RPS article on RimWorld (early access game)

This thread is about a article, where someone digged thru the code of the early access game RimWorld, a game i did buy some months ago and have about 300 hours in and enjoy very much, so i was interested in what they did say about it .... oh dear

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...code-analysis/

you can skip this part if you know the game or just want the *drama*

____________________________________________________________________________________
    Rimworld is in Earle access and made by 1 person Tynan Sylvester

In short Rimworld is a top down base building game set in the year 5500 you are dropped onto a planet by escape pods ... you gather materials build base get new members for your little *town* you manage your pawns mainly by setting work priorities *clean* *haul* *hunt* *build* and so on .. you setup blueprints of buildings, workstations and so on and the pawns build it, you get attacked by other settlements and deal with traders and so on.

there is several ways to start the game but the *normal* way is you crash with 3 survivors you can pick those beforehand and select a LONG list of personalities those can be good or *less good* and it will have a effect on the way they act. like *night owls* will get grumpy if they are awake in the daytime there are many many options for this and you can random it till you get what you can work with but anyone that joins you doing the game has those taints locked, it can really spice up your base if a *pyromaniac* joins ... if they get upset they start to .. you guessed it start fires

a part of the game is to monitor the pawns mood they get upset if they are doing stuff they don't like after some time or if they are effected by several things they might have a breakdown that can be several things ... from walking around to go berserk and trying to kill the other people.

they can also fall in love with other pawns and this is what RPS focus on

_____________________________________________________________________________________

RPS did dig thru the code and in summery found that Quote :

-Men are about eight times as likely as women to try and start a romance.

-Pawns with disabilities will always be found less attractive.

-Beautiful pawns are always considered vastly more attractive; ugly pawns, vastly less. Physical beauty is the only trait that governs attractiveness, aside from sexual orientation.

-Straight men always find men unattractive. Gay men always find women unattractive. There are no bisexual men.

-Women may find women attractive. Gay women always find men unattractive. There are only bisexual or gay women.

-All men consider partners aged 20 to their own age most attractive. If they’re under 20, they’ll find pawns 20 or over most attractive, with no regard for pawns that are a similar age to them.

-All women consider partners the same age and older most attractive. Partners slightly younger than themselves are very unattractive, and partners that are 10 years younger than them are always considered unattractive.

-All men consider any pawn 15 years older than themselves to be unattractive.
    There is no “old age” cutoff for women. No matter how much older a partner is, women have some chance of finding them attractive.

/end quote

now this *ruleset* has upset a few people and they have called out the maker of the game Tynan Sylvester to be the evil of the earth.

Now my question is how upset can you be by the social ruleset in a game .....a base building survival game in the year 5500 on a alien planet ...

If you are going to post this trash article that have no root in reality, atleast post Tynan's response aswell.

tldr; it's another hit piece by another sjw shithead based on bullshit.

As for a fun side note.

Eat shit RPS.

Deleted
    Who even cares? The game is fun. Let game developpers develop the games the way they want and let the market decide if the game is worth it or not.

Ty for posting the reply from Tynan and that was my point even tho i was not that clear i am afraid, i like the game a lot and was a bit sad that this is what RPS did choose to focus on ... a thing that to me atleast is not a issue.

well back to play Rimworld .... 3 out of 7 of my pawns got the flu, i face a pack of 8 manhunting rhinos, a coldsnap and are running out of food ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You gotta love those journalist. Btw what is their stance on capturing random people and commiting random medical experiments on them to level your doctor ? And removing their organs. And then executing them. And then butchering their corpses. And then feeding them to other prisoners. And yes, all i just listed is possible. And 10X better if your doctor is drug addict.

