Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Anime] - RWBY is back!!! Praise be to Rooster Teeth!

Seriously. That is all that needs to be said.

New animation, new locations, always great combat mechanics... it will be interesting to see how Vol 4 plays out as it is the first volume to be done start to finish without Monty being there. I still have high hopes.

"When you build it, you love it!"

I was recommended to me by Netflix while browsing for something to watch. Saw the first volume last night, and I am IN! Definitely going to binge the series over the weekend.

Volume 4 is a nice change from the end of volume 3
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Just finished volume 3...

Qrow is my favorite male character on the show, behind Ozpin! Winter is turning out be an intriguing character. Screw the Chaos Syndicate, that scene with Yang being framed and Penny eviscerated made me genuinely hate the vilians' guts. I'm glad the teachers survived. Ozpin vs Cinder wasn't long enough (but awesome anyways). Pyrrha! Noooooo! Where were the other three maidens? Ruby went super saiyan! Qrow is a wizard!

It feels like the show jumped the gun on the journey; we hardly explored Vale or Beacon, but overall I'm really enjoying this series.

Also interesting to note that we have yet to have found out what Jaune's, Lie Ren's, and Qrow's (assuming it's not the magic that turns him into an actual crow) semblances are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give me more of my favorite murder ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    Give me more of my favorite murder ice cream.
    Hopefully she didn't get eaten! She's one of my favorites too.

*Sighs*

Seasons 4 and 5 have been... disappointing, to put it lightly.

The following novel has been tucked away in their own lists, because otherwise this would be one of the longest posts I ever made on MMO-C.

Oh boy...

Season 5 Chapter 7
    Spoiler: 

• Why only "maidens"?

• Are the "blessings" bestowed by Oz able to be passed along like the maiden powers? Or were they specific blessings only given to the twins?

• If Qrow's and Raven's transformation abilities were not their natural semblances, then what were their natural semblances? Have they even unlocked them yet, or were they overwritten by the blessing? The fact that Ruby had the Silver Eyes ability and yet retained her speed implies that your semblance won't be overwritten by additional powers.

• If Oz was able to bestow power on the twins, then why did he pick a crow and a raven when they come with the side effect of bad luck and death associated with them? Why not make them a sparrow or a hawk, which don't have the folklore stigma and therefore wouldn't have a negative side effect?

• Is Oz able to bestow power on his students? Considering they are the only ones in the world (besides his four lieutenants) who are committed to helping him stop Salem, seems like buffing them up would be a good idea... (ofcourse, the fact that Qrow received a "bad luck" side effect with his crow transformation power implies that there can be downsides to doing this).

• Was the Silver Eyes ability also created by Oz? Maybe at one point he lost track of who had the Silver Eyes ability, and when Ruby showed up, he brought her into the academy to keep track of it again and train her to fight Salem.

Season 5 Episode 8
    Spoiler: 
    Once again, I felt like the potential of the ideas explored in the episode were undermined by it's execution. Yang's story feels like it's skipping beats again. First her arm is chopped off and her school falls, and she gets over it in a handful of episodes, which is implied to be taking place over a few weeks. Her relationship with her dad stretches belief after the brain cell joke and how she brushed it off... then she starts complaining about how hard her childhood was when Blake leaves. Well, which is it? Is she unfettered like season 4 leads us to believe, or was she genuinely bothered and has had a heel-face turn on her prior reactions? The show has somehow managed to present us with two different interpretations of the main character within the span of a single year...

The episode did a poor job of presenting the Illia's and Blake's predicaments. Illia articulates a well thought out utilitarian view on why she will support Adam's Faunus, and Blake... doesn't really counter her argument besides just ignoring it saying "well, you're still wrong". If Blake really did care as much for Illia as she said she did, I thought she would have been thinking about what to say to sway Illia to the Beladona's side. Perhaps I expect too much from the show.

Looking forward to next week!

There was nothing to say about episodes 9 and 10.

Season 5 Episode 11
    Spoiler: 
    • I'm disappointed in the children; they're confronted by a team of top tier fighters far beyond their level, who have obviously spent time preparing the trap, are knowledgeable about the capabilities of their victims, and are almost certainly (sadly it wasn't depicted) going to coordinate in the ensuing fight. Qrow was the only one on equal footing with them, and even he was desperate to prevent a fight. At that point, they really should've just shut up and let Qrow try to negotiate for their lives, stall for time, or protect their escape. Instead, they lost control of their emotions, and committed to a fight they couldn't win without unforeseen assistance (reinforcements from Atlas or the Faunus) or a deus ex machina (Silver Eyes Power or Jaune's semblence).

