Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I had a wolf hybrid in high school as well. She was probably the most affectionate, loyal dog we ever had. Very protective. She didn't have red wolf in her... but her mom was a full blooded timber wolf with a dad that was half timber, half german shepherd. The mom was found as a puppy, and raised in captivity. Didn't know much more about the dad's ancestry. When we moved to Texas... she'd howl along with the coyotes at night time. And even taught my parents' 3 german shepherds to do the same thing lol What a great dog...

Anyway... they're becoming a nuisance up here in the Pacific northwest. At least from articles I've read. Farmers don't like them very much... but there's still fines when you kill one. I know there was a female wolf that was killed recently... one of the few that actually ventured down to CA. There's a hefty bounty on finding her killer... they're in a weird limbo state of endangered and common.

People in states like mine were happy without wolves. Then some filthy hippies, from out of state, decided to introduce the large Canadian variety. Now the elk populations are plummeting.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think both in Europe and in the US wolves can have both "noble" and "evil" image, depending on the context they are talked about - but maybe in the US there is more focus on the "noble" part, since wolves never posed much of a threat to anyone here,
    I agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    while in Europe wolves have been an ultimate predator and seriously competed with hunters, and even attacked them every now and then.
    I don't agree here and here is why: In Europe we basically destroyed and continue to destroy every single virgin wood and territory with industry and our stupid hotels and resorts. The area where those beautiful animals live is getting smaller and smaller, and so is food for them less and less, for all of them, not only wolfs. I've seen little bear cubs coming into different villages in search for food.

Personally I will not shot any animal only for fun. I know wolfs only attack when they are starving. Same is the bear.

Deleted
    Haha.. well.. the summary is like that: we destroy the natural equilibrium, and now we try to restore it, but we don't have a clue how.

Quote Originally Posted by NightGamer View Post
    Haha.. well.. the summary is like that: we destroy the natural equilibrium, and now we try to restore it, but we don't have a clue how.
    Basically. There was a well managed artificial (in the sense that humans were the predator, not wolves) equilibrium for elk before someone got the bright idea to dump a bunch of wolves into the mix.

The fact about wolve killing so many livestock is not because they eat them a lot, but because, especially for sheep, drive them mad-charging in front of them out of fear and injuring/killing themselves in the process. And i dont count the bite-injured livestock who have to be killed cuz disease prevention.

Also, ive seen someone said france kill 35 wolve per year ? Are you crazy ? They kill only 6-10 per year if theyre especially dangerous/too numerous.

And i think you like wolves and find them cool until youre in a forest with a pack running you. _o/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by telygroar View Post
    The fact about wolve killing so many livestock is not because they eat them a lot, but because, especially for sheep, drive them mad-charging in front of them out of fear and injuring/killing themselves in the process. And i dont count the bite-injured livestock who have to be killed cuz disease prevention.

Also, ive seen someone said france kill 35 wolve per year ? Are you crazy ? They kill only 6-10 per year if theyre especially dangerous/too numerous.

And i think you like wolves and find them cool until youre in a forest with a pack running you. _o/
    Thing is, if you run a farm or whatever, in the middle of nowhere, you should expect some dangerous animals to visit you from time to time. Is all your fault if you can't handle the situation, and blame the wild animals. Almost all farmers I know have proper dogs. This exampe just come into my mind right know because of the apparence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani...c_Shepherd_Dog

Don't judge that dog by the amount of fluffy, this dog can keep away a bear or a few wolfs.

And, for your example with running into the woods and you meet some wolfs.. dude, what the hell are you doing with out proper defense tools, second, your freaking lucky if you meet a few wolfs.. if you meet a bear your in deep troubles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightGamer View Post
    I don't agree here and here is why: In Europe we basically destroyed and continue to destroy every single virgin wood and territory with industry and our stupid hotels and resorts. The area where those beautiful animals live is getting smaller and smaller, and so is food for them less and less, for all of them, not only wolfs. I've seen little bear cubs coming into different villages in search for food.