Thing is, from a programming perspective having some absolutes built into the system is good for testing. Throws a red flag if you see something happen you know is never supposed to be the case. Especially in continuing development where new systems may still be added, or bugs could happen. The final values can come later.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Ty for posting the reply from Tynan and that was my point even tho i was not that clear i am afraid, i like the game a lot and was a bit sad that this is what RPS did choose to focus on ... a thing that to me atleast is not a issue.
    That's not what RPS solely focused on, they've run about a dozen or so articles including a couple of (positive) first impressions, 3 parts of a diary (1, 2, 3)and a closer look at how the stories are generated. The gender-role article is just the one that caught the eye of the easily outraged.

Deleted
    Ridiculous.

My Dragon Age 2 character cannot enter into a relationship with the stray alley cat, I'm pretty sure that impossibility is baked into the code. Scandalous.

A video game does not have to be an accurate representation of reality, which inherently is highly ambiguous with unending interrelations and dependencies. If the highly simplified relationship aspect of a game (where even this code is quite advanced compared to what we usually see) offends you this much to go all in on a hate-piece like this, then for the love of god ​seek professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Ridiculous.

My Dragon Age 2 character cannot enter into a relationship with the stray alley cat, I'm pretty sure that impossibility is baked into the code. Scandalous.

A video game does not have to be an accurate representation of reality, which inherently is highly ambiguous with unending interrelations and dependencies. If the highly simplified relationship aspect of a game (where even this code is quite advanced compared to what we usually see) offends you this much to go all in on a hate-piece like this, then for the love of god ​seek professional help.
    Oh it's more than that. The author of this piece is outright lying. This piece was written with the express intention of making a huge gender issue out of literally nothing because the game is not only still in early access but several of the things they cry foul on are known to be bugs that were already fixed at the time of writing.

So not only are they bitching about a non issue in an early access build, but they are bitching about a non issue in an OLD early access build.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Oh it's more than that. The author of this piece is outright lying. This piece was written with the express intention of making a huge gender issue out of literally nothing because the game is not only still in early access but several of the things they cry foul on are known to be bugs that were already fixed at the time of writing.

So not only are they bitching about a non issue in an early access build, but they are bitching about a non issue in an OLD early access build.
    My point is that all of this is utterly irrelevant. Whether it's early access, a bug, beta, old code, has already been patched or whatever is besides the point that I'm trying to make.

Whatever your stance on gender issues, the developer of this game does not have to justify his choices. He's free to create a story, a universe, with certain rules and boundaries in place because it's simply impossible to correctly represent reality with its myriad of choices and characteristics.
    If anyone is triggered by this, then there's no more hope for them at all. Every game ever made puts a limit on every possibility reality offers: in most RPG's all female characters have the same slender build, male characters are often fit and muscular and relationships are mostly of the straight kind.

All of this is perfectly fine because assuming these design choices have been made out of malicious intent, or structural misogyny or misandry is quite simply intellectually insulting.

People, like the author of that RPS article, simply need professional help. It's clear they have deeply rooted psychological problems and are a danger to their peers. I pity them.
    No one has the right to police other people their creative products. You might disagree, might consider them repulsive, but keep your opinion to yourself. The core of this article is to promote the thought that games like these intentionally misrepresent women, or gender roles, which is simply ridiculous.

The fact that these people think they need to start a movement to correct all creative products that do not comply with their values or moral compass is disgusting.

While I do not promote misogyny or sexism, and you'll find me being a staunch advocate against them, I do not for one nanosecond believe any of the topics discussed related to Rimworld point to either of those terms and are simply design decisions made by the developer to create a manage-ably simplistic worldview that is realistic enough not to break immersion.

And I'm not even getting into the complete lack of journalistic integrity of both the author and the RPS editors.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-11-04 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Journalism nowadays bois, very good 9/10 on cod, pack it up.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Judging by this article alone, it's pretty clear the chief editor of RPS either 1. is too lazy to actually review the articles that are sent in for review before publishing, or 2. he's not actually interested in journalism. Either answer pretty much makes RPS an unreliable source IMO.

I hope the person who wrote that article lost the job. There is nothing of value to be found. Just some sjw bs.