Thread: Is it worth it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    Planetary heroics are bar none the worst way to grind CXP after the elites nerf. For reference I got 720 CXP for a Voidstar I lost in under 5 minutes (had 8+ medals though so full CXP). That was without any boosts and no bonus - it was uprisings that day. Story mode Uprisings were worth ~400 with the bonus and can be finished in 10-15 minutes with a dedicated group.

Weekly cap was level 100 which is about 350k CXP. People believe that someone reaching it in 3 days was the reason for the removal of CXP from golds (yes I know they give one, considering you need 2500+ even at level 20 effectively means they give nothing)

The weekly cap was reached by a couple guys. it's roughly 318K IIRC. They grinded out 31K or so mobs in 3 days and reached the cap. and hit just a little over GC rank 100.

That is not the average gamer by any stretch of the means but bw NERFED everyone because of those guys and then implemented a CXP boost to allow you to get CXP a bit faster. Problem is as someone else stated on reddit:

Assuming you make 4k cxp per hour (that's already a really high estimate for everyone, check it yourself by playing an hour) then you get 0.25 * 4k * 3h= 3000 bonus command experience.

Assuming you are around rank 30 that is ONE EXTRA CRATE. It will be more than that if your rank is low and even less if your rank is high.
    TLDR: If you are making 4k cxp/h and are around rank 30 you pay 200cc for ONE CRATE.

The CXP boosts are really not all that good for your money. You have to generate a lot of points per hour, each and every hour. Not even a good use of your money even if you are one to spend money on them.

So far other than PVP and running whatever the bonus is. Even when not a bonus, running black Talon/Esseles gets me around 1000+ CXP for 10 mins or so. Extremely easy. Hold all CXP tokens till you win DVL and open them all. Faster than heroics and no fighting for some heroic mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    So far other than PVP and running whatever the bonus is. Even when not a bonus, running black Talon/Esseles gets me around 1000+ CXP for 10 mins or so. Extremely easy. Hold all CXP tokens till you win DVL and open them all. Faster than heroics and no fighting for some heroic mobs.
    I have considered the idea of running Story FPs and farming the bosses there for tokens and CXP. It has been soo DAMNED LONG that I ran BT or Esseless that I totally forgot about them.

I may do this if I am in a bit of a bored streak from running Heroics lol. I just CANNOT stand PvP anymore so I will go other routes.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    SNIP.... I just CANNOT stand PvP anymore so I will go other routes.
    I cannot stand PVP in swtor either. Its just not that good.

However, if you want CXP you might need to do it. I tried it again last night and its pvp is still just terrible in swtor but in 3 matches I was able to complete the daily. Lost 1 and won one. As a healer I got over 600 per match and it wasn't the bonus last night. It was great CXP for a very short amount of time but it's damn pvp in swtor.

It's clear that bioware is trying to push gamers into pvp since there is nothing new to end game but uprisings and there so short and easily done there is no way that content will sustain the game. There is such a divide between PVP'er and PVE'er that I don't think too many are willing to just jump into the others area and love it.

It's almost as if bioware has no clue about the very gamers they are trying to make a game for.

Another expansion that relies heavily on story which we and bioware learned at launch could never carry this game without solid end game content. swtor just doesn't have solid end game content and what it does have it a mix of 2-5 year old content they expect you to just run again. Historically, gamers hate rehashed content and swtor gamers are no different.

I really don't know what this game is up to but its got some "F"ed up management thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodchild View Post
    So I'm having fun in the new system. It's not a grind for me because I don't grind it, I just do what I feel like doing on any particular day and if I get enough CXP to get a crate then I get a crate that day and maybe get something useful and maybe not. For me the xpac is an improvement on the game and I'm enjoying it.

I can see why the min-max'ers that obsess over having the best gear now now now wouldn't like the system, however. I can only imagine that Bioware doesn't feel there is enough of them to design the game around their desires and playstyles.
    Fair points. I've always enjoyed the game, simply playing it was enough for me.

The system design obviously seems catered more towards people just playing the game, but provides quicker rewards for those who grind. My main issue with the whole thing is that it still requires that you play content that's literally been in the game for years. I have 8 characters all at max level (done manually), 4 on each side, with my favorite classes even having a second character to ~ level 55 (one of these was boosted). I've done all of the Flashpoints, Operations and Heroics at least a few dozen times, with FPs and Heroics more likely in the hundreds. There's simply nothing left in the game that interests me except story, and I only need to sub for a single month to get that, so there's zero incentive for me to spend more than $14.99 once every "expansion" until they add new content besides story.

I will stand behind this game, as a great leveling experience with solid story, with a lot to offer for those who haven't played it much or at all. 8 class stories from 1-50 that are all decent (some are far better than others, IMO, but which ones you like...YMMV), 2 faction story from 50-55, single story from 55-60 and 60-65, and all of it is decent and enjoyable. But for those like me who have played for a while (since launch for me), there's just not enough there to keep me interested since I've done it all already.

