15+ Year Old Account

Word Problem from a Local Pub

So a local nerd pub (The Stormcrow) offered three word puzzles and said if we got all 3 correct we would get 10% off our bill, and entered to win a list of prizes. We think ourselves pretty good at these puzzles - so we gave it a whirl. Apparently we got 2 of 3 correct, but this is the one we got wrong.

The pub claims the answer (The Oldest Building) is the Lighthouse.

We claim it's incomplete, the oldest and youngest could either be the Lighthouse or the Library. But, if you add the assumption that "Brick is Red" then the answer is that the Lighthouse is the Youngest (not the oldest), and the Library is the oldest by process of color elimination. So either the puzzle is incomplete, or their answer is wrong.

Oldest Middlest Youngest
    150 Years 100 Years 50 Years
    Colour? Brown Colour?
    Limestone Sandstone Brick
    Cathedral

Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Too much information on the Cathedral and I didn't find a way to determine which one was the oldest or the youngest; I think there's a link missing.
    Last edited by Dsonsion; 2016-11-03 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Too much information on the Cathedral and I didn't find a way to determine which one was the oldest or the youngest; I think there's a link missing.

Agreed. I came out with

Library Blue
    Lighthouse Red
    Cathedral Brown 100 Sandstone

???? ???? 50 Brick
    ???? ???? 150 Limestone

Unless it's a puzzle where you need to know "Limestone takes 30 years or longer to form so it wasnt around 30 years ago because it was still water dripping in a cave!"

But that just gives up

???? ???? 50 Limestone
    ???? ???? 150 ????

Alternative thinking, Limestone and Sandstone can both be made into bricks. The library is the younger because it's the only one of the two that can be reasonably expected to be made of wood. (With the amount of water washing up against the lighthouse, there's no way it's not made of brick).

Edit: Nvm it says the youngest is absolutely made of brick. That would make the library the answer...
    Last edited by Xenryusho; 2016-11-03 at 02:59 AM.

They're wrong. Limestone bricks are white.

The lighthouse is red. Limestone is used on the oldest building. Therefore the lighthouse is not the oldest building.

To be fair, limestone bricks aren't blue either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho View Post
    Edit: Nvm it says the youngest is absolutely made of brick. That would make the library the answer...
    How did you reach that conclusion? I couldn't relate the library to being made of bricks with the hints that were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    How did you reach that conclusion? I couldn't relate the library to being made of bricks with the hints that were there.
    Using the "Alternative thinking" bit I said:
    "Alternative thinking, Limestone and Sandstone can both be made into bricks. The library is the younger because it's the only one of the two that can be reasonably expected to be made of wood. (With the amount of water washing up against the lighthouse, there's no way it's not made of brick)."

It's not good logic but it seemed like the only way this problem could make a lick of sense (that is, had it not said the youngest is made of brick).