Thread: Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it worth it?

For those of you playing SWTOR as of now. I've played this game on and off since 2013 and I've played all class stories. The last time I stopped was in the KoTFE. Now tell me this; is it even worth throwing money at this game in it's current state? Be honest please cause if it's not I'd rather save the money.

For one month of sub you get everything it offers, depending on how much of KotFE you haven't played yet, $15 might be worth it. It's more of the same game play (which I personally enjoy) and a relatively decent story that takes roughly ~12 hours to go through. Most AAA games single player campaigns last less than that and sell for $60, so to me $15 for ~12 hours of gaming is a pretty good deal.

It's $15, not like it's THAT much to spend on something you know you're going to get at least some fun out of.

I did everything up till the chapter of acquiring the Base of the Alliance after that I stopped due to financial issues, college, and the long wait time for the next chapters to come out.

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon now, I'm sure some of you have an opinion about this? Surely you've thought about this, or asked yourself the same question.

If you are going to throw money at the game, wait until Dec 2 so that you can get access to the new KotET expac(yeah right).

After Dec if you DO NOT sub you will have no access to endgame after 70. Well you have access to the content but you are not able to gear since all gar goes through Galactic Command which is SUB ONLY. There is speculation at GC passes but no set confirmation.

Since you know all of KotFE there is nothing new added now. But KotET will add Uprisings as a new FP alternative. EVERYTHING is gated after 70 except story so if you are going Pref keep that in mind after your Sub lapses.

I would say spend the 15 after Dec2 to see the content and if you like it stay subbed. If not move on to something else. I myself as much as I REALLY want to uninstall after their new BULLSHIT move will spend one final 15 to see the story and then I am done until the next expac.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    If you are going to throw money at the game, wait until Dec 2 so that you can get access to the new KotET expac(yeah right).

After Dec if you DO NOT sub you will have no access to endgame after 70. Well you have access to the content but you are not able to gear since all gar goes through Galactic Command which is SUB ONLY. There is speculation at GC passes but no set confirmation.

Since you know all of KotFE there is nothing new added now. But KotET will add Uprisings as a new FP alternative. EVERYTHING is gated after 70 except story so if you are going Pref keep that in mind after your Sub lapses.

I would say spend the 15 after Dec2 to see the content and if you like it stay subbed. If not move on to something else. I myself as much as I REALLY want to uninstall after their new BULLSHIT move will spend one final 15 to see the story and then I am done until the next expac.
    So you're saying SWTOR is going down the same route as WoW in terms of RNG being the new end all, be all in terms of content?....

Please tell me that is not the case....

Quote Originally Posted by LordOtaku666 View Post
    So you're saying SWTOR is going down the same route as WoW in terms of RNG being the new end all, be all in terms of content?....

Please tell me that is not the case....
    Seems like it is, sadly. And the game is basically more strictly requiring a sub as that's the only way to improve your gear at max level. Unless BioWare does some major backpedaling, the game is going to lose a ton of preferred players like myself with this expansion. May stick around to finish tinkering with the last few 1-50 stories but there's absolutely no point in getting KotET unless you plan to stay subscribed.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    for $15 you get a solid amount of things to do for a month.

But then again $15 for a month of Entertainment has always been appealing to me. I've been subbed to Swtor for the last 3 years though.

If you have an interest in the game the money shouldn't be the determining factor. I mean, it's $15. You will surely get several hours of entertainment out of it at the very least. It's worth checking out for a month or so. Beyond that, and with the KOTET changes coming, you will have to decide for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel SnackyCakes View Post
    for $15 you get a solid amount of things to do for a month.

But then again $15 for a month of Entertainment has always been appealing to me. I've been subbed to Swtor for the last 3 years though.
    I've been a stickler when money is concerned, especially so since starting college. Even if it's $15 that adds up, and while I like Star Wars I don't like it enough to trudge through another RNG fest that I had to put up with like in WoW. Others may enjoy it, and more power to them for that, but I'm starting to think the opposite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Misaligned View Post
    If you have an interest in the game the money shouldn't be the determining factor. I mean, it's $15. You will surely get several hours of entertainment out of it at the very least. It's worth checking out for a month or so. Beyond that, and with the KOTET changes coming, you will have to decide for yourself.
    I was raised around Star Wars, and in the past money wouldn't be as much of a bother for me however things have changed. College isn't cheap financial loans are a must if you don't have a full carry through a degree, and those loans add up. Besides that finding out what I have about SWTOR with it's latest expansion is just bleaching whatever interest I had anyway with it's path of RNG taking up everything related to content. It's becoming what WoW is now, and I don't want any part of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Seems like it is, sadly. And the game is basically more strictly requiring a sub as that's the only way to improve your gear at max level. Unless BioWare does some major backpedaling, the game is going to lose a ton of preferred players like myself with this expansion. May stick around to finish tinkering with the last few 1-50 stories but there's absolutely no point in getting KotET unless you plan to stay subscribed.
    I'm not surprised that they would do that to non-subscribers. Bioware is the developing company, but it is EA that publishes the game. As we should all know EA is always in it for the money, and if their missing out on whatever % cut then they'll do whatever it takes to punish/or cut them off. Seeing as it is like this, not even the story will be enough to bring me back imo.

