Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Australians are scared of Free speech

18c

Tony Abbott has declared that the use of section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act to stifle free speech is getting “out of hand’’ as criticism surrounding the lodging of a complaint about a provocative cartoon by Bill Leak mounted.

A Cartoon was deemed offensive showing indigenous Australians.
    It was proocative, but as Bill Leak explained.. was not raciest.

Because like Tony Abbott and some Australian Politicians, there is concern about the local Indigenous people
    being stuck on Welfare & Alcohol.

I love Australias Indigenous people..
    But due to Tribalisim all the money goes to the top of the heirachy..little goes to the real people
    I do not dare put the cartoon on this site.. I am scared just writing this.

Tony Abbott..Awesome Man

- - - Updated - - -

here is the Cartoon.. Je suis Charlie Je Suis Bill Leak

Mods if you need to take it down, then down it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opi...dd732643bebe84

- - - Updated - - -

Its just getting so Reduckulous..down under.. Malcolm Turnull just wanted the PM title..He does fuck all.. Bring back Tony

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...4c5148a9b11e27

Evidence that a majority of Australians — including Coalition, Labor and Greens supporters — oppose a racial discrimination case brought against three Queensland University students demonstrates public “outrage” that free speech is being “muzzled”, says Liberal MP Michael Sukkar.

A special Newspoll, conducted exclusively for The Australian, reveals 57 per cent of people oppose the action, under which the students are being sued for $250,000 after making comments on Facebook about segregation when students were told to leave an indigenous-only computer lab.

The poll of 1673 people taken at the weekend found 21 per cent of Australians were in favour of the legal action against the Queensland University of Technology students, while 22 per cent were uncommitted.

Mr Sukkar said it was “no great shock” that Australians believed the court case, brought under section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, was “absolutely outrageous”. He criticised the lawsuit as “vexatious”.

“What 18C is doing here is providing the most perverse situations, where you’ve got people being muzzled, it’s basically being used to stop people expressing themselves and in the case of university students is being used in really a nasty fashion against what I consider to be three very normal, decent, young university students,” he told Sky News.

“I’m surprised the number is not higher than 57, but 57 is obviously is a very, very strong figure.”

More: Majority opposes 18C uni case
    More: Combine 18C revision with new law
    More: 18C change about ‘fixing a wrong’

Labor frontbencher Tim Hammond said section 18C had “served us very well” and cautioned politicians against pre-empting the courts’ rulings.

“What this really speaks to is, in my view, an irresponsible attempt by (the Attorney-General) Senator (George) Brandis and the extreme right … to try and give justification or give license to those who would be inclined to use bigotry and hate speech in order to marginalise minorities that, as a country, we have fought very hard to ensure that their freedoms are protected,” he said.

“Let’s not forget that the clause within 18C is whether minority groups are protected from hate speech that is reasonably likely to offend. Now the reasonable person test is a robust test, it’s a common sense test, and again it served us very well through the judicial reasoning process.”

Mr Hammond cautioned politicians against impugning the constitutional separation of powers by branding lawsuits before the courts “vexatious”.

“Michael can’t have it both ways. You can’t crow reliance in relation to these sort of Newspoll figures today but tuck in behind Malcolm Turnbull who seemed to dismiss dismal Newspoll figures in relation to how his own government and his own popularity was going yesterday.”

Tasmanian Liberal senator Eric Abetz said the Newspoll bolstered the case for “urgent” reform of the Racial Discrimination Act.

“It’s now very clear that section 18C is being used to both push political agendas and to seek go-away money,” Senator Abetz said.

“Coalition senators have introduced a bill into the Senate to amend section 18C because we firmly believe that free speech is vital for a free society.

“The fact that the QUT case has dragged on for more than three years and the Commission’s self-initiated witch hunt against Bill Leak highlights that of 18C is vital.

“If nothing else, the poll published in The Australian today confirms that Australians value freedom of speech.”

Andrew Laming, a Queensland Coalition MP, questioned the worth of pressing for discrimination law reform when it was opposed by a clear majority of senators and influential ethnic community groups. Although he supported changing the law, Dr Laming said it was up to the law’s most strident critics to make the case for change.
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2016-10-27 at 07:48 AM.

Nope OP - we are not.

We have however been somewhat infected by the political correctness originating in the US.

We resist it - but the US has a lot of influence on the world, so it is tough.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame the welfare system. Its fucking fucked here. Should practically get rid of it and see people smarten up real fucking quick or simply just die or go homeless.

(clarification I agree with the cartoon). Doesn't help the 'politically correct' shit but at least solves another problem!
    Last edited by Crackleslap; 2016-10-27 at 08:56 AM.

Well I think a lot more votes will go to Pauline Hanson & One Nation if Malcolm Turnbull remains PM.

I kinda look at One Nation as a viable alternative if Malcolm Turnbull is still the PM in 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nope OP - we are not.

We have however been somewhat infected by the political correctness originating in the US.

We resist it - but the US has a lot of influence on the world, so it is tough.
    Somehow i doubt it.
    Reminds me of movie made by 3 feminists about men's right's that was shut down by other feminists from screening because it didn't fit their shit ideology over there, and not a single voice was raised against it until afterward.
    You're not alone though, British suffer just as much, if not more. Hell you can contribute all this bullshit to starting in the UK.

