Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Woman wins 70 million dollar lawsuit over baby powder.

She felt the company should put a label on the product, no matter how extremely rare (or even true) that it can cause cancer.

Can you guess the state? I bet you can before you even click this link.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    She felt the company should put a label on the product, no matter how extremely rare (or even true) that it can cause cancer.

California warning labels are an utter joke already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

Not sure why i instantly started singing California Love on my head

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything is gonna need a warning label soon. Half of a product is gonna be covered in disclaimers saying that the company is not responsible for bad things that happen to you.

The lady in the article wants another cancer warning on the off chance that it may have been caused by this product. Which is far from proven. And that's an example of two of the greatest problems with the cancer warnings in California.

1) Many are known only to the state of California to cause cancer. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, there is no good evidence for it. So what the fuck does California's govt know that the rest of the world doesn't?
    2) Warnings on everything means nobody gives a shit, even about the ones that do cause cancer. Hence no real effect on public health from this nonsense. It's 'the boy who cried wolf' on a large scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Why is she putting baby powder on her vajayjay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus Christ. She was douching with baby powder for 45 years? That's intense.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    Deborah Giannecchini, 63, said she had used Johnson & Johnson for feminine hygiene for 45 years before she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
    Right, had nothing to do with her being old. It was the powder she used for 45 years.......

Giannecchini began her lawsuit in 2012 when her daughter saw an ad offering legal representation for people with ovarian cancer who had used talcum powder.
    So now we know why she was suing. One of those T.V. ad lawyers trying to make a buck. >.>

Only in the land of ridiculous lawsuits.... Crap like that wouldn't fly here for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Actually, the reason for the large reward is that J&J was found to have purposefully concealed critical information about talcum's safety for more than 40 years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/johnson-...-cause-cancer/

At the trial in Fox's case, Dr. Daniel Cramer, Director of the OB/GYN Epidemiology Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, and an expert who testified for the plaintiff, said he conducted his own study that shows an increased risk of ovarian cancer with talcum powder use.

"I think the link is a persuasive one," Cramer told CBS Boston. "There have been more than 20 epidemiologic studies and a majority of these have found an elevated risk, and when you combine those risks into a single estimate, it is highly significant."

Fox's attorneys also introduced into evidence a September 1997 internal letter from a Johnson & Johnson medical consultant suggesting that denying the risks could mean that "... the talc industry will be perceived by the public like it perceives the cigarette industry: denying the obvious in the face of all evidence to the contrary."
    This is a similar issue to why the spilled McDonald's coffee resulted in a large settlement in the 1990s. It isn't about the dangers as much as the fact that these companies had information in hand about potential dangers and actual incidents, and purposefully buried them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was Florida... Is there some California meme I'm missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Everything causes cancer in California. Look at labels on things.

Like wood dust that is known to cause cancer in California. But nowhere else. California sounds terrible imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    California is where the stupid lawsuits are mostly from. Good exception being that one that the artist of Rick and Morty made fun of recently.

They should warn that "Baby powder" is not actually pulverized infants.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always wondered why this floor cleaner has contents 'known to the state of California to cause cancer' and not, you know, the rest of the world.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Only in the land of ridiculous lawsuits.... Crap like that wouldn't fly here for a second.
    California the liberal utopian safe place.

GMO labels are a big thing there.
    It relates to "think of the children" (and some aspects of american liberalism), through the same mechanism that anti-gmo or antivaxxers follow: science is scary and untrustworthy.
    As far as memes go, Florida is reckless, Cali is a comical safe space.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-10-31 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    This is a similar issue to why the spilled McDonald's coffee resulted in a large settlement in the 1990s. It isn't about the dangers as much as the fact that these companies had information in hand about potential dangers and actual incidents, and purposefully buried them.
    It wasn't that McDonald's buried the data they had on their coffee causing disfiguring burns. The plaintiff's lawyers easily found it during pre-trial discovery, and their QA guy openly admitted to it when he was called to testify. What turned the jury against them is that they considered the whole thing a joke, and that their decision to put corporate profits over consumer safety was the obvious and unquestionable choice. Plus it was the fact that the plaintiff in question was an elderly woman who was burned so badly she needed multiple skin grafts and other reparative surgeries on her groin and genitals.

I don't care how much you believe that frivolous lawsuits are rampant; when someone shows you a picture of a melted vagina, you're probably gonna be sympathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Everything causes cancer in California. Look at labels on things.

Like wood dust that is known to cause cancer in California. But nowhere else. California sounds terrible imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    California is where the stupid lawsuits are mostly from. Good exception being that one that the artist of Rick and Morty made fun of recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    GMO labels are a big thing there.
    It relates to "think of the children" (and some aspects of american liberalism), through the same mechanism that anti-gmo or antivaxxers follow: science is scary and untrustworthy.
    As far as memes go, Florida is reckless, Cali is a comical safe space.
    Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    California the liberal utopian safe place.
    Consumers have a right to know the facts and companies regardless of who they are shouldnt hide facts just because they want profits to stay high. If you know something is having a risk you have to disclose it really it is common sense yet only liberals seems to know this stuff right wingers are just to cuddly with the corporate greed that someone getting cancer is oh well tough shit on you but profit matters more.