If you don't like random end game gearing from loot crates then SWTOR is not for you.

Even with bw allowing it to be adjusted by discipline and not the entire advanced class, it's still random in what you get. How many times can you grind all that content and get the same belt or bracers? You know gear is going to be weighted. You're going to get a lot of bracers before you get a MH or OH.

One of the worst parts for me is as you luckily get some gear you need and move up in Galactic command ranks, it will get harder and harder to rank up for another pull at the gear slot machine as well as it gets harder and harder to get the reminder of the pieces you need given you will continue to get pieces you cannot use. My 15 belt and bracers in a row will likely piss me off especially after the loot system SWTOR has had for years and nothing was wrong with it. It was a solid looting system.

RNG gearing was never created to benefit the gamer at all. Thats a business move entirely that was designed to screw over the gamer more than it helps.

I think it's great you can do any content and get access to end game gear as I know gear without skill means little.
    BUT If you don't like RNG gearing at end game. I wouldn't waste money on SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    If you don't like random end game gearing from loot crates then SWTOR is not for you.

Even with bw allowing it to be adjusted by discipline and not the entire advanced class, it's still random in what you get. How many times can you grind all that content and get the same belt or bracers? You know gear is going to be weighted. You're going to get a lot of bracers before you get a MH or OH.

One of the worst parts for me is as you luckily get some gear you need and move up in Galactic command ranks, it will get harder and harder to rank up for another pull at the gear slot machine as well as it gets harder and harder to get the reminder of the pieces you need given you will continue to get pieces you cannot use. My 15 belt and bracers in a row will likely piss me off especially after the loot system SWTOR has had for years and nothing was wrong with it. It was a solid looting system.

RNG gearing was never created to benefit the gamer at all. Thats a business move entirely that was designed to screw over the gamer more than it helps.

I think it's great you can do any content and get access to end game gear as I know gear without skill means little.
    BUT If you don't like RNG gearing at end game. I wouldn't waste money on SWTOR.
    It's not a good formula for a game to be sure. As a Business practice, it's pretty common to squeeze out whatever amount of profit they can, but it's not gonna win them any points in both ingenuity or popularity. I've never been a fan of RNG which is why I've completely bleached myself from anything WoW related, and I hate to do it with SWTOR, but it seems like I'll have to do the same as well. The story can be phenomenal, but if the content is gated with RNG then I'll just save the money.

I quit WoW for SWTOR before its release. I played it for 4 years, subscriber, guild, everything. While it had its good sides, it was substantially lacking and the whole time we kept hoping it will improve and that more things will be added. It never happened. Our entire guild quit an year ago. We were 100 active accounts at peak. If it wasn't Star Wars we would have done it very long ago. It was a huge mistake we held on for so long like masochists. This game is an experiment by EA to test how far you can go milking the Star Wars fans before they break.

Here I was going to put a huge list of reasons why it's not worth paying for it, but instead I'll only say that they ask the same amount of money Blizzard asks for WoW, while expecting you to play 2-5 years old content that is repeatedly rescaled without changes. If you are a new player and a Star Wars fan, it will be fun for a while. There hasn't been new content for the past 2 years, the only thing that gets regular updates is the cash shop. The "BioWare style story" that they promote is 20-30 minute long single player chapters per month at the price of 15$ and if you want any vanity or "cool" item be prepared to pay real money, because nothing is earned through effort or challenge, it's all on the cash shop.

WoW is a tremendously better game. SWTOR is a Star Wars Barbie-dress up with little to no development. There are many reasons not to pay for it, but the main one is to not make their money-milking strategy profitable. This type of strategy is typical for EA and it has a horrible effect on the gaming industry. Blizzard is one of the few, if not the only major company that still inserts heart and soul in their products.

If you do wish to see the KOTFE story, just play it on youtube. You don't miss anything not playing it yourself, because outside the cutscenes there is nothing added.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I quit WoW for SWTOR before its release. I played it for 4 years, subscriber, guild, everything. While it had its good sides, it was substantially lacking and the whole time we kept hoping it will improve and that more things will be added. It never happened. Our entire guild quit an year ago. We were 100 active accounts at peak. If it wasn't Star Wars we would have done it very long ago. It was a huge mistake we held on for so long like masochists. This game is an experiment by EA to test how far you can go milking the Star Wars fans before they break.

