Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    This was one isolated case where the machine was malfunctioning.

Yes McDonalds is responsible, no it was not a wide spread problem.
    Not according to the trial proceedings. McDonalds had received 10 years worth of complaints of burns from their coffee according to the testimony of their own witness, who went on to say that the payouts from 700 previous cases was insignificant compared to the profits that the coffee generated. They flat out said "We don't care if people get hurt, we're making too much money to stop." This is reflected in the amount of punitive damages the jury awarded Liebeck; 2.7 million dollars was, then, the equivalent of two days worth of coffee sales.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    She was irresponsible for wanting to drink coffee while driving.
    She wasn't driving.

The scalding coffee lawsuit is pretty much the number one example of a lawsuit that people erroneously consider frivolous, mostly because it sounds stupid, but actually wasn't. For the reasons Slybak wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Not according to the trial proceedings. McDonalds had received 10 years worth of complaints of burns from their coffee according to the testimony of their own witness, who went on to say that the payouts from 700 previous cases was insignificant compared to the profits that the coffee generated. They flat out said "We don't care if people get hurt, we're making too much money to stop." This is reflected in the amount of punitive damages the jury awarded Liebeck; 2.7 million dollars was, then, the equivalent of two days worth of coffee sales.

- - - Updated - - -

She wasn't driving.
    I've been to the exact McD's where that happened, but this is the correct response. That's why they ruled what they did, and if you google the images of her injuries, they're quite severe.

As for the OP... well, does it actually cause cancer? Because if so, good for her, but if not... well, uh... yeah, let's prove that shit first.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I've been to the exact McD's where that happened, but this is the correct response. That's why they ruled what they did, and if you google the images of her injuries, they're quite severe.
    Seriously. If someone handed me a container of liquid and didn't tell me that it could turn my junk into a fused heap of flesh and fabric from my pants, I would immediately reevaluate my opposition to debtor's prisons. Stella Liebeck only asked for McDonald's to pay ten grand to cover her medical bills. The jury awared her 2.7 million because McDonald's representative testified, under oath, that they care more about money than their customers' safety.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2016-11-01 at 07:37 AM.