Thread: Ketosis diet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Yeah, it's bullshit and not healthy in the long run. It can contribute to kidney problems, higher colesterol and frankly, it's way too aggressive for most people's needs.
    Also, most people today are overweight because of excessive intake of sugar. Ditch the soda and cookies, eat more veggies, fruit and lean meat and the healthier types of fat, such a teaspoon of olive oil, nuts, etc., and get your ass to the gym. That way, you have a set regimen that'll last you a lifetime. Fad diets wont.
    Keto might shed your pounds a little quicker, but what happens when you start eating "normally" again?

Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Yeah, it's bullshit and not healthy in the long run. It can contribute to kidney problems, higher colesterol and frankly, it's way too aggressive for most people's needs.
    Also, most people today are overweight because of excessive intake of sugar. Ditch the soda and cookies, eat more veggies, fruit and lean meat and the healthier types of fat, such a teaspoon of olive oil, nuts, etc., and get your ass to the gym. That way, you have a set regimen that'll last you a lifetime. Fad diets wont.
    Keto might shed your pounds a little quicker, but what happens when you start eating "normally" again?
    I lost about 18 kg through keto last year. I stopped after a few months and I am now, almost 1 year later, at around 14kg from my starting weight ( I put 4 kg back after I stopped keto ).

It's not that hard to NOT put weight back on after you lose it, just don't overindulge. And it's not unhealthy, the cholesterol in your blood is 'good' cholesterol, unlike previously.

And how is it aggressive? Your body can make its own carbs. It's not like you're starving yourself or anything, you're just making your body use fat as fuel.

Deleted
    A ketogenic diet is not defined by high fat consumption. A ketogenic diet is defined by the state of ketosis, in which your body produces ketones. For that to happen, the only thing you need to change is to restrict carbs. A 100% protein shake based diet is ketogenic.

That being said, anecdotal evidence inc: high triglycerides/cholesterol all my life (used to be as much as twice the upper limit for normal, both of them). Switched to keto 6 months ago. December, blood tests, cholesterol is on the lower end of normal and triglycerides are smack in the middle of the normal range. My uric acid went up a bit, but that's to be expected in the adaptation period due to the liver being busy with ketones instead of uric acid.

As for the ostheoporosis, my bone density went from the 92nd percentile to the 97th percentile for my age group (did dexa scans both at the start and in december).

Don't jump on hype-trains and research before giving advice. If done correctly (ie. no 90% fat diets - instead, a high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet), a ketogenic diet can be very healthy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just an update

I have since tried the keto diet and lost 15KG doing no exercise at all. I dont know what this sorcery is, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Just an update

I have since tried the keto diet and lost 15KG doing no exercise at all. I dont know what this sorcery is, but it works.
    It does tend to work, and if you added exercise to it, you may need to adjust your carb levels - increase your sodium potentially as well.

And grats!
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Just an update

I mean. If you dieted at all (AKA, was conscious about what you put into your mouth) , that probably gets the most credit. Without knowing exactly what you ate I don't think you can safely say it was the keto part of it that worked...

Anyway, congrats and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I mean. If you dieted at all (AKA, was conscious about what you put into your mouth) , that probably gets the most credit. Without knowing exactly what you ate I don't think you can safely say it was the keto part of it that worked...

Anyway, congrats and keep up the good work.
    When you lose weight you generally lose muscle as well. Keto ensures most of the weight lost is fat, since fat's broken down to create carbs.

So while keto might not be responsible for losing 15kg, it is responsible for those 15kg being mostly fat.