• I'm actually hoping Weiss dies, if for no other reason than 1. to make sure the kids learn from their mistake and 2. give the fights of the show tension again. There needs to be stakes again, something that this show hasn't had since the finale of season 3. That said, there's no way she'll die anyways; if she was she would've died before the cliffhanger cut. Obviously she will be saved somehow... which leads me to be even more disappointed. She shouldn't even been impaled in the first place, though at this point it only serves to setup Jaune's semblence being activated or for the faunus to come and save the day at the last moment.

• I'm also disappointed that this wasn't a team fight; instead everybody was 1v1ing each other. The amount of time spent where characters stood around and talked to each other was particularly aggravating. Cinder taking her time to kill Jaune while he's down (and vice versa) goes beyond making them look like arrogant/indecisive and feels outright insincere. For example, when Qrow and Raven's talk while they look blades, or when everybody just stops fighting to look at the one person who was impaled. Also, it doesn't feel like the characters are in any danger during fight until the drama starts building up; Ruby gets hit with a fireball and walks it off like she isn't even winded, let alone injured or hamstrung.

• Irritating writing aside, the voice work was PERFECT! Thumbs up!

• Boomerang chakrams are such an underused weapon in fiction, glad to see them featured here. Would love to see what ways they can be choreographed in future fights.

• I wonder what Arthur is up to; if he isn't fighting there in person, then he's either assisting Adam outside then he's probably remote controlling a robot army/leading a horde of Grimm/commanding from an airship. If he isn't there at all, then what could possibly take precedent over completing the task he was assigned?

Season 5 Episode 12
    Spoiler: 
    My thoughts as the episode progressed

• Why is everybody just standing around? You have the opportunity to crush the opposition right then and there Team Bad guys; they're down two team members, their most experienced member is absent, and they're gawking at their fallen comrades with their guard down. Finish them!

• Ozcar should just sound the retreat already; they weren't going to win when they realized their situation, and with two team members down and Qrow absent, they DEFINITELY have no chance. Just high tail it and run!

• It speaks volumes that HAZEL of all people is getting violently angry. Oz must've done something in the past. Also, Oscar's done for.

• Oh, there's Qrow! Where were you bud? You disappeared after your blade-lock with Raven at the beginning of the fight (also a testament to how poorly the battle has been presented so far)

• Apparently stabbing yourself with Dust empowers you. Interesting! I imagine that one of our characters might end up doing that if they find themselves in a desperate situation without a weapon.

• "Do we fight?" Dude, you have no chance; ziltch, zero, nada. RUN!

• THANK YOU OZPIN! Why didn't you say so before?

• Raven: "Is that a problem"? Ofcourse lady! You of all people should know better.

• This whole "forcibly hijacking people's bodies thing" better have repercussions, as in Jaune won't be the only one to have a beef with Oz the manipulative.

• Ren: "I don't know what we can do" I don't know, take her to the hospital? Strip off some cloth and start tying her wound? You're a grown man Ren, stop acting like you don't know anything.

• sighs To nobodies surprise, this entire story was contrived just to reveal his healing semblence. As I said in last episode's thoughts, my problem isn't that they revealed it, but how they did so. So that post for elaboration.

• Cinder has only had her powers for a few months, has limited vision, and is outnumbered 1-to-2 by TWO of the most dangerous people in the world. This should be pretty simple.

• Why aren't Hazel's attacks cracking the floor?

• Cinder, you're an idiot! Raven's just going to open a portal in front of you as you walk towards the relic. You will either step through before realizing what happened, or they will shove you through... assuming they don't just KO you right here and now. I am wondering why they haven't done so already.

• OKAY, nevermind! Cinder's more perceptive than I thought. Having a new powers as the plot demands helps too. Also, Cinder has become a full-blown Lust expy.

• Darn, my respect for Vernal has gone up. Making herself vulnerable - risking her life - for the sake of her tribe. Also, my respect for Raven has gone up too. Then again, you probably shouldn't be announcing yourself as the Spring Maiden while your enemy is still confused as to what's going on.

Going to have to agree with TrueAfricanHero (on the reddit episode discussion) on this one; Hazel had intrigue as a pacifistic antagonist in a group of crazy people, but now he's just another villain with a revenge motive.

I wonder how Raven became the Spring Maiden, and absolutely nobody outside the clan knew. If she was conned into becoming one by Ozpin like he did with Pyrrha, then her disdain for him makes sense... except Ozpin would've known and had informed his lieutenants as to the identity of the Spring Maiden. Salem and co shouldn't have been scratching their heads as to who she was, since Leo would've told them. If the Spring Maiden was someone else, then that implies Raven became so close to her that she thought of Raven as she died (also implies that she died really young... unless Raven killed her to take the power for herself, since the Spring Maiden would've died staring at Raven, standing over her?)

