Thread: CPU question

CPU question

I'm upgrading my PC. Currently I have an AMD FX 8350. I would like to upgrade to an Intel 6600k with a new motherboard, ram and upgrade my video card from the Radeon r7 260 I currently have to something like a gtx 1060. My question is would it even be worth upgrading my CPU to a 6600k if I'm not planning to OC?

Yes, a 6600k is worlds ahead of an 8350 for many CPU limited games

Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    I'm upgrading my PC. Currently I have an AMD FX 8350. I would like to upgrade to an Intel 6600k with a new motherboard, ram and upgrade my video card from the Radeon r7 260 I currently have to something like a gtx 1060. My question is would it even be worth upgrading my CPU to a 6600k if I'm not planning to OC?
    If you dont OC a I5 6500 will do.

Yea not really needing to OC so I think I'll go with the i5 6500 as you suggest. I pretty much only play WOW and some fps shooters these days. So no streaming. Just want pretty lights when I raid at as close to 60 fps as I can get

Quote Originally Posted by amarrite View Post
    Yea not really needing to OC so I think I'll go with the i5 6500 as you suggest. I pretty much only play WOW and some fps shooters these days. So no streaming. Just want pretty lights when I raid at as close to 60 fps as I can get
    WoW gets great benefits from an OC. It's something like a 1% increase in performance for each .1 gHz OC. I would think a 6600K should be able to get to at least 4.5ghZ fairly easily, since the 6500 only turbos to 3.6, that's about a 9% increase in performance with a decently OCed 6600k.

Not saying you should do it it if you are not comfortable doing it, but it wouldn't hurt to get the 6600k now and then you can OC it to extend it's life later on down the road. The 6600k also has a stock turbo of 3.9 as opposed the the 6500's 3.6, so it's slightly better without even OCing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    WoW gets great benefits from an OC. It's something like a 1% increase in performance for each .1 gHz OC. I would think a 6600K should be able to get to at least 4.5ghZ fairly easily, since the 6500 only turbos to 3.6, that's about a 9% increase in performance with a decently OCed 6600k.

Not saying you should do it it if you are not comfortable doing it, but it wouldn't hurt to get the 6600k now and then you can OC it to extend it's life later on down the road. The 6600k also has a stock turbo of 3.9 as opposed the the 6500's 3.6, so it's slightly better without even OCing it.
    Not comfortable pressing a button on your mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Auto OC/EZ mode/OC genie/whatever feeds way too much vcore, stay away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I have an OC on my system and I am not comfortable with just pushing a button on the motherboard. That is the worst way to OC your system. It's far better to do it manually, test, increase, test, increase, test until you get unstable then dial back a little. Many people are not comfortable with this and that is ok. They understand they could have slightly better performance with it, but are ok with the performance they have, so why bother?