Hell it's even starting to creep up in Norway aswell.

Are people under the impression that something being "free speech" prevents it from being racist?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Are people under the impression that something being "free speech" prevents it from being racist?
    Someone I know went to the US and got pounced on for using a couple of common Aussie expressions, they thought he was racist.

I frequently get called racist for talking about Coon and Crackers (a snack) in international forums.

So yeah - free speech is being taken away by too much PC.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Someone I know went to the US and got pounced on for using a couple of common Aussie expressions, they thought he was racist.

I frequently get called racist for talking about Coon and Crackers (a snack) in international forums.

So yeah - free speech is being taken away by too much PC.
    Can you explain to me how exactly are you losing your freedom of speech, if others use theirs to respond to you? Logic here doesn't really match. Or is freedom of speech in your opinion free only for you, as long as no one else has one to speak against you, for whatever reason?

Freedom of speech =/= Freedom of consequence. You seem to confuse them as the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

So I take it its good to go onto Facebook and an indigenous only computer lab at Universiity
    and comment about segregation.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Can you explain to me how exactly are you losing your freedom of speech,
    I'm forced to curtail a lot of what I say....

I'm forced to curtail a lot of what I say....
    Again, just because you don't like the consequences of saying what you want, doesn't mean you can't say whatever it is you wanted. You stop yourself, knowing that some people are also free to express their dislike of what you might say. No one else stops you, but yourself.

Can you explain to me how exactly are you losing your freedom of speech, if others use theirs to respond to you? Logic here doesn't really match. Or is freedom of speech in your opinion free only for you, as long as no one else has one to speak against you, for whatever reason?

Freedom of speech =/= Freedom of consequence. You seem to confuse them as the same.
    If you get bullied for using your free speech, then I don't think you're really free. You aren't really being heard if you are scared to say something, of if someone is screaming over top of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, just because you don't like the consequences of saying what you want, doesn't mean you can't say whatever it is you wanted. You stop yourself, knowing that some people are also free to express their dislike of what you might say. No one else stops you, but yourself.
    With that line of thinking, then I guess I have freedom to rob banks? I mean, I might not like the consequences.. but you know. I have the ability to do so... technically.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    With that line of thinking, then I guess I have freedom to rob banks? I mean, I might not like the consequences.. but you know. I have the ability to do so... technically.
    What's your point? Is there spacelord magic physically preventing you? It's always funny when the people crying about PC destroying 'freedom of speech', actually seem to have no clue what that means in the first place. It's always some twisted selfish version of freedom of all consequences instead. It has never worked that way, ever.

What's your point? Is there spacelord magic physically preventing you? It's always funny when the people crying about PC destroying 'freedom of speech', actually seem to have no clue what that means in the first place. It's always some twisted selfish version of freedom of all consequences instead. It has never worked that way, ever.
    I've never said anything like that.

What I did say, is that being harassed isn't really freedom. If harassment still means you're free... "voter harassment" should be fine too... suppression etc.

This one caused a lot of controversy in the US recently. It was critical of Obama who was going soft on illegal immigrants at that time.

I think the newspaper admins had the artist remove the father's mustache so he wouldn't look so Mexican.

There can't be SJW laws in the US cause the First Amendment protects free speech, especially news media speech. That doesn't mean the newspaper won't cave to reader complaints if there are enough of them. And you have to keep your advertisers happy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I've never said anything like that.

What I did say, is that being harassed isn't really freedom. If harassment still means you're free... "voter harassment" should be fine too... suppression etc.
    If people disagreeing with you is immediately harassment and infringing your freedom of speech, then what is to say you are not harassing me right now, infringing on my freedom? To how stupid levels do you want to take it?

Deleted
    The Right to Free Speech means the government can't arrest you for what you say. It doesn't mean that anyone else has to listen to your bullshit, or host you while you share it. The 1st amendment doesn't shield you from criticism or consequences. If you're yelled at, boycotted, have your show canceled, or get banned from an Internet community, your free speech rights aren't being violated. It's just that the people listening think you're an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    I blame the welfare system. Its fucking fucked here. Should practically get rid of it and see people smarten up real fucking quick or simply just die or go homeless.

(clarification I agree with the cartoon). Doesn't help the 'politically correct' shit but at least solves another problem!
    That was the plan for your lot to begin with
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

If people disagreeing with you is immediately harassment and infringing your freedom of speech, then what is to say you are not harassing me right now, infringing on my freedom? To how stupid levels do you want to take it?
    Then how is simple voter ID laws infringing on a right? How is that any different? The only difference might be whichever thing you're more biased for/against. Both that and the OPs scenario require you to do deal with something annoying, but its not necessarily blocking you from doing something. And yet I'm sure you'll say otherwise.

Speaking of consequence; harassing people is specifically why we get infractions on MMO-C. Because technically allowing that sort of behavior (calling people you don't agree with trolls, or other names) impedes speech, gives an incentive to act out to suppress speech you dislike, etc.

Its like that recent thread we had about a university in Canada.... some guy hosted an event, people who disagreed showed up with noisemakers and bullhorns, formed lines, pushed and kicked people. How is that anything BUT bullying?