The pacing of the battle is still ergregious, especially with all of the gawking and people letting their foes get away. All of this fighting is going on inside, and somehow the White Fang haven't barged in to help and just end their adversaries right then and there... unless it somehow turns out that they've been engaged with Blake and friends outside, despite there having been absolutely no indication of this happening over the past thirty minutes.

Again, I sincerely hope that Oscar is going to call out Ozpin on his body-jacking modus operandi. Then again, Jaune had every reason to call out Ozpin on his bull crap during the ten whole episodes spent couped in the house, and nothing happened. That being the case, I doubt the writers are interested in exploring the consequences the character's actions.

Finally, I have to reiterate that there are no consequences on this show. Vernal, the glorified extra of season 5 who had all of five minutes of screen time doesn't count.

• Qrow: gets stabbed and posioned, survives. No trace of him being weakened afterwards or a change in perspective.

Illia: Rebel leader who was caught leading a raid. Let off the hook like nothing ever happened.

Ruby: blasted with magical fire at point blank range. Walks it off a few seconds later, isn't even winded.

Ruby: unconsciously activates her Silver Eyes power, reawakens a couple minutes later (even though she was out for three days the last time).

Weiss: Impaled by a smoldering magical spear, healed within seconds. Given the above, I seriously doubt she will have any trauma over this, much less any lasting injuries.

That's kinda why I didn't flinch at Qrow sacrificing himself to save Oz and getting punched by a MAGICALLY EMPOWERED BRUTE in the gut (a punch so strong, that it sent Qrow through the roof!), since at this point we know that none of our characters will sustain a lasting injury, physical or mental, much less death. Not to mention, that Blake and friends are on their way anyways (if they're not already there), so there goes the tension.

Now that all of that has been voiced, I still have to say that this was the second best episode of the season so far, behind episode 11. Hopefully the season finale will be a treat.

My issues with the show
    Spoiler: 
    • Too many characters to properly explore for a seasonal 12 episode series, with many (if not most) going to waste and just sitting there doing nothing between appearances. Ie, Professor Oobleck, Port, Glynda Goodwitch, Ironwood, Winter, Mr. and Mrs. Schnee, Whitley, Tai Yang, Neo, Mercury, Emerald, Penny's creator, Velvet, Neptune, Sun, the other Hunter teams, etc.

On the same note, there are simply far too many ideas to properly explore given the time constraints of the show. We have two different sets of mcguffins, the four maidens and the four relics, plus the CCT (which was first brought up in season 2 and then promptly forgotten after season 3), the robot armies, the story behind Penny, the story behind Team STRQ, Jaune's family, the Great War (it's history and it's consequences for the modern RWBY world), Pyrrha's family was completely forgotten, the mystery of the broken moon, etc.

The worldbuilding is barely integrated, so much so that the team had to create an entire separate series outside of the show to explain the world, and we still know very little about the politics, culture, and geography of the world. We didn't even know that the Kingdoms were NOT just city-states like Vale until pointed out in the season 4 WoR. We know next to nothing about the culture and people of each kingdom. ESPECIALLY egregious with Vale, where the show was centered in for 3 entire seasons. If you asked me to describe Vale, all I could tell you was that it was some city with some vaguely New York architecture, a few parks, and a university on it's outskirts.

Since Monty's death, the show hasn't been as enjoyable to watch per episode. The first three seasons were wacky,, warm, and all in good fun, with character drama sprinkled in here and there but remained sincere. From season 4 onward, the "character drama" feels quite dry, with many uninspiring dialogue and cinematography, "character beats" feeling unearned and characters like Yang and Ren skipping through their character arcs. Certain characters like Jaune have been shoved aside despite being relevant to the current situation due to their plot threads.

Grimm, one of THE main selling points of the RWBY world, have been pretty underutilized and under explored. They are - in theory - the reason why mankind is isolated to a handful of cities and towns, and the prevalence of hunters to kill them, yet they are so easily disposed of. The season 2 finale has an entire horde of them swarming into the heart of a capital city, and there are absolutely no consequences. They're all gone after ten minutes, and no one died. Destroyed by a few high schoolers and robots, and destroying the tension of the Grimm in the process. From season 4 onward, their appearance only serves to exacerbate the already atrocious pacing problems.

Pacing: From season 4 onward, it feels like very little is being accomplish each season. Season 5 has been the worst, with the main cast being holed up in a house for NINE EPISODES STRAIGHT doing nothing all season. They could've asked their thousand year old leader for key answers, but they don't so that those answers can become plot reveals later. An entire fight that was built up to since season 4 was dragged out over the course of three episodes, when it really should've just been it's own episode.

