Deleted

Looking for GFX replacement! Please help!

Edit SOLVED:
    I settled on an ASUS 1060 OC card. It was the best economically, as I have other things I want to buy as well It's also what fits in my PC, without the need for an 8-pin converter thingamabob, and no need to fear being bottlenecked by the rest of my PC. I'm happy and hype!

So, two weeks ago or so, one of my crossfire 7950's died on me and I'm now on a single 7950. It doesn't cut it at all. Especially not when I'm looking into getting some of the new FPS games, like Battlefield 1, where my card is barely over the minimum requirement.
    I've been spending several days looking at comparisons of new cards and so on and I still can't make heads or tails of certain things.

Firstly, how does SLI and Crossfire work? I've read strange reports that you no longer use a bridge for it and that some cards, such as the 1060 3GB doesn't even support SLI. Is that true? I feel like I'd want to buy a mid-range card now and if I want more juice, buy a second one later on. Is that a possibility still?

Secondly
    , would any card such as the 1060 3GB, 6GB variant or the RX 480 equivalents be an upgrade to what I used to have with my 2 crossfire cards? I know they're all better than a single 7950. But I'm wondering how much I'm gonna have to spend to get a new experience, not just something better than my single 7950.

Thirdly, space is a premium in my PC. My single 7950 card fits, with no room to spare. But when I had both cards in there, the second card left NO room on the side towards my harddrives. I worry about the length and thickness of the new cards. Are new cards smaller or does that depend on how expensive a card I buy? I can't seem to find the dimensions on some models.

My PC is an i7-2700 at 3.5Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM and a motherboard I don't recall the model of, with an 850W powersupply.
    I'm looking for something fitting for 1080p gaming, as that's the kind of monitor I'm stuck with.

Which brings me to my fourth question: With all this in mind, what would you recommend for me? Would a single 1060 3/6gb do? Should I go for a 1070 instead? Would a high end card be overkill? How do the current cards look as an investment for the future? Because when I get a new card, or two, I will not buy new ones for a few years.
    My budget is preferably in the 250-300 dollar range, but up to 400 can be part of the consideration.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2016-10-27 at 04:27 PM.

A 7950 is still a pretty fast card

http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-...rks/page2.html

Even on ultra you are looking at high 40's low 50's, drop down to high and i bet a 7950 can maintain 60 fps. Pretty impressive for a card that came out in 2012.

1070 or a 1060(6GB).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    A 7950 is still a pretty fast card

http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-...rks/page2.html

Even on ultra you are looking at high 40's low 50's, drop down to high and i bet a 7950 can maintain 60 fps. Pretty impressive for a card that came out in 2012.
    These are not the framerates I felt like I had in the beta, at all. And in the beta, I had both my cards working.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    1070 or a 1060(6GB).
    I'm slightly concerned that I won't be able to get all the juice from a 1070 though, but it's looking damned interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    These are not the framerates I felt like I had in the beta, at all. And in the beta, I had both my cards working.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm slightly concerned that I won't be able to get all the juice from a 1070 though, but it's looking damned interesting.
    Thats probably because crossfire/sli is generally poo. Try out the game before you buy a GPU, might be surprised how well games play on a single 7950. Ive still got a gtx 760, still plays most new titles on high at 60 fps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Thats probably because crossfire/sli is generally poo. Try out the game before you buy a GPU, might be surprised how well games play on a single 7950. Ive still got a gtx 760, still plays most new titles on high at 60 fps.
    I just tried Doom in 1080p on Ultra with AA off, and I run it steadily at 60+.
    In Battlefield 4, I'm between 40-60 FPS on Ultra, some times dropping to 35 though.
    When I turn off AA and that, I'm steadily around 60. BUt I'm so used to using AA

Ech, I'm still on the fence about this.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2016-10-27 at 04:05 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's completely understandable, but when you go to upgrade the rest of your computer some day down the line, you'll already have a fantastic GPU you can use. Win/Win imo c:

Deleted
    And that's completely understandable, but when you go to upgrade the rest of your computer some day down the line, you'll already have a fantastic GPU you can use. Win/Win imo c:
    Yes, this is a consideration I'm making!

Yes, this is a consideration I'm making!
    Congrats on the 1060, you'll enjoy it. c:

Deleted
    Congrats on the 1060, you'll enjoy it. c:
    Thank you! Yes, I definetly will! It's a massive improvement to my single 7950 and I managed to get one that was OC and still only used a 6-pin connector!