7+ Year Old Account

New player tips and advice?

Hello, I just started playing HoTS a while ago and I still seem to not be getting it, is there any advice on what a new player should look to to improve?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick one character and learn to play them well. You can branch out to others later, but it's best to learn one early.
    Start by playing against the AI to familiarize yourself with the game.
    Learn how to pick your talents to match the composition of both teams. (For example, picking an auto attack defense against a mage team is useless.)
    Learn when you should soak exp, take camps, take objectives, and when to retreat.
    Pay attention to your minimap. It can save your life.
    Watch the other characters to learn how they work and coordinate with them appropriately.
    Ease yourself into QM after you've got a good handle on the game.
    Coordinate with your team.
    But most importantly of them all...

HAVE FUN!! No game is worth playing if you're not enjoying it.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2016-11-02 at 08:45 PM.

Range heroes are more easy to learn then melee heroes so try to pick a range hero to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay attention to the map objectives.

Deleted
    im also a fresh player into Hots. i do all them free heroes 2 level 5 and indeed some ranged one are easier but they dont need much 2 get hitted buy others.
    for now i do like thrall since he has a good ranged and a nice combo for teamfights. watch some video's on youtube how 2 place your heroes and stuff and watch a lot of streams

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Pay attention to the map objectives.
    Exactly this. Get to ranked as soon as possible, quick match will give you cancer.

People in QM tend to neglect objectives and go for kills, mindless pushing and bad timing mercenaries.

I should start doing ranked but i kinda want to stay away from metagames...

Guess i will die from cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Garmond View Post
    Exactly this. Get to ranked as soon as possible, quick match will give you cancer.
    Do not take this advice. You're only going to fuck your MMR up and be stuck with bad players in low brackets and be forced to grind your way up once you get better. Don't step foot in Ranked until you are familiar with all the roles, and can play a few heroes from each role competently.

Quick Match is cancer, so I would recommend going into Unranked, where you will at least get a tank and healer most games, and you can always fill to have a balanced game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Do not take this advice. You're only going to fuck your MMR up and be stuck with bad players in low brackets and be forced to grind your way up once you get better. Don't step foot in Ranked until you are familiar with all the roles, and can play a few heroes from each role competently.

Quick Match is cancer, so I would recommend going into Unranked, where you will at least get a tank and healer most games, and you can always fill to have a balanced game.
    roger
    im almost ready for that unranked and gonna start with that first

Deleted
    Stick with your team mates, don't go solo too much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all.

git gud nub.

But seriously, keep in mind objective times and how long it can take to reach them. Keep an eye on your map for enemy movements, both who is on the map and who is missing, depending on the hero missing it might be an ambush or them capturing mercenaries or a boss.

Once you start picking up the game, keep weary of positioning during fights. Don't just focus on pumping out all your spells and hoping for the best, pay attention to what the enemy and your allies are going to do. Certain spells are best used at certain moments. This is why getting a handle of your hero is important, you get a feel for when you need to use your abilities.

It can get a bit dated but Icy Veins has an excellent starter into the points of each hero for HoTs. Who counters them and who they counter, their strengths and weaknesses. Just keep in mind that talent advice is general, real use of talents comes with adapting to what your enemy is doing. You can see what your enemy is specing talent wise in the other tab of the score screen, though only do that once you have an idea of their heroes talents and abilities down the line.

The free hero weekly roll is a great opportunity to experiment with other heroes and roles, as well as to earn level 5 for gold.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-11-30 at 07:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that knowing general map strategies is a good place to get better at the game. Sure, learning the Heroes are important, but if you for instance do not know that on Cursed Hollow you usually take your team's Siege camp at the 2:00 mark, and that the tribute spawns around 2:30 when it spawns, you will need to brush up on your map mechanics. Being able to know when your team can go for the enemy core after a team wipe or when it is better to capture an objective/boss/whatever will determine if you are an okay player or a great one.

Also using your mini map is pretty much crucial since you can determine if a team fight will be in your favour based solely on what you know about the enemy being split between lanes or moving as a death ball. It is all about making the right decisions at the right time.