It is f2p, play some of the current version and decide for yourself. Nobody here is going to know better then you what you do and don't like.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It is f2p, play some of the current version and decide for yourself. Nobody here is going to know better then you what you do and don't like.
    its f2p in a name only. more like free to try up to lvl 50 with severe restrictions. gives decent enough idea of the general gameplay, I suppose. but if you want to go beyond try - at the moment its barely playable as preferred with all possible unlocks and even then, can't acess much beyond story at lvl 70. no ops, limited flashpoints and pvp (I think its 5 warzones per week? and no ranked), no uprisings (which are essentially shorter flashpoints with no cutscenes). and that's not counting galactic command. current version of the game is subscribe or gtfo

This was the game I was most excited for and its really tragic how the "f2p" system works. The limitations are insane.

Also a side note: I have always felt the movement of your character was... I don't know... not polished? I felt as if my character had no weight to them and moved a little too jerky and extreme or something. I never found a way to turn down sensitivity, could just be me though.

Totally worth it. My gf and I just came back after getting burned out on Legion, thoroughly enjoying swtor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    Legion destroys swtor in virtually every department.
    Legion really sucks if you want to play more than one toon, especially as a pvper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaehl View Post
    This was the game I was most excited for and its really tragic how the "f2p" system works. The limitations are insane.

Also a side note: I have always felt the movement of your character was... I don't know... not polished? I felt as if my character had no weight to them and moved a little too jerky and extreme or something. I never found a way to turn down sensitivity, could just be me though.
    The game engine is fucking terrible. Most people have gotten used to it though.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Legion really sucks if you want to play more than one toon, especially as a pvper.
    swtor is the same way now.

bw once encouraged you to level alts but not anymore with galactic command. It is designed specifically for you to focus on one toon and one toon only. Any alt play does nothing but take time and CXP gains from your main and that is ultimately a problem with how GC is designed and with how you get gear.

Easily fixed if GC was legacy wide but it's clear bw has no plans to do that.
    Last edited by quras; 2017-01-04 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    for $15 you get a solid amount of things to do for a month.

But then again $15 for a month of Entertainment has always been appealing to me. I've been subbed to Swtor for the last 3 years though.
    100% concur - when you compare it to the shelf prices of console games these days, it's a no brainer
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Worth for $15 a month? Just to not get pissed off by the FTP restrictions, so yes!!! Not a bad game, fun to kill a few hours with by being an evil Sith Lord and chopping things to pieces with a lightsaber? Yes.

Still a great game even till this day. They just need to give free max lvl characters for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by dat1guy View Post
    Still a great game even till this day. They just need to give free max lvl characters for newbies
    they.. already do. well not completely max level, but the ones that can jump straight into new story. the problem is - those characters cannot do any of the old stories which are the best part of the game, and end game is... well i suppose for a new player there's stuff to do... but... its not spectacular. ironicaly, new players are FAR better off just starting from level one then rushing to end game grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    ironicaly, new players are FAR better off just starting from level one then rushing to end game grinds.
    Heh, yeah. The way that the linear story has been handled for the sake of immersion and shit has lead to all kinds of head scratchingly dumb shit like this. BioWare really never seem to think further than the next 1-2 updates when it comes to longterm development : /

7+ Year Old Account
    The 1-50 class stories are the best part of the game, its worth the $15 to play through those imo. After that 1 or 2 characters for the rest of them is just fine.

At this time, I would say it is worth it to subup for one month and then let it ride. They have the 250% XP going until April and that is more than enough for you to just have to go through the 3 main missions per planet per toon. Causally you can prolly get all 8 stories done in about 2 weeks 1 if you really push it. And then just run 1 toon per faction to see all the other story content.

You can see it all and experience it all within tha tone month

Ye, 250% experience is super nice right now. Totally taking advantage of it to clear out the last few class stories I have left. Finished Inquisitor last night (enjoyed the overall narrative, but the moment to moment story was super hit or miss), still have Knight, Bounty Hunter, and Smuggler left. Should hopefully be able to clear them out in the next week or so.

I was a bit behind on XP on my inquisitor, though she was already like...40ish when I started playing again. But between companion missions (which are always level appropriate, clearing them all out got me from like 48ish to just shy of 50) and the odd tactical flashpoint, it's stupid fast leveling right now.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Canada the subscription is more like $24. Almost jumped out of my socks when I saw that. May as well buy a 60-day game card for $10 more if I were to ever jump back in.

I think it's the only subscription I've seen which is taxed but I could be wrong.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I came back a couple weeks ago. Got a couple characters to 50, may do one more. The last expansion I plated was Hutt Cartel. A question I have is will the 250% experience boost screw up the flow of questing? For instance, my last last character, after doing a couple planet heroics and solely class quests, I was level 50 long before I finished the main class quests. I thought Hutt Cartel was bland, but I would like to experience the stories of the remaining expansions. Is there a pretty definitive quest line that will give you the story or do you you need to do all the side quests as well?

Edited to add: out of BH, JK, and possibly SW which would be the more interesting class to take to 70?
    Last edited by Piglord; 2017-02-14 at 03:36 PM.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.