Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[FROST DK] Currrent Stat Priority post 7.1

Hello fellow DK's,

As you might assume from the title of this thread I want to discuss with you the current stat priority for our Frost DK post 7.1 as there is currently a confusion present.

The following stat priority are suggested by:

Icy Veins (Guide updated yesterday): Strength > Versatility > Critical Strike > Haste > Mastery
    Simulation Craft (ilvl 865 build): Strength > Critical Strike > Mastery > Haste > Versatility

Top Frost DKs according to warcraftlogs have mixed stats such as either having focused on crit, haste or mastery.
    I for myself have spent enough gold to change my gear for multiple setups such as either focusing on haste mastery together or focusing on crit according to the guide and didn't come up with a satisfying solution.

Now dear friends: What do you think is currently our stat priority? I want to hear your opinion and discuss it for multiple builds such as Machine Gun or GA etc. Let me know If I should add something to this first post so that others can see it easier.

-Idraah

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say haste is not that great right now because it requires a higher amount of points to give 1% compared to the other stats.

Mastery is good but it has no effect on Oblit damage.

Vers is usually a safe choice but it's BORING.

Crit looking to be pretty good.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

It really just depends on your gear. I'm 863 Ilvl with 25.25 Crit, 19.47 Haste, 29.42 Mast and 2.93 Vers.

Here's my priority for example.

http://imgur.com/a/rjVC4

Running RA/GA build.
    Last edited by protosync; 2016-10-28 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Talents

Personally, I try to be at 20% haste baseline so the gameplay is smooth with incoming resources, then it is just whatever has the most strength on it. I believe (but don't have numbers to back it up) that everything is very heavily front loaded with regards to the secondary stats right now. So I bet a lot of people are sitting at something like 25% crit, 20% haste, 30% mastery, 5% vers or something similar. I think as the gear goes up in ilvl you get smaller and smaller increases in secondary stats compared to strength.

So right now I am trying to shoot for haste at 20% and then balance crit, mastery and versatility. Of course, if I can pick up 100 strength for say 60 crit I will take that on my gear as well.

I think all of these stat priorities and such are really just not going to work when talking about stats anymore. The way the secondary stats work and appear to be heavily front loaded on the gear I think the stat weights for any given piece will change based on everything else. I am sure we have all been in the spot where you have an 840 piece with a socket and it is just flat out better than an 860 piece with no socket. As the expansion goes on, this will happen less and less as our strength becomes more and more powerful in relation to the secondary stats.

So there are a lot of different stat weights for frost dks, and everyone has a preference, but I would highly recommend at least giving this one a try. I have done a lot of research on frost dks because I was pretty pissed when I found out how bad they were at the beginning of legion lol, so I thought I would share my information. I hit the dummy a lot, and I mean, a lot. Shoot for 31% haste, 25% crit, and 28% mastery - you will not be disappointed. Haste has always been the best stat for dks, and if you disagree, you dont know how to play one lol. Using this stat weight, at IL 862, I was in the top 1% my first time through EN raid on 4 out of the 7 bosses for my IL.
    Last edited by Psymian; 2016-12-01 at 01:31 PM.

I personally sit around 25 crit, 20 haste, and as much mastery as I can get. So far (when simming) mastery has always been my highest priority stat. However, I took a look at the top parses for EN a couple minutes ago and man... they all seem to crank their haste way up.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...itholoz/simple
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ndantes/simple
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...z/Joker/simple

Couple of the top ten have theirs above 30%

My rotation feels really smooth at 20% but maybe I'm missing something. My highest parse so far was right above 70%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymian View Post
    So there are a lot of different stat weights for frost dks, and everyone has a preference, but I would highly recommend at least giving this one a try. I have done a lot of research on frost dks because I was pretty pissed when I found out how bad they were at the beginning of legion lol, so I thought I would share my information. I hit the dummy a lot, and I mean, a lot. Shoot for 31% haste, 25% crit, and 28% mastery - you will not be disappointed. Haste has always been the best stat for dks, and if you disagree, you dont know how to play one lol. Using this stat weight, at IL 862, I was in the top 1% my first time through EN raid on 4 out of the 7 bosses for my IL.
    Are you sure that amount of haste, crit and mastery is even obtainable at ilvl 863? I don't think that's the sweet spot anyway, you can hit top 1% for your ilvl with many different stat combinations. I took my 863 alt to EN heroic last week and got 99th percentile on a few fights (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done) - look for Abztinence. I think at the time I was somewhere around 22-23% haste, 24% crit, 30% mastery and 3% versa. Having the bracers helps of course but then again, we don't know what your gear looks like!

Could you share your character to have a look? Genuinly interested in your stat distribution and gear in general.

Many thanks!

The imaginary numbers you should be aiming for is 30-35% Crit and 20% haste, then get everything else in either Vers or Mastery, both are about the same as far as dps goes. (Althought Vers will probably win out with the -Damage Taken)

it will not let me post because it says I need to post a few times, wtf?

- - - Updated - - -

so I am posting a few lol

- - - Updated - - -

still wont let me. well, I ended at 464 and I died at the end because the healers didnt keep me up, I am IL 874, check out psymian-shadow council, IL 874 xavius kill dec 1st. If I didnt die, I would have exceeded 500.

With so many mixed opinions and just needing everything in general it sounds like Frost DKs may as well just equip highest ilvl gear they can without letting haste drop below 20%.