From season 3 onward, the fight scenes (with the notable exception of Qrow vs Tyrian) don't live up to the rhythmically choreographed and impactful fights set by Monty.

I wouldn't stick around and criticize the show for five whole seasons unless I genuinely liked the show. I'm just... so frustrated. It's like when an abusive relationship; you know it could be better - you've SEEN it be better - and yet you stick around because you feel like it still could be... only for it to continue in a downward spiral. I can enjoy something and still not like it. Personally, I was thoroughly entertained, but when I think of how the episode was executed from a critical standpoint...

On the fandom's grievances with the show
    Spoiler: 
    Here's my take: For the first two seasons, RWBY was a fun little web animation with a handful of endearing characters and "cool" ideas thrown in. You didn't examine it for it's writing or plot points or character arcs. People made cool fanart and had their ships, and it was all in good fun. Then season 3 happened, which set expectations for the show, expectations that the show would never live up to without it's creator at the helm. It went from being fun to serious. Now you had people scrutinizing plot points like the maidens, the Ozluminati, Salem, "missed potential" and "character mishandling", etc. This led to - for what I saw - the first time RWBY ran was faced with significant criticism in the fanbase. Furthermore, Monty set a standard for writing and animation that CRWBY hasn't been able to live up to, so overall the show feels like it's declined since S3, which has only further exacerbated the situation.

At this point, RWBY 12-15 hours long. We wouldn't have dedicated that much time watching the show unless we legitimately liked the show. I think people are frustrated that the show was once great, and now is failing to live up to expectations, which is perfectly reasonable. We want the show to be better, which is why we offer criticisms. I think it's crucial to differentiate between trying to discern our misgivings with the show, and wallowing in selfpity that we will "never get a good RWBY show".

Personally, I support the show because it's the one and only serious western animated show out there in production. Once upon a time, America was the champion of animation, but now it's a pit of a disrespected (and rightly so) crude comedy shows. I abandoned western animation long ago, and then I found what I considered an actual quality show worth my time, and I don't want it to slip out of my grasp. I want to hold it up so we see more people embark on producing shows like these in the west, rather than having to just look abroad for it. It saddens me to hear people crapping on the show and saying "it's bad" and leaving it at that as opposed to actually stating their grievances with it.

Opener with the bloodborne like werewolves coming out was cool but everything after was tacky.

Ill stick to waiting for more castlevania and the new attack on titan season

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    snip
    Not sure how much you know on what went behind the scenes, but the shows original creative head and lead animator died sometime between seasons 2 and 3. That's why there is noticeable dip in animation quality. I think he had the story for season 3 penned out already, so not much changed there. But season 4 he had no involvement. He's the main reason the show was so awesome at first, but then kind of spiraled into mediocrity. I haven't watched season 5, but 4 was pretty meh.

His animation skills were top notch though. The fight in season one during the trials vs the bird and scorpion was really good, and Pyrrha vs those 4 asshole dudes was amazing. You rarely see anything that good in high budget anime even. I think Yang vs Neo on the train in season two was his best hands down though. Can only imagine how many hours it took him to choreograph that, then anime it, even if he had some help. I think he did most of the fight scenes himself though.
    Last edited by Amerrol; 2018-01-07 at 06:59 AM.

Meh, kind of excited for S2 of Castlevania though.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

The animation quality went way up this season, however the fighting scenes aren't as good. I appreciate character and plot development, but sometimes I just want to see some bad ass fights.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    The animation quality went way up this season, however the fighting scenes aren't as good. I appreciate character and plot development, but sometimes I just want to see some bad ass fights.
    they have a new animation engine(since Vol 4) thing that they are still trying to get use to.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Without Monty Oum, the fight scenes will never have the style and 3 dimensional design that they had again. Choreographing in 3D is not easy and it takes a lot of creativity and vision.

His usage of not just the characters, but their individual abilities and how they interact with the surrounding arena, on top of thinking about what the limits of their powers could be, is what gave his direction an edge.

Last edited by Shinzai; 2018-01-08 at 10:17 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is this not on netflix anymore? I can't find it at all.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No idea why people think rwby is an anime...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post

Does it really matter?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Does it really matter?
    No just seems strange to me because people are so quick to dismiss other things like avatar teen titans ect as not anime yet I see people call rwby one all the time, Just strange.

because it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    because it is.
    What do you define anime as that you think rwby is one?

What do you define anime as that you think rwby is one?
    because its own creator said it was an anime.
    RIP monty

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...er-teeths-rwby