Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

How did you discover GW2?

Hello, my lovely champions from Tyria. How are you today?!

So, how did you discover Guild Wars 2?

You came from GW1?
    You watched a random trailer on Youtube?
    Friend recommendation?

I watched Angry Joe's review about the game and went right in after it.

And you?

Played GW1 a lot, then tried GW2 when on a break from WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fizz View Post
    Played GW1 a lot, then tried GW2 when on a break from WoW.
    Well you answered for me too ^^

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when everything was trying to kill WoW?

Yeah, those times. Saw a random post on mmo-champ, with a Charr in a screenshot. HAD to play the game.

I was at Pax East the year it came out and Jon Peters was on the Future of MMOs panel. At the end he did a demo of the game and it looked interesting and everyone there got passes for the first beta weekend.

PC Gamer magazine, I think it was when they announced the game (like...8 years ago at this point? 9?) and it got the cover of that issue.

Don't remember what I did to get in, but I got in for the first closed beta. That weekend alone of farting around convinced me the game would be legit. Later on I got another friend to sign up who joined me for the...third closed beta, I believe. Had an absolute blast.

I enjoyed GW1 and the information about GW2 when GW:EN released...

Then nearly a decade later, the info was still interesting, so I gave it a shot. :-p
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

In the post 2004 world where everyone was waiting for the next big MMOG after WoW (because how could they not just keep getting bigger and better??) GW1 came out and we all played around with it for a while, but it really didn't scratch the MMOG itch. Bought most of the expansion content over time but didn't play all that much. The GW2 announcement looked really good and I followed it until release and played for a while before going back to WoW. Went back to it in a fairly big way during a WoW lull a couple years ago. Haven't really played since the GW2 expansion though.

GW2 is absolutely worth the price even if you only spend a month enjoying the leveling content. It's a pretty fun PvP game too.

I really enjoyed the first Guild Wars games. Anet sent out an email with the announcement of Guild Wars 2.

Deleted
    If I recall right it was some fellow guildies in WoW that mentioned it and I had a look at it and played with them when the game launched.

Still drop in now and then
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2016-11-07 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Hello, my lovely champions from Tyria. How are you today?!

So, how did you discover Guild Wars 2?

You came from GW1?
    You watched a random trailer on Youtube?
    Friend recommendation?

I watched Angry Joe's review about the game and went right in after it.

And you?
    Good question, i applied to the beta, got invited, loved the game, the quitted midway lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Never played GW1, but the concept of the game was incredibly interesting. I used to work as a video game clerk, and so I used (still do actually) to read a lot about games. I'm a huge fan of MMORPGs, and so when GW2 was announced it instantly caught my eye.

Participated in almost all beta tests, closed and open, and had one hell of a good time. Loved the game when it launched, and played for several months. I leveled two 80s (Warrior and Thief) and really had a blast getting the world explorer achievement.

I'm sad Heart of Thorn didn't give me the same feeling of wonder, but I still have high hopes for the game.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

The wait from when GW2 was announced (2007) to release (2012) was excruciating.

I remember that waiting period being so full of speculation, rumor and wild theories. For literal years, friends and guild mates of mine routinely would pine for and many claimed to to be 'waiting for' GW2. Nearly a day did not go by where some guildmate or friend mentioned the long wait for GW2.

My friends would not shut up about it. Then it came out...
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Guild died during Heroic Spine progression so I really had nothing to do. Also I had no interest in MoP neither, and my friend wouldn't shut up about GW2. Even Totalbuscuit covered GW2 at a convention. So it came out and I gave it a try. I actually hated it for a month, still in the WoW mindset, but once I started playing it like GW2 was meant to be played I fell in love.

10+ Year Old Account
    I first learned about GW2 from the people over at gamebreaker tv. Forget the name of the pod cast, but they got me pretty interested in the game.

There was a bunch of us at work that played WOW and one guy showed me GW1 and told me about GW2 coming out. Got excited when I saw the first GW2 video on youtube.

Was taking notice of it around early 2012. Was busy getting ready for MoP at the time though so I held off and asked for it as a Christmas present. Back when I had a crappy AMD 6670 that could barely run it.

I saw an ad for it on sale for $10 (or was it $15? I cannot remember) during the GW2 ad blitz leading up to the HoT announcement. $10 for a B2P MMORPG with a couple years of post-launch development on it (Hilarious considering how that turned out in reality) was an insta-grab for me. Being a sequel also suggested that the development team had experience with this type of game and the sequel would be refining what works and making it even better (once again, a fallacy on my part).