Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Food for thought: Kara vs EN

So after a week kara has been out...and after last night and the murloc opera....i am finding the mechanics behind the fights in kara 1000% more interesting then anything in EN.

Mechanic wise...EN has been a bit of a flop. Is this me?

Deleted
    I've actually ran Kara more on my alts than I have EN to be honest. The entire dungeon feels more like a raid than EN to me Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed playing through EN the first few times but it lost the magic far too quickly.

Karazhan overall is much better designed, I mean they were working with a shell of one of the best raids to date so I'm sure that helped!

Kara exemplifies the idea that less complex encounters can be equally punishing to a group of smaller players, if not moreso, than a raid scenario can.

Take Maiden as a perfectly good example. Mechanically it is quite basic compared to something like eye tree guy, but far more punishing if a mistake is made.

This expansion has made me fairly certain that I actually enjoy 5 man content more than raids, given all that's been presented so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    I enjoyed playing through EN the first few times but it lost the magic far too quickly. !
    i dont know if it had any magic for me in the first place...beside the first night "woot i am raiding again". Loving the xpac so far and playing way to much but the raid itself feels lacking.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Kara > EN imo

It should have been kept as a raid, would have improved the expansion quite a bit.

Kara follows the mentality of BC raids.

Simple mechanics but punishing if you mess up as opposed to the more current trend of excessive but not so punishing mechanics.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

I like the larger raids as I enjoy having more people in the group but I vastly prefer fewer mechanics that are more punishing than more mechanics that aren't.

Have they fixed the bug where your progress wasn't saving if you stopped half way though?

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    Have they fixed the bug where your progress wasn't saving if you stopped half way though?
    Not yet, just have the original group enter Kara ungrouped and then group up once inside.

I agree, Kara is way more fun then EN. I cleared EN once for the Suramar quest and just can't bring myself to go back in.

I enjoy both,

But I wish kara was tuned for 10 man

10+ Year Old Account
    Kara is just gimmicky and overtuned. I loathed it back in TBC, and when I saw the return to karazhan trailer, I cringed, sighed, and stopped playing WoW for a few days.

I did it twice so far, mainly for Nightbane and the last 4 bosses. I can say, for me, it's probably the worst dungeon (lining up with the raid being one of the worst raids ever) I've ever had to do, and I hate the fact that they put such good gear in there, essentially forcing me to run it weekly in hopes of an upgrade.

I really can't wait for next tier, when Kara becomes irrelevant due to not having a mythic+ setting.

Scrub Resto Druid Trying to Make a Difference

I personally enjoyed both, although Emerald Nightmare was a lot less interesting on heroic and lower.

Deleted
    I find En to be a uninteresting raid, onyl decent fights are eye and cenarius. Khara i love it, It felt more chalening even with 860 ilvl then anything of hc en did on first week when we where 840-845ish and a few around 850

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I enjoy both,

But I wish kara was tuned for 10 man
    I like Kara as a 5 man, but it would be awesome to tune it for 10 man as well. They could totally to it too! Perhaps increase the difficulty and increase the ilvl rewards?

Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    So after a week kara has been out...and after last night and the murloc opera....i am finding the mechanics behind the fights in kara 1000% more interesting then anything in EN.

Mechanic wise...EN has been a bit of a flop. Is this me?
    Emerald Nightmare is just so fucking boring. After clearing it once I was like "well that was something I really don't care about running again". Kara however I really enjoyed.

I mean I get it most opening tiers of expansions are pretty dull but man... EN is just meh.

I definitely think Kara has much more interesting woth having better more punishing mechanics, but I feel that the setup of 5 man vs. 20 man mythic raids is completely different in terms of design, maybe thats just me though..

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Kara follows the mentality of BC raids.

Simple mechanics but punishing if you mess up as opposed to the more current trend of excessive but not so punishing mechanics.
    Blanket statements made by rose-tinted glasses lol
    Finbez
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological
    if only WoW had come out when I was a teenager. Back then online gaming consisted of text-based MUDs....I could type "kill orc" faster than any of my competition, brosephs, and played a mean giantman cleric.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In no instance whatsoever did it take more than 9 pulls (nightbane) to do any boss in Kara, and most of the others besides the final boss were anything but 1 shots. Kara is cool, it's a fun side game to do for a few weeks. But it is in no way comparable mechanically to Emerald Nightmare Mythic.
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    In no instance whatsoever did it take more than 9 pulls (nightbane) to do any boss in Kara, and most of the others besides the final boss were anything but 1 shots. Kara is cool, it's a fun side game to do for a few weeks. But it is in no way comparable mechanically to Emerald Nightmare Mythic.
    Try doing Kara in fresh 70 gear with some heroic dungeon pieces, you'd have changed your tune quick. By all means it wasn't the hardest raid, but before over gearing it it wasn't a stomp fest. Especially as you stated Malchezar and Nightbane were very punishing bosses. Even a boss like Curator was very punishing if the group didn't know how to position the void zones.