Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Can we talk about suicide?

Not sure if this subject is taboo. A customer, actually my first customer ever phoned me up the other day and requested a furnace cleaning. She told me about her husband and how he hung himself in the backyard shed..it took 8 tries apparently. It really got me thinking about life a lot. There has been many days where I got depressed and stuff...but knowing this man took his life because his wife basically fired him from their own painting company...his drinking was always a factor..i smelt it on his breath whenever I talked to him.

So what is it guys..is it just a bunch of chemical reactions that is swirling thru you brain at that moment or what? Suicide is scary to me.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it scares you don't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No, no we can't. It's against the forum rules last I heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Okay, close the thread.

Can't you get free Xanax in Canada?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Can't you get free Xanax in Canada?
    I don't know. I'm not suicidal. Just a customer telling me her story has got me thinking about my life.

My grandfather on my dad's side commited suicide. He had some mental issues. I also have mental issues and have thought about and attempted to. However I stopped myself and went to the hospital.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Everything is just a bunch of chemicals swirling in your body.

The choice and commitment to suicide is a fundamental question of one's being. Ending your own life is one of the most rational decisions one can make if they have no value in their life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    That's awful, have you concidered tramadol?
    i'm the furthest thing from suicidal...i'm talking about a customer that phoned me up the other day. I have way too much beer drinking and pot smoking to do for fucks sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see what you are doing. Good job lol

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My brother committed suicide 2 years ago earlier this week (Oct 22nd).
    IDK, to be honest, from what I saw from him, it seems like the kind of thing that people think about doing for a long time, then get to the point where they plan on doing it, then from that point they just wait for a time that they feel is a justification.
    The vast majority of suicides could be prevented if the people had just sought help, or even accepted help from the people who care about them. The problem with free will though, is that we are all free to make our own choices, no matter how destructive they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Everything is just a bunch of chemicals swirling in your body.

The choice and commitment to suicide is a fundamental question of one's being. Ending your own life is one of the most rational decisions one can make if they have no value in their life.
    What?!

Killing yourself is not a decision based upon rationality. It's a decision based on chemical imbalances and massive emotional stimuli. Most people, once they have a chance to talk to a professional, realize that the thought of suicide was selfish.

It is caused by genetics, environment, and other variants.

7+ Year Old Account
    I was just listening to Suicide is Painless song today It is the theme song for MASH.

Last edited by Drew79; 2016-10-28 at 02:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51
    Killing yourself is not a decision based upon rationality. It's a decision based on chemical imbalances and massive emotional stimuli. Most people, once they have a chance to talk to a professional, realize that the thought of suicide was selfish.
    That is one fact pattern. It is not the only one. There are people who have health conditions that make a case for allowing assisted suicide, Terry Pratchett made that case more eloquently than I could.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Growing up, there was a kid next door about a year younger than my brother (so about 5 years younger than me). He would come every summer to his grandparents house who were my neighbors. At first he was really annoying, but over the years he, my brother and myself became pretty inseparable. We knew him from the time he was about eight until his death at age sixteen. His mother and stepfather lived in Chicago and he lived with them throughout the school year. One year they moved to Arizona and Jason came home after school one day to find his mother and two year old sister floating in their swimming pool. The police ruled it an accidental drowning, but the step father collected the life insurance and fled to Mexico leaving Jason basically completely on his own so his father flew to Arizona and brought him to Georgia to live permanently. He got into trouble in school starting fights and things like that, just acting out in general.

After a while, his father sent him to live full time with his grandparents next door to us. Over this period of time, we had grown really close and did just about everything together. My mother and father split up and my brother left with her when she moved into a new house so he didn't get to see Jason as much as in the past. I graduated and started working full time and didn't have a lot of free time myself. Jason once went to his fathers house to visit, but felt like his dad was paying a lot more attention to his wife and step children and I think Jason felt like his dad was tired of dealing with him after all the trouble he'd been getting into at school. He went into his dads garage and drank antifreeze. He was found in time and rushed to the hospital, but required weekly dialysis and would have to go weekly for the rest of his life. His dad and grandparents thought he was just trying to get their attention.

My mother told them he needed to go into therapy and his dad needed to be there with him and needed to work on their relationship and help him come to terms with what had happened to his mother and baby sister. His family continued to insist that he was just trying to get attention and it wasn't a serious problem. He was put on antidepressants and became somewhat of an emotionless zombie. I saw him pretty often, but he started hanging out with these trashy kids up the street and stealing shit in order to pay for weed and stealing alcohol and whatnot, all of which i assume doesn't mix well with antidepressants.

His family finally decided he'd been on antidepressants long enough to work out his emotions on his own and stopped buying them. About a week later, he hung himself outside my bedroom window. I remember being on the phone with my girlfriend at the time arguing about something stupid and hearing the dogs outside going crazy. I opened the back door and shouted for them to shut up. He'd hung himself on the lowest branch of a magnolia tree using an extension cord. The branch was only about 4 1/2 feet off the ground and he was a tall kid so he could have stood up at any time had he wanted to.

His family acted like they were caught completely off guard and like it was something they'd never had an inkling could possibly happen.

I think suicide can be the result of many things, chemical imbalances or just a real desire to no longer participate in the day to day of this world. I believe Jasons case was a mix of both. I had an uncle who committed suicide at the age of 26. This was a few years after my grandmother was murdered and he'd always been a mamas boy and i think he just genuinely felt lost and hopeless knowing that she would never be in his life again. Also, the detectives in my grandmothers case royally fucked up every single step of the investigation and even went as far as to allowing the lead suspect into the house while they were taking crime scene photos so all the evidence relating to this person, the court basically ignored due to seeing him in the crime scene photos and not being able to prove his hair and fingerprints appeared at the time of the murder and not at the time the photos were taken. So eventually the incompetent police department tried to blame my uncle who lived with my grandmother and was asleep upstairs when she was killed. This further made him feel like this world wasn't worth being a part of, I believe.

In both my uncle and Jasons cases, I think suicide was a mistake and there was still a lot here for them, but ultimately, it is their decision whether they stay or go and I do respect their decisions and hope they found peace or at least brought an end to their personal torment. I could never kill myself, no matter how bad it got, I'm far too afraid of death. Hell, I don't even like sleeping.

He is simply sick. It has nothing to do the people around him.

For example, his wife basically fired him from their own painting company.
    This is nothing. He doesn't lose anything. He still owns the company.

This is different from getting fired from a "normal" job.

Member of my family attempted suicide. Not much to discuss other than it just simply sucks.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a deep depression and stress feeling that get's eventually too far and one might do something that is most selfish thing to do.
    I've tried suicide twice. Stopped just before killing myself, because I remembered what my father always said: "it's selfish act and easy way out for the one who does it. But a lifelong torment for the most closest ones". That kinda made me feel guilty and I was not able to take my life.

Reason for the suicide attempts was that I born into wrong body and was too scared to tell anybody about it. Everything is good now, I've been able to tell my family and friends about it and started the process of M to F.

Anyway my stepsister did suicide. She got mental problems after religion she believed in abandoned her. I didn't personally know her too well but even mentioning her name to my father or stepmom changes the air in the room and their whole day might be ruined. It's many years already when she did the most selfish thing.

All I can say to anyone who gets that way is the mental state comes and goes and it does get better. When you're at rock bottom you have nowhere to go but up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.