Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

And the 2016 Woman of the Year is...

...Bono.

The Irish popstar was nominated for the Glamour magazine award due to his campaigning for women's rights with his charity 'Poverty is Sexist'.

"The magazine's editor-in-chief Cindi Leive said they had talked for years about including a man but had always ruled it out. But she said "it started to seem that that might be an outdated way of looking at things".

"There are so many men who really are doing wonderful things for women these days. Some men get it and Bono is one of those guys," she said."

However his winning has not been without controversy, with comedy writer Travon Free tweeting "Does Glamour magazine know giving bono the Woman of the year award to trying to undo patriarchy undercuts the entire point of the award."

As well as user Stephanie Peat garnering 17 retweets and 13 likes (seriously BBC ) after she tweeted: "Bono has been named Glamour's woman of the year. To be fair with only 3.7 billion women it must be tough to find a worthy one."

Twitter user Adrianne Peltz was less amused, tweeting "Is this a Halloween prank? Bono getting Woman of the Year Award from Glamour magazine. 2016 is vile." And amassing 3 retweets and 14 whole likes, which is apparently enough to get her quoted in a BBC article.

The U2 singer shares the award with Gwen Stefani, actress and campaigner Zendaya, Olympic gymnast Simone Biles, Patrisse Cullors, Opal Tometi (known as Vauxhall Viva in Britain) and Alicia Garza, the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement; managing director of the International Monetary Fund Christine Lagarde; anti-Isis campaigner Nadia Murad; and plus-size model Ashley Graham.

Bono said some stuff when asked for his opinion on it.

Source

In the name of love! Mullet-era Bono

Non-gratuitous picture of fellow award winner Ashley Graham

Well he certainly is a bitch, no doubt about that.

As these gender things get more and more convoluted they just become that much more irrelevant.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    Rofl Classic.

Also Awarded to founders of BLM? This award is serious business....

But Bono has often blurred gender lines. Good for shim finally being recognized.

The tweets are basically saying "Equality is awesome. Unless it's equality for men"
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

If they can give it to a transgender, why not a man?

I really don't care. But, I am having a giggle at the people mad at this that would applaud a woman winning a "man's" award.

I actually think it's a good idea to give awards to men who promote women's rights, especially considering the work Bono has done abroad (in countries where women are still actually treated like property/killed due to gender).

But I also think it's interesting that we're not giving Man of the Year awards to women. I'm sure there are some female men's rights activists out there. Maybe next year?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    This sort of just points out how retarded it is to have a "woman" or "man" of the year in the first place. Why not just people of the year? Why not just not have anyone be a person of the year?
    I agree, seems silly.

I thought Bono was supposed to be a piece of crap? How can he win an award for humans?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the point of this award? Is it a humanitarian thing? Or is this just more partisan sexist garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I actually think it's a good idea to give awards to men who promote women's rights, especially considering the work Bono has done abroad (in countries where women are still actually treated like property/killed due to gender).

But I also think it's interesting that we're not giving Man of the Year awards to women. I'm sure there are some female men's rights activists out there. Maybe next year?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, seems silly.
    Typing in "man of the year" into google pops up a rap song, 4 articles about bono winning woman of the year and a movie with that title. Typing "man of the year award" brings up 15 articles about the nfls man of the year award and 1 "person of the year" article. Is there an award out there for man of the year ? Cursory glance was only the NFL one.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Typing in "man of the year" into google pops up a rap song, 4 articles about bono winning woman of the year and a movie with that title. Typing "man of the year award" brings up 15 articles about the nfls man of the year award and 1 "person of the year" article. Is there an award out there for man of the year ? Cursory glance was only the NFL one.
    Time did until 2010 when they switched it to "person of the year".

I’d rather not see awards like this at all, to be honest but if they’re going to exist then men should win men’s awards and women win women’s awards and that be it. Fucking stupid to degrade the notions of gender distinction with this relativist social agenda.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Time did until 2010 when they switched it to "person of the year".
    I wonder how much controversy it would create if glamour did the same. Not just give it to non women, but switch theirs to person of the year.

Deleted
    Twice in a row that someone with a dick has been woman of the year.

These types of things get far more people to give a shit about them than picking someone no one cares about. They are social media-ing well.

More power to them for taking advantage of the outrage culture of the internet!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Twice in a row that someone with a dick has been woman of the year.
    Bono is a twat though, so perhaps he qualifies as a woman that way.

He's a laaady, he does laaaady things.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a sad day for womens rights when a magazine dedicated to honoring women fighting for those rights can't find a woman to honor. Or perhaps they just didn't bother to check?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Why do we even have [Gender Pronoun] of the year awards in the first place?

Anyway, this is pretty lulzy. Gonna be fun reading all the butthurt from femnazis and their cucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Actually, back when Time called it "Man of the Year", some women did get the "Award". Just as a small example.
    yeah but there was an abundance of man'ish looking women then.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Actually, back when Time called it "Man of the Year", some women did get the "Award". Just as a small example.
    Really? Which ones?