Question "Downtime" for WW?

Is it just me or does it feel like that we have some downtime, i often feel like i'm waiting for a CD or some energy to regen.
    I'm only lvl 100, does this change in lvl 110? Or am i doing something wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulle9000 View Post
    Is it just me or does it feel like that we have some downtime, i often feel like i'm waiting for a CD or some energy to regen.
    I'm only lvl 100, does this change in lvl 110? Or am i doing something wrong?
    Same. After maybe 2 full rotations I find myself having to wait around 3 or so seconds for my energy to build up so I can TP so I can get Chi.

It feels like something that could be fixed with more haste, but apparently haste is bad.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    No I get it too. Abilities are all on cd and i'm relying on TP and BoK and nearly capping on chi. Feelsbad.

Lower the cd on FoF or something. Allow BoK to lower the cd on it or...something. Allow Combo Breaker procs to reset RSK or...something.

Need to iron out the bottlenecks.

I find this is where Energizing Elixir has helped. Pressing that when I hit a down time.

I'd love Combo Breaker proc BoK not to ruin our mastery/hit combo. Also remember our two piece T19 will lower RSK cd by 2 secs.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Downtime is a very important part of the spec. When you have to plan out your resources several seconds in advance, downtime lets you do that. You're all looking at downtime as a bad thing that needs to be fixed, but if the spec was GCD capped, it would be significantly harder to play well.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

I don't understand people's obsession with GCD-locked specs, if you want a spamfest there are plenty of classes for that. Also WW is probably the energy-based spec with the least downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Syld View Post
    I don't understand people's obsession with GCD-locked specs, if you want a spamfest there are plenty of classes for that. Also WW is probably the energy-based spec with the least downtime.
    There really isn't, at least not with a 1sec GCD. WW used to be one of the GCD locked specs at the end of MoP and through WoD, and now it's not. Personally, I can't stand waiting around to play the game, so much so that I even hate playing classes with the 1.5s GCD - which as of Legion, leaves Rogue and Monk (and Feral, but that has huge waiting times). Both energy specs which end up having downtime.

I think it stems from playing a Frost DK back in DS with the "Masterfrost" spec. 14mins of Deathwing with a GCD locked spec + off-GCD abilities meant 60+APM constantly. There was no downtime, and even though Frost was always simple, getting used to playing a spec which is such fast-paced, forcing you to react to proccs within the 1 sec GCD just made me not want to play anything so slow. So now for me it's more of a question as to why would I want to play a spec where I'm waiting around if I don't need the time to react? It's just boring.

OT: Monk spends about 12-15% of the time waiting on Patchwerk at 110. It's not too much, but certainly more than the ~3% waiting of WoD.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2016-11-05 at 03:27 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only experience this when using power strikes instead of Ascension. Its aggravating to have to use cjl to fill a hole in my rotation and keep my cancerous mastery ticking up. While i know that power strikes maths better, i prefer the more fluid playstyle from ascension, even if it is all but impossible not to energy cap during fof.

you can blackout kick more to reduce downtime, but it won't necessarily be more dps since you won't be using your important abilities exactly on CD this way. If you never ran out of energy, what would be the point of having energy at all? Not sure how this can possibly be perceived as a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the obsession of some people in trying to get GCD locked. Sure having 5 seconds downtime every 5 seconds isn't cool but we're nowhere near that (hello ret paladin). But not being GCD locked is a good thing since it means you're not losing damage if you take a split second longer to decide what move to use next, or when you can't be on a boss for a few seconds (you only lose autoattack damage which is negligable).
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

7+ Year Old Account
    I really really like that WW is not GCD-locked. If you're GCD-locked, resource management stops being important and with that every bonus that affects cost/resources/efficiency becomes unappealing. That would severely limis the variety of interesting trinkets, set bonuses and legendaries Blizzard can design for us (or with WW's in mind). Having limited resources and needing to manage them is a good thing. And absolutely don't see the benefit of abilities like the old Tiger Palm as BrM, which you just spammed unless there was something more important to use in that GCD. Didn't add anything interesting to the gameplay IMHO.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

Deleted
    This thread is quite funny, because sometimes i feel the opposite, that i would need a little more downtime to execute a SCK maximizing its damage by getting one or two more buffs to it.