It's weird how the different stats... actually being balanced with each other? Just makes a class more confusing and less like I actually want to think about it. Seriously. How much does it actually matter when everyone has different opinions about what to stack and (according to some posters on this thread) they all parse similarly?

Deleted
    just stack strength

Deleted
    Use simcraft everytime you get a new piece of gear. Only way to be sure what your stat weights are.

I personally call this bull****. Everytime I sim, it says i should go mastery>crit>haste and if I use an item that its suggested i drop from 20% haste. Right now I sit at 23%crit, 20% haste, 6.70vers and i think 29% mastery. And yet, If I sim, It tells me to equip my mastery-crit items over the haste>crit ones. Also, im 890 ilvl but keep staying at 884 for these stats.

why do ppl still think that the weights on icy veins etc. is law?
    Go to Simulationcraft and learn how to calc your own stats instead.
    My weight go from Crit beeing the best to worst over the course of 1-2 itemchanges.
    Its all upp to your specific gear right now, not some set value.

Want to learn how?
    Spec for singletarget dmg (RA and Oblit), Import your character from Battlenet (after a relog) (this way you get both the char and the rotation created in simulationcraft).
    Go to option and enable "Scaling" also make sure you check all the important checkboxes, Str - Ver - Mast - Haste - Crit. Then simulate and your personal statweights will be shown in one of the first boxes of the simulation (together with a pawnstring).

Enter them into pawn! Bam!
    Do this calc after each new gear-piece
    Last edited by exeetor; 2016-12-02 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by exeetor View Post
    why do ppl still think that the weights on icy veins etc. is law?
    Go to Simulationcraft and learn how to calc your own stats instead.
    My weight go from Crit beeing the best to worst over the course of 1-2 itemchanges.
    Its all upp to your specific gear right now, not some set value.

Want to learn how?
    Spec for singletarget dmg (RA and Oblit), Import your character from Battlenet (after a relog) (this way you get both the char and the rotation created in simulationcraft).
    Go to option and enable "Scaling" also make sure you check all the important checkboxes, Str - Ver - Mast - Haste - Crit. Then simulate and your personal statweights will be shown in one of the first boxes of the simulation (together with a pawnstring).

Enter them into pawn! Bam!
    Do this calc after each new gear-piece
    This is really useful, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dizmog View Post
    I personally sit around 25 crit, 20 haste, and as much mastery as I can get. So far (when simming) mastery has always been my highest priority stat. However, I took a look at the top parses for EN a couple minutes ago and man... they all seem to crank their haste way up.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...itholoz/simple
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ndantes/simple
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...z/Joker/simple

Couple of the top ten have theirs above 30%

My rotation feels really smooth at 20% but maybe I'm missing something. My highest parse so far was right above 70%.
    You know the armory doesn't display your correct haste, it displays a much higher amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishcraft0 View Post
    I personally call this bull****. Everytime I sim, it says i should go mastery>crit>haste and if I use an item that its suggested i drop from 20% haste. Right now I sit at 23%crit, 20% haste, 6.70vers and i think 29% mastery. And yet, If I sim, It tells me to equip my mastery-crit items over the haste>crit ones. Also, im 890 ilvl but keep staying at 884 for these stats.
    Sim using single target talents

I've been really interested on finding the perfect set up for my frost dk, been simming and hitting the target dummy a lot. I've tried the standard 25 crit 20 haste 35 mast and 6-8 vers and it's decent, but isn't even close to my 27 crit 22 haste 38 mast and 4.50 vers set up. It beats the standard set up by a pretty large margin. I've tried doin a full crit and a full vers prioty builds which didn't sim well at all. It seems like At least 25 crit is standard but you need 22-24% haste. After that focus on mastery and try to get at least 5% vers.
    Everyone has different gear set ups so it's really hard to pin like the perfect set up. I'd say just sim/experiment and find it out for yourself. Also keep in mind that sims aren't the law, i have a set up that sims higher than my current set up but doesn't perform as well as I'd like in game, this is after constant dummy pulls as well as raids and m+ dungs.
    Last edited by 0verdose; 2016-12-04 at 01:17 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    if you are sticking with RA OB build, then the same 25-30 crit and 20 minimum haste applies.

however

with gathering storm and BoS getting buffed (again) stats priority might chage if you try those builds. haste might be more of a priority under mastery then??? runes recharge faster>more OBs during GS "burn"> runic flooded> BoS to burn Runic
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Quote Originally Posted by 0verdose View Post
    I've been really interested on finding the perfect set up for my frost dk, been simming and hitting the target dummy a lot. I've tried the standard 25 crit 20 haste 35 mast and 6-8 vers and it's decent, but isn't even close to my 27 crit 22 haste 38 mast and 4.50 vers set up. It beats the standard set up by a pretty large margin. I've tried doin a full crit and a full vers prioty builds which didn't sim well at all. It seems like At least 25 crit is standard but you need 22-24% haste. After that focus on mastery and try to get at least 5% vers.
    Everyone has different gear set ups so it's really hard to pin like the perfect set up. I'd say just sim/experiment and find it out for yourself. Also keep in mind that sims aren't the law, i have a set up that sims higher than my current set up but doesn't perform as well as I'd like in game, this is after constant dummy pulls as well as raids and m+ dungs.
    Are those sets you've tried the same item levels. Because if one has more strength than the other it is going to win out.