFacing()/GetPlayerMapPosition() is a very different story. Obviously that allows ERT/DBM and other add-ons to do very sophisticated automation that can trivialize encounter mechanics.

Interesting though that there has been some sort of shift in policy on how to tackle this situations inside of Blizzard. We've used APIs like GetPlayerMapPosition() for years and years to implement features like AOE advice/clusters in VuhDo. Blizzard was perfectly content with this for a very long time. Perhaps it is how far developers went using these APIs in add-ons like ERT that is causing them to act so quickly and decisively wrt Enemy Grid and nameplay unit IDs.

The nameplates themselves might not be overboard, but it's when you combine them with a few other things - mouse macros and dynamically sorting nameplates based on boss fight.

Realistically, as a ranged dot class, I only care about the top 3 targets. I can't attack more than that anyway. So what I really want is just three nameplates. I don't even need mouse macros. I just need some buttons below the name plates, and then I need the buttons to target the name plates, and then I need the targets that fill the nameplates to change depending on whatever my current priority is.

If I can get that behavior, I'm basically just clicking those 3 plates like a robot while watching my feet and making sure I'm not standing in crap.

In Mythic HFC, for better or for worse my biggest challenge wasn't the fights or the mechanics. It was my freaking UI. I was constantly trying to find a position where tab targetting worked well, or where I could see certain mobs appear, or where I could see the ground so that I could move out of stuff. If you take away this epic struggle-battle, you basically remove what little challenge is left in the game (for me, at least).

I'll be brutally honest, anything under tougher mythic bosses bores the heck out of me at this point. I've been playing the game for 10 years now. The easier modes of the game are not challenging to me anymore. I am bored of almost all aspects of the game. Most days I feel like I'm just sitting around waiting for the rest of my guild to learn the fights so that we can move on. I could play most of the classes in my guild better than about 75% of the players. This is not a brag - I am trying to explain the point that there's basically not much left to hold my interest. I find theorycrafting and messing around with SimC and micromanaging different gearsets more entertaining than actually playing the game at this point.

If you give me a grid that I can program to automate the decision-making process in fights, you pretty much remove the only challenge remaining. At that point I would literally just be playing with one hand while watching youtube - only "waking up" if the raid starts wiping for some reason or something.

Having a game too mod-able is a bad thing imo. And it's a pain, but there's a fine line between "quality of life" improvements and just entirely removing a huge chunk of the gameplay experience.

If you can't tell, I'm actually torn on the issue. Ultimately I don't care much one way or another - as I keep saying I just want whatever they end up with to be standardized. If the game is going to turn into a mod-happy "click to win" style, then just put it in the default game. If not, then I don't want it hiding behind an information wall.

Speaking towards guilds who need programmers. If you listen to some of the "hardcore" raiding guilds talking about the race to world first last expac, one of their biggest complaints was the feeling of inequality when competing against guilds with better programmers.

And finally, Blizzard puts a tremendous amount of stock in hardcore raiding guilds. I think the reason why is that these guilds are basically one of the major driving forces that keeps people playing after all these years. The race itself is exciting, but out of it you also get a lot of social media. The interviews with top raiders on podcasts, video blogs, etc... these minor gaming celebreties sell the game better than any advertising bliz could do. There's an army of teens idolizing the Midwinters (or whoever is currently on top) in the wow raiding world. Even just feeling like they are a part of that world is enough to keep them playing. Apart from being a good game, the raiding scene and all the buzz that surrounds it is doing a tremendous amount to perpetuate the game.

So with that in mind - yes, every decision Bliz makes about the game HEAVILY factors how it affects top guilds, and raiding.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    Any thoughts on where nameplate unit IDs would have led us that would have been considered over-trivialization? This is kind of where my head scratching is at because finally being able to interact properly with NPCs other than boss1-5 doesn't trivialize any game play in my humble opinion. It seemed merely like a long overdue quality of life change for the game.
    Well, you could use it to put target frames under the mousebutton, thus making it so that people only have to click a specific mouse button and automate targeting and spellcasting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by elmoe420 View Post
    Kilee hit it on the head basically. I don't know the exact reasoning why, that was an educated guess on my part.

Kilee hit it on the head basically. I don't know the exact reasoning why, that was an educated guess on my part.
    I guess I just don't understand enough about how nameplates are implemented as to what would allow dynamic sorting to work for them. It is too bad they can't just block that like they do other things on secure unit frames rather than disabling the rest of the much needed functionality. I wonder why they don't just add more than 5 boss unit IDs at this point.

I totally understand how Blizzard doesn't want another CT Emergency Monitor but for DPS. They made it clear they wanted that type of automation dead for healers long ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If they would implement successive focus target frames, I would be happy as a clam.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles