Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm in favor of dropping time zones. It would get rid of hassle in the long run in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    All these people saying things like your day and night cycle would be disturbed and you want to be awake during the day are absurd. This is just like the whole WoW "Number Squish" where everything's function and end effect stayed exactly the same, but an arbitrary number changed. "Earth Time" is actually a brilliant idea, and if you can't see why you're probably one of those "Wah, but I've always done it that way!" kind of people.

If someone can give me one logical (Non BS emotional whatever) reason to not adopt "Earth Time," I'll be impressed. And "the transition period will be difficult" is not a valid answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Daylight savings, sure. Time Zones? No. That's just stupid.
    This, Daylight is annoying even though most clocks auto adjust for it but it can still throw you off. Time zones are still needed, how would we decide on the universal time when it's night on 1 side and day on another.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

I don't really see the point. It seems like it'd be far more hassle than it's worth given that a lot of people would be confused. It'd involve every major country in the world to be on the same wave length and...that would be a troubling enough thought in itself, honestly. It'll no doubt be brushed off as a 'conspiracy theory' but if they did indeed push something like a 'single world clock' one would have to wonder what else they would be intending to do afterwards or before it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    If someone can give me one logical (Non BS emotional whatever) reason to not adopt "Earth Time," I'll be impressed. And "the transition period will be difficult" is not a valid answer.
    Currently:
    - Office Worker working 9am-5pm UTC has to contact someone in Sydney, Australia (+10).
    - It's currently 2pm UTC.
    - Adds 10 hours to his time and realises that it would be rude to call as it is 12am in Sydney.

UTC for all:
    - Office Worker working 9am-5pm UTC has to contact someone in Sydney, Australia.
    - Working hours for Sydney are 11pm-7am (-10 from UTC working hours).
    - Realises that it would be rude to call as it is 2pm everywhere and Sydney considers 2pm their midnight.

In both instances you have to perform some form of +/- 10, as in the first case you have to know what time it is in Sydney and the second case you have to know what is considered daylight time in Sydney. I argue that the former is an easier conversion to make.

It would be like WoW! People 'logging' in from all kinds of areas geographically, but sharing one realm time.

Life imitating video games.

Well timezones are kind of pointless. I mean people that used to be 1 hour behind the standard would just adjust their usual schedule by an hour, the next old time zone would adjust by 2 hours and so on.

Its also pointless to remove them and easier to keep them and not expect the entire world to adjust.

10+ Year Old Account
    China doesn't use time zones and it ends up being awkward.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    And "the transition period will be difficult" is not a valid answer.
    It's absolutely a valid answer. The cost for transition would far and away counter the supposed benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I argue that the former is an easier conversion to make.
    In the end, the conversion itself is the same. Second is more effort because you're using what is effectively a time zone, while going out of your way to not consider it a time zone.
    Last edited by Dispraise; 2016-11-07 at 03:31 AM.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    I'd rather be able to do stuff during the day and sleep at night thanks. My routine shouldn't be disturbed because some people up top decided that the world should start following one clock.
    I don't think you're quite getting what he's saying like, at all. No time zones doesn't mean that all the sudden you'd have to go to work at what is midnight now because it's noon elsewhere in the world. Locally, everything would be the same. You'd just read time differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    I don't think you're quite getting what he's saying like, at all. No time zones doesn't mean that all the sudden you'd have to go to work at what is midnight now because it's noon elsewhere in the world. Locally, everything would be the same. You'd just read time differently.
    Still doesn't solve the issue of jet lag.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Daylight Savings is a pointless time mechanic. Timezones are not.

Yeah... no -- the times are set in accordance of the day's cycle, suffice to say the idea is just completely retarded.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-11-07 at 04:26 AM.

Deleted
    if you remove "time zones" you would just have to replace them with "start of day zones" that indicate at what hour the sun rises/the day starts, which would effectively be the same point.

Instead of asking "what is 9am CEST in PST? --> 23:00" you will ask "At what time to Europeans go to work school?---> 23:00"

what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    if you remove "time zones" you would just have to replace them with "start of day zones" that indicate at what hour the sun rises/the day starts, which would effectively be the same point.

Instead of asking "what is 9am CEST in PST? --> 23:00" you will ask "At what time to Europeans go to work school?---> 23:00"

what's the difference?
    A lot of work just to make it more complicated?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think getting rid of timezones will be difficult but there may be a standard timezone used as reference when space exploration and warfare become more important.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Where I live I think Daylight saving system should be a thing. In summer, sunrise is at almost 5 am, while work hours start at about 8 am. It's very very hot in the afternoon, leaving an hour earlier is a very good thing.

Regarding time zone, it's important because it help everyone find if it's night or morning in a country fast!

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Guy says we should not only get rid of daylight savings, we should get ride of time zones too.
    It means guy is an idiot.

/thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I think getting rid of timezones will be difficult but there may be a standard timezone used as reference when space exploration and warfare become more important.
    We already have that, the "standard" timezone is UTC, hence why anything else is referred to as that + or - the difference (I.E UTC +3 or -2). You may have heard pilots refer to it in films (sometimes calling it zulu time).
    Last edited by caervek; 2016-11-07 at 11:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Currently:
    - Office Worker working 9am-5pm UTC has to contact someone in Sydney, Australia (+10).
    - Adds 10 hours to his time and realises that it would be rude to call as it is 12am in Sydney.

UTC for all:
    - Office Worker working 9am-5pm UTC has to contact someone in Sydney, Australia.
    - Realises that it would be rude to call as it is 2pm everywhere and Sydney considers 2pm their midnight.

In both instances you have to perform some form of +/- 10, as in the first case you have to know what time it is in Sydney and the second case you have to know what is considered daylight time in Sydney. I argue that the former is an easier conversion to make.

That way of thinking doesn't make sense. If we had universal time it would be way easier:
    - The worker looks at clock and realizes that there is nobody working at the moment in the Sydney.
    - Schedules the call for the time you know someone will be at the office - without doing any unnecessary calculations

Although I'm up for the Universal World Time idea I don't see that happening. Best thing we could hope for now is dual time - local time as it is(minus daylight saving adjustment) and universal time for anything that matter outside local scope. We basically have system very close to this, except for the standardised universal time zone that everybody knows how to calculate their local time to.

We already have UTC. That fills all the needs he has. Good luck in trying to coordinate meetings using that, though.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.