Here I was going to put a huge list of reasons why it's not worth paying for it, but instead I'll only say that they ask the same amount of money Blizzard asks for WoW, while expecting you to play 2-5 years old content that is repeatedly rescaled without changes. If you are a new player and a Star Wars fan, it will be fun for a while. There hasn't been new content for the past 2 years, the only thing that gets regular updates is the cash shop. The "BioWare style story" that they promote is 20-30 minute long single player chapters per month at the price of 15$ and if you want any vanity or "cool" item be prepared to pay real money, because nothing is earned through effort or challenge, it's all on the cash shop.

WoW is a tremendously better game. SWTOR is a Star Wars Barbie-dress up with little to no development. There are many reasons not to pay for it, but the main one is to not make their money-milking strategy profitable. This type of strategy is typical for EA and it has a horrible effect on the gaming industry. Blizzard is one of the few, if not the only major company that still inserts heart and soul in their products.

If you do wish to see the KOTFE story, just play it on youtube. You don't miss anything not playing it yourself, because outside the cutscenes there is nothing added.
    While I can agree on the points you've made regarding SWTOR I feel I must disagree with you concerning WoW and how Blizz currently treats it. It get's regular updates in concerns of end game content....but only for PVE. Legion brought only a new Honor system and prestige similar to CoD, and a Dalaran Sewer PvP riot that happens every so often. I can get past all that cause I stopped caring for most aspects of the game after Cata (Started in BC so I'm a bit jaded) however, Blizzard's dev team for WoW is falling into this endless rut of RNG being what determines what, when, how, why and where a player should be. Everything is a gamble, nothing is a guarantee beside monetary rewards from a raid. Then you have the community of the game itself, and while I know every game has a level of toxicity WoW's community is above and above in terms of it. I'm not the majority are; I've met some very nice people, but this puts a damper on players that want to play, but get rejected to do higher levels of content because of these players.

But that's all I'm gonna say regarding WoW, it's a mess to me, and not something relevant to this thread.

That being said, SWTOR's story has always been good, to a point, but I can't stomach reasons to play this while ignoring the blatant shameless grabs for money, something I'm more than anything needing to hold onto for bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, yes, but it has to be actual entertainment.
    The prospect of entertainment can come in many different forms for many people. So some may enjoy that while other's don't. It's all a matter of opinion, and a subjective point of argument to be had, but never forced. It may be worth the money to them, but for other's it's not.

Oh, I agree. It's just that I often hear the, "$15 for a month of entertainment!" thrown around as some kind of excuse for the shortcomings of a game.
    I understand.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, yes, but it has to be actual entertainment.
    Which Swtor is, the Current expansions has been one of the most entertaining parts of the game since Release and beats out MANY games in Story.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I agree. It's just that I often hear the, "$15 for a month of entertainment!" thrown around as some kind of excuse for the shortcomings of a game.
    I also wasn't using it as an excuse for shortcomings of a game. Simply pointing out how cheap it is in comparison to other Entertaining things. I saw Doctor Strange the other night in 3D, was great and it cost $24 for just over 2 hours of entertainment.

SWTOR in the last Month cost me $15 and provided me with at least 15hrs Good entertainment. Would likely had been more if I wasn't focusing more on Legion since I have a Massive backlog of Quests to do on SWTOR in the current Expansion.

People that have consistently played SWTOR have likely gotten to a point where they have run dry on content, but for someone coming in fresh the new Expac has a solid 15hrs just in the chapter 1-16 quests alone, and many hours more on Alliance missions, Star Fortress missions, Eternal Championship, HM's and Companion missions.

Even subscribing for even 1 month is well worth the $15

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LordOtaku666 View Post
    I understand.
    Hell even if you don't want to straight up Sub, try out the Free 7 day Sub Thread. I know I probably sound like a shill because it was my thread but just choose someones code and fuck around for a week with that.

[QUOTE=Hell even if you don't want to straight up Sub, try out the Free 7 day Sub Thread. I know I probably sound like a shill because it was my thread but just choose someones code and fuck around for a week with that.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably do that as it's the best way to see for myself without spending any money myself, but as I've seen and researched it's just more of the same at this point, and it's really not something I'm not seeing to be all enjoyable from my perspective.

7+ Year Old Account
    Legion destroys swtor in virtually every department. I actually like the randomness of things, it adds to the excitement and dynamic. But you dont have to rely on it since there are so many ways to improve and farm. But if it bothers you, I'd stay away from swtors main game: opening packs you buy with real money. The new improved pack animation reminds me of a pachinko machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post

Yeah, agreed. EA are the original gougers. Their mentality is to get the money, not to make the best content. Somewhere along the line the big money men in chinos and blue shirts took over the company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Great...so I see they're keeping up with the whole *Making it harder and harder to play without a sub, every expansion* approach...maybe it's time to uninstall the game...for good. I'm getting sick of all of this BS...Fucking EA and their endless greed...