Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waitwutt View Post
    grizzly is more than twice the weight. in some cases the males can weight 1500-1700 pounds. silverbacks weight 300-500. and gorillas don't have giant knives on their hands
    Yeah, on second thought a grizzly has both a weight and speed advantage on a gorilla. A Gorilla might be more agile in close quarters but even even then the size and sheer strength of the bear will overcome

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Yeah, on second thought a grizzly has both a weight and speed advantage on a gorilla. A Gorilla might be more agile in close quarters but even even then the size and sheer strength of the bear will overcome
    gorillas aren't really even fighters anyway. they're very peaceful.

yeah, they sometimes get in scruffs with other silverbacks, but it usually just ends with chest beating and threats, or pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    It's about maintaining a balance.
    Aussie crocs were nearly hunted to extinction and there has been a big effort to get their numbers back up quite recently lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Ya, that ranger/you/your brother (choose an option) is full of shit. The preferred method isn't "wrestling it to the ground." You don't even need bear mace as it doesn't always shoot that far. Wasp spray works, and usually shoots further.
    Yeah, grizzlys are also decent climbers, good luck with those trees. They can also run at something like 50kph so if you are running for a tree you will probably not get far if he has seen you.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2016-10-29 at 09:15 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I don't think it's neccessarily heat that would be the downfall of bears, since there are bears within Mexico/Central America (Black bears; extinct Mexican Grizzly Bear), South America (Spectacled bear) and the Middle East (Syrian brown bear). It's a matter of other environmental factors as bears could not survive in Central/Western Australia, they would have to radically evolve to deal with smaller prey and having to walk large distances in sandy deserts.

One species that could feasibly be introduced to Australia is the Komodo dragon as a form of free population control on introduced species such as camels, horses, water buffalo, pigs, cattle and banteng. Relatives of the Komodo also persisted on Australia until relatively recently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    Black Bears aren't Grizzlies though, and we were discussing the viability of Grizzlies in Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    But why?

Grizzlies used to range in the south west deserts of the US.

I had already discussed Grizzlys they once lived in the South West deserts of the US they could do fine in Australia. The whole place is not Mad Max land.

Australia has enough problems with rabbits, cats, foxes, and dingos. They don't need more foreign animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    I had already discussed Grizzlys they once lived in the South West deserts of the US they could do fine in Australia. The whole place is not Mad Max land.

For the most part, the ones that lived in "the desert" weren't really living in the desert. They'd live on sky islands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the Bears could help control Koala overpopulation and Croc aggression.

For the most part, the ones that lived in "the desert" weren't really living in the desert. They'd live on sky islands.
    Sounds terrifying. Bears with jetpacks? Count me out.

Ya, that ranger/you/your brother (choose an option) is full of shit. The preferred method isn't "wrestling it to the ground." You don't even need bear mace as it doesn't always shoot that far. Wasp spray works, and usually shoots further.
    How dangerous are black bears?
    Not so much.

Grizzlies are another story...

10+ Year Old Account
    Cutler is having enouph trouble on this side of the globe, to even guess what he will do down under.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    How dangerous are black bears?
    Not so much.

Grizzlies are another story...
    Notice your link doesn't say wrestle it to the ground like you suggested, but to carry bear spray (and again, wasp spray works and usually shoots further). So ya, the ranger/your brother/you (pick one) is full of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    That's why first you genetically engineer them into this:

No more overheating problems.
    Dem sick side burns.

Everything in Australia wants to kill you, right?
    Something of an undeserved reputation. Let me put it this way:

Europeans introduced RABBITS, and they murdered everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When my brother was in the CO Rockies, a ranger told him that if he ever gets charged by a black bear, the recommended method to deal with it is to charge back and muscle it to the ground.
    Wow.

Did your brother sleep with that ranger's wife by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Europeans introduced RABBITS, and they murdered everything.
    Rabbits just ate the plants, it was the cats/foxes that were introduced to hunt the rabbits that murdered everything.

I think the Bears could help control Koala overpopulation and Croc aggression.
    Koalas are down from millions a century ago to about 80k. There's also about 100-200k saltwater crocodiles. Can't find numbers on freshwater crocs, but apparently their numbers are down a lot thanks to the cane toad invasion (another introduced species that ravaged Australia's native fauna).

There's about 28 million kangaroos though. Note: Australia's human population is about 23 million.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Rabbits just ate the plants, it was the cats/foxes that were introduced to hunt the rabbits that murdered everything.
    And when they didn't work we resorted to biological warfare with the myxoma and calici viruses.

That's what it took, because rabbits were so unbelievably successful in the Australian wild. So much better adapted than any native species, which they muscled out.

Apparently there were 600 million of them before the myxoma virus, which got them down to 100 million. But the remainders developed an immunity and the population rapidly went back up to 200-300 million, until calici...

Australia's history of introduced species is pretty horrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Notice your link doesn't say wrestle it to the ground like you suggested, but to carry bear spray (and again, wasp spray works and usually shoots further). So ya, the ranger/your brother/you (pick one) is full of shit.
    Never been around a black bear have you? LOL...

They're kinda nice really. (No violence)

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm

Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.

What if I corner a black bear?

Woman Fends Off Bear Attack in Her Own Garage
    DULUTH, Minn. — Kim Heil-Smith walked into her garage outside Grand Marais, Minn., one night last week expecting to pull something out of her car. Instead, she ended up wrestling a large black bear.
    Dave Ingebrigtsen, assistant Department of Natural Resources wildlife manager in Grand Marais, said this attack sounds "more like a cornered animal than a problem bear." There have been very few nuisance calls in the area and no reports of troublemaking bears. "It doesn't sound to me like an animal we'd have to track down," he said. Dave Garshelis, a DNR bear expert, agrees.

"Generally with black bears, there's no indication that females with cubs are more dangerous than a single bear. That comes from grizzly bears," Garshelis said. "Black bears generally aren't aggressive. But when any animal feels cornered, they'll sometimes act. Not very often, but it can happen."

Garshelis said black bears will almost always avoid confrontations with people. Minnesota has more than 20,000 black bears.

---------------------

Believe whatever the fuck you want. I suppose a little girl would want to believe differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything in Australia wants to kill you, right?

Crocdiles are the king of Aussies rights now.

But what if we introduced Grizzly Bears to the outback? Would Bears be able to dethrone them? Would Bears be able to tame the Aussie Outback?
    are you seriously asking this? think about it for just 5 minutes.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean its not the crocs we've got to worry about. We suppressed the camel insurrection and fought in the emu war (and lost.)[seriously look it up]. Them emu's on the rise again

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    are you seriously asking this? think about it for just 5 minutes.
    It'd be badass. Crocs would finally meet their match. Hydration is very important for bears, so they won't take too kindly to their outback bullshit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They'd devolve into koalas.
    Koalas aren't related to bears. Bears aren't marsupials