10+ Year Old Account

I keep messing up your and you're but never have before

I think somethings wrong with me. Lately I've been confusing your and you're and I dont realize it until after I send my messages. I used to be a Nazi about it. Anyone experience this temporary lapse of switcharooery?

10+ Year Old Account
    When I am tired to type a lot of weird shit, like misspelled words or the wrong word. Usually I catch it before I post and fix it. Occasionally some make it through.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I think somethings wrong with me. Lately I've been confusing your and you're and I dont realize it until after I send my messages. I used to be a Nazi about it. Anyone experience this temporary lapse of switcharooery?
    I've never really cared to much if people are not using the exact grammar. Writing and language belong to the speakers and IMHO as long as you are communicative and effective, does it matter?

Your and You're are both ways of representing a sound and meaning, but realistically most anyone with a brain and competent ability to read can grasp what you mean from the context of the sentence.

"Your a good person" is technically grammatically wrong according to a book or two, but is it not communicatively effective? If you read it and understand it, it is fine in my book.

"What is You're name?" is a bit clunky, but that is mainly because we insist of having a different script representation of "You are," instead of just using Your or You are. I mean on the one hand we want to be lazy and use contractions, but we freak out over misuse of sound representation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Better get that checked. Might have brain tumor.

This might be a fun way to help you remember.

(oh and before any mod goes into nuclear trigger level I'm not calling the OP an idiot, this is simply a fun song)

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

It's probably a brain tumor. You should get that checked out when you've got the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I've never really cared to much if people are not using the exact grammar. Writing and language belong to the speakers and IMHO as long as you are communicative and effective, does it matter?

Your and You're are both ways of representing a sound and meaning, but realistically most anyone with a brain and competent ability to read can grasp what you mean from the context of the sentence.

"Your a good person" is technically grammatically wrong according to a book or two, but is it not communicatively effective? If you read it and understand it, it is fine in my book.

"What is You're name?" is a bit clunky, but that is mainly because we insist of having a different script representation of "You are," instead of just using Your or You are. I mean on the one hand we want to be lazy and use contractions, but we freak out over misuse of sound representation.
    Probably because not knowing grammar and spelling things incorrectly undermines one's post when they try to sound educated/informed on something.

Deleted
    You don't happen to have gone full retard?

Deleted
    I think you should of went to see a doctor about you're problem a long time ago!

No but seriously, I feel your pain. It's being on forums like these. It just rubs off on you. What helps is to have a routine of error correcting, so that you read what you wrote before posting, and preferably after posting as well.

I often don't catch my mistakes till after I hit he send button, there have been times I wrote some other word simply out of muscle memory rather than the one I intended.

How I remember it I say "you are" and if that makes sense in the sentence I shorten it to "you're" otherwise I use "your". I know you probably already know this but there might be one reader who doesn't.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Remember: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Remember: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
    hehe

@OP I had a simliar moment when I read thru some of my old posts (5+ years ago) on another forum a while ago ... I'm not really sure why it happened back then either :/

I get mixed up sometimes, too. I just repeat my sentence with 'you are' instead of 'your' or 'you're'. If it fits, then it sits. MY big issue is actually 'then' and 'than'... so much so that I can't remember which one is which. Even if I go and read up on it for the umpteenth time. So I just type 'then' all the time. It drives my husband up the wall, so I get a bit of enjoyment out of trolling him at least. Half the time I'll get it right, so there's that as well :P

As long as it gets the point across, I'm fine with it. Especially since on some devices it can be a pain just to figure out how to input an apostrophe.

And in internet discussions, I always figure that if somebody's best counterargument to a point I'm making is to attack my spelling and grammar, then I've won the argument.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Been seeing that a little myself. It will soon pass (hopefully). Mine has been with its and it's.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're writing ability clearly needs attention. If you don't clean it up soon, your going to leave a terrible impression on people.

You might have been gifted with the True Vision.