Personally I will not shot any animal only for fun. I know wolfs only attack when they are starving. Same is the bear.
    Lately, yes. But it hasn't always been like this, and I think the cultural perception of wolves is, by a major part, defined by the wolves' role a few centuries ago.

I also wonder when finally hunting wild animals becomes illegal. It is barbarism, and it definitely should be considered a crime against nature. We have enough meat and fur from the animals we grow on our farms, no need to destroy the wildlife, especially for the sake of sports or entertainment.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

crime against nature
    You don't know what this means, do you?.

We kinda killed all our wolves, 1786 being the last known kill. Apparently the English didn't like wolves when they came over to stay in Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    You don't know what this means, do you?.
    Lol I doubt it.

Sad thing is, there are people with that mindset who pushed wolf introduction through.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I live in Northern California, and one of the news items that caught my eye today was the confirmed presence of two gray wolves in nearby Lassen County. Here in the States, over the last two decades or so, we've been slowly re-introducing wolves into the wild since they were almost driven out of the States by ranchers and hunters who didn't like the competition. When I was a kid, my family had a wolf-breed as a pet. Her mom was a full-blooded, red wolf that was found in the wild as a pup and raised in captivity, and a dad who was a half-blooded red wolf. So, when you looked at her, there was no mistaking that she was basically a wolf with a little dog in her, not the other way around. But I digress.

In the States, perhaps because we take part of our national identity from the wild and untamed image of the land from the Old West days, and perhaps also because of the Native American view of them, we revere our wolves for the most part. They feature prominently in art, movies, shows, etc in a mostly positive light, as opposed to wolves in Europe which have for the most part been driven out of the majority of countries. In European lore, wolves almost always feature as scary, terrifying monsters, creatures that need to be killed or forces of destruction. There's very little love or fondness for wolves in most European cultures.

Now, of course I am talking in broad generalizations but we almost always are when we're talking about national and cultural trends. But why are wolves, basically the same creatures on either side of the ocean, viewed so differently in North America versus Europe?
    Wolves are treated the same everywhere: if you see one, run. Run very fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    The only thing i can think of is a line i saw in the paper named "comment of the day":

"Hunters are horrible creatures, killing animals for meat! They should go into the store and pick it up there like the rest of us!"
    I think She/he pointed that killing animals for fun or entertainment, can be considered a crime.

I also think everybody can understand that killing animals for your own/family survival is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Wolves are treated the same everywhere: if you see one, run. Run very fast.
    Actually that's a terrible way to escape a wolf or a pack of wolves, if you need to get away from wolves, fire a shot into the air, climb something high up or if you absolutely have to, try wrestling the dominant male to the ground, a natural territorial practice among wolves.

But seriously, that's like telling someone to jump into water if you see a tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Actually that's a terrible way to escape a wolf or a pack of wolves, if you need to get away from wolves, fire a shot into the air, climb something high up or if you absolutely have to, try wrestling the dominant male to the ground, a natural territorial practice among wolves.

But seriously, that's like telling someone to jump into water if you see a tiger.
    Over literal much???

Thank you for informing me that wolves run faster than humans. I had no idea. /sarcasm

Wolves are amazing creatures nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Over literal much???

Thank you for informing me that wolves run faster than humans. I had no idea. /sarcasm
    I just didn't want someone to take your post literally on this forum, I mean the average IQ score of people on this forum is like 34.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I just didn't want someone to take your post literally on this forum, I mean the average IQ score of people on this forum is like 34.
    Thank you for looking out for world wide wolf safety. Dude you probably just saved like, at least zero lives. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    Just gonna share this, dunno if its already been shared!

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...onment-protest

Inb4 BARBARIAN SCUM etc!"
    Inb4 Barbarian scum? no but no fucks would be given if the wolves tear a few apart doing so. Low chance though as they kill them from miles away.

The last 400 years 11 people have been killed in norway by wolves, what are the reason for killing them off?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Last year more than 11,000 hunters applied for licences to shoot 16 wolves, talk about wanting to kill stuff.