Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Bethesda Review Policy - Perfection Needs No Review

Ran into this video this morning on a small youtube channel I subscribe to and found it hilarious.

Tried to post it on reddit earlier but mods blocked it because I guess it does not have enough views yet according to their message...Anyway...

If you don't know about Bethesda's review policy check out the link below.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/42QH...d-game-reviews

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how he doesn't know the story behind why Fallout: New Vegas was so broken and buggy at launch. Doesn't do his research before releasing a video. This fucking guy. This move is anti-consumer. And I wish people would understand that.

Doom's multiplayer beta WAS bland and boring. It was nothing like Unreal Tournament or Quake like people wanted it to be. They advertised it as an old school shooter multiplayer game and what was in the beta wasn't that. Then when they pulled this shit they said "WE WANT EVERYONE TO EXPERIENCE THE GAME AT THE SAME TIME!!" Then why release a fucking beta then?

Ubisoft pulled the same shit with Assassin's Creed: Unity. And that game turned out to be garbage. I remember because I bought it and there were no reviews available. Reviews turned out to be mixed for it too but the game was buggy as hell.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2016-10-27 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    I love how he doesn't know the story behind why Fallout: New Vegas was so broken and buggy at launch. Doesn't do his research before releasing a video. This fucking guy. This move is anti-consumer. And I wish people would understand that.
    What story? I played it on the 360 and only ran into some minor issues but I do remember hearing about quite a few widespread issues, although I never heard about a specific reason or story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy16 View Post
    What story? I played it on the 360 and only ran into some minor issues but I do remember hearing about quite a few widespread issues, although I never heard about a specific reason or story.
    On release, the game would erase your save games when you saved more than x number of times or played more than x number of minutes.

Doom's multiplayer beta WAS bland and boring. It was nothing like Unreal Tournament or Quake like people wanted it to be. They advertised it as an old school shooter multiplayer game and what was in the beta wasn't that. Then when they pulled this shit they said "WE WANT EVERYONE TO EXPERIENCE THE GAME AT THE SAME TIME!!" Then why release a fucking beta then?

Ubisoft pulled the same shit with Assassin's Creed: Unity. And that game turned out to be garbage. I remember because I bought it and there were no reviews available. Reviews turned out to be mixed for it too but the game was buggy as hell.

You are aware this is basically satire right? The whole thing is basically full of sarcasm. He is specifically calling out New Vegas for being broken and talking about how Doom's multiplayer was bland and there were other reasons for people to be worried about the game prior to release (basically it wasn't all about the lack of pre-release copies).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy16 View Post
    Save games being erased. Constant freezing. Infinite loading screens. Tons of cut content. All because Zenimax pushed the game out before it was ready. The game wasn't perfect. And as far as I know nobody got to review the game on PS3, where the most issues were.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2016-10-27 at 09:19 PM.

Save games being erased. Constant freezing. Infinite loading screens. Tons of cut content. All because Zenimax pushed the game out before it was ready. The game wasn't perfect. And as far as I know nobody got to review the game on PS3, where the most issues were.
    Yeah I am pretty sure that is what he is getting at. It sounds like he basically had that same issue and is specifically talking about New Vegas. As I said, this is definitely done sarcastically.

Yawn, release date embargos or not sending out review copies is bad for consumers but it's only because there is usually no demo or trial versions of games available.

Don't let crybabies in the media or youtube full you- they don't care about letting you know how good or bad a game is(their own personal opinion) they care about staying relevant and getting review copies so you will continue to watch them.

In reality if publishers wanted to go full pro consumer they would put demo/trial versions of their games up for download which would be much better for judging if you want to buy a game or not then some random guys opinion who is now butt hurt bethesda didn't send him a review code.(which btw is company policy, and I'm pretty sure Doom was a good game in spite of having the same policy).

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I guess they weren't happy with reactions to F4. And after it got pretty uneven reception on both steam and metacritic, people will be more carefull about their games so they need counter-measures for that.

I'll say one thing, it's sure ironic how folks suddenly care so much about reviews despite the past few years of saying how people make their decisions based on YouTube videos rather than reading reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Love how people like boogie and totalbiscuit keep crying about this just because it'll hurt their wallet in the end. So what if you get a copy on the same day as the rest of us, you're not IGN or Gamespot so you don't need a whole week to review the game.

This is fair and square and I hope more companies do this from now on. It is thanks to those early copies that we've gotten big spoilers beforehand mainly because someone always finds a way to cheat the system to get on the media list even though they're not supposed to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I guess they weren't happy with reactions to F4. And after it got pretty uneven reception on both steam and metacritic, people will be more carefull about their games so they need counter-measures for that.
    Well, in the end they're all companies, they're there to make money. So it is to be expected, but I like this.

Easy fix for all this, stop pre-ordering games. I know it's tough, but waiting an extra week or even a extra month is really in everyone's best interest. I know that's just pure madness talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    In reality if publishers wanted to go full pro consumer they would put demo/trial versions of their games up for download which would be much better for judging if you want to buy a game or not then some random guys opinion who is now butt hurt bethesda didn't send him a review code.(which btw is company policy, and I'm pretty sure Doom was a good game in spite of having the same policy).
    While I agree demos and trials should make a come back, as they were the best way to decide if you should buy a game, publishers have basically stopped doing that (at least until their game has been out a while).

Also, there is no way in hell a channel as small as this ever got review copies from Bethesda. He seems to review mostly smaller indie games anyway, so I don't think he has any motivation other than probably the motivation to grow his channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post

Well, in the end they're all companies, they're there to make money. So it is to be expected, but I like this.
    To be fair, by acting like you have something to hide you are more likely to actually discourage people to buy your product. Unless they are fans of surprise eggs.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    To be fair, by acting like you have something to hide you are more likely to actually discourage people to buy your product. Unless they are fans of surprise eggs.
    Meh, I think people have faith in Bethesda, the only bad part was New Vegas' launch but so many games have issues at launch these days, no game is perfect like the old era when games used to be polished 100%.

Heck, you saw WoD at launch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'll say one thing, it's sure ironic how folks suddenly care so much about reviews despite the past few years of saying how people make their decisions based on YouTube videos rather than reading reviews.
    This. For years the (fake?) outrage about bought reviews and now the outrage about a publisher preventing or at least filtering pre-release reviews.

The only developer I can think of that doesn't come out with really buggy games at launch is Nintendo and they still can miss something.

Case in point: Peach Turnip Ban glitch from Smash 3DS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Luckily for me I don't buy western games anymore apart from wow.

Deleted
    I wish that ALL gaming companies move towards this policy, making the review "journalism" a fair ground for everyone, which only helps the consumers at the end.

For those that hate the policy, stop pre-ordering or day-one buying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farron69 View Post
    This is fair and square and I hope more companies do this from now on. It is thanks to those early copies that we've gotten big spoilers beforehand mainly because someone always finds a way to cheat the system to get on the media list even though they're not supposed to.
    There is always some one willing to break the review date just to get some extra clicks. Well, not anymore with Bethesda.

Deleted
    Discourage who? Normal people didn't get previews unless it was demos.

As for the media hacks bawwwwing about not getting their freebies, this picture sums up my thoughts.