Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Why do Alts have to NOT be "grindy?"

I don't understand this line of thinking. Why do you feel that your alt characters should have an easier time completing things and gearing up compared to your main? They are their own SEPARATE character from your main, so logic would dictate that it should take just as much time and effort into gearing and doing things on that character as any other character.

This whole mindset that alts need to take less time to level up, less time to do professions, less time to gear up is just unfounded. Guess what, in TBC, if you wanted a second character, you leveled up, got into normal dungeons, grinded the rep to revered with all the heroic dungeon factions, did attunement to Kara, went linearly through the raid tiers, JUST. LIKE. YOUR. MAIN.

So last question, why is it an expectation that one should have 12 equally geared and raid ready characters these days?

Fuck off Jaylock, go back under your bridge.

You will find your answer if you look up the meaning of the phrase: Straw Man Argument.

You have to wonder what he does to avoid forum bans with his constant, CONSTANT baiting threads. Honestly. Either he has some deal with the mods or they're just too lazy to care.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    You have to wonder what he does to avoid forum bans with his constant, CONSTANT baiting threads. Honestly. Either he has some deal with the mods or they're just too lazy to care.
    I have seen him banned a few times
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    He gets banned regularly. Always comes back and starts the same shit again

Get a hobby mate.

I mean. He kind of has a point. There's virtually no reason an alt should be faster, just because you feel as though you did enough work on your main already to warrant it.

Calling what he said a 'Strawman argument' just says you should look up what that is, because it wasn't one.

I tend to find the complaints come from those who build up alts during content lulls and get into a routine and then get very aggravated when their routine gets disrupted. They had a dozen raid ready alts by expansions end and all of a sudden the expansion renders them obsolete and throws them back into the grind. What is absurd is those who do maintain a dozen or even two dozen alts thinking they represent the majority.

Deleted
    Not everyone of us is TBC pve heroes, but infact wotlk-cata-mop-wod babies that just pvp, and forget pvping on more than 1 char if you play in legion I'm punished for playing like I did past expansions, keeping several classes at up to date gear, that's not possible now as I have to pve because it seems you can ALWAYS get better gear and traits, there's no "stop". It's ok, just going to play my dk but boy did I waste to much time already on alts.

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean is, most people are just shocked since it's like TBC after 4 expansions of easy-get-geared.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    I mean. He kind of has a point. There's virtually no reason an alt should be faster, just because you feel as though you did enough work on your main already to warrant it.

Calling what he said a 'Strawman argument' just says you should look up what that is, because it wasn't one.
    People that alt usually play longer. All people really request is easier is alt atunement, reputation and and other gates designed to last the duration of a patch. Less alts just means less roles available for your raids

10+ Year Old Account
    I have asked the same question to myself a number of times recently. I'm mainly concerned that as things continue to become more convenient as wow becomes more and more "alt-friendly", the community will become more sensitive to any form of grind or gating content that extends beyond the very first time they do it. We see it time and time again each xpac, with more restrictions lifted every time. Spoiling the child isn't the best philosophy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    He gets banned regularly. Always comes back and starts the same shit again
    You'd think MMOC would just break out a perma ban at this point
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythruss View Post
    I have asked the same question to myself a number of times recently. I'm mainly concerned that as things continue to become more convenient as wow becomes more and more "alt-friendly", the community will become more sensitive to any form of grind or gating content that extends beyond the very first time they do it. We see it time and time again each xpac, with more restrictions lifted every time. Spoiling the child isn't the best philosophy to follow.
    It's called catering to the masses, it's a successful business model

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually agree.

But I think you'll find that most posters don't. The majority engage with this game as 'a player', and don't have any special feeling towards their characters as separate entities. They'll say "I've already done this once before, why do I have to do it all again?" and from their perspective as 'a player' that is perfectly true and correct. XxÄrthåsxX the human death knight and Lègølás the belf hunter, have different coloured pixels, and different spells to execute - but they're both just a different skin of Bob from Accounting. They don't truly exist as characters in their own right.

@Mythruss

Grinding is what made the game a lot more social, as it provided additional solo content to all the character progressions, as well as content you could do without thinking while you banter with your friends. The market for solo playing is greater than social so over time the grinds have been reduced or removed so people can enjoy their solo game more readily.

Thats why more grinds have been reduced or removed, they are boring for solo players, and there are a lot more solo-minded players than their used to be - a self-perpetuating loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

People play alts for many different reasons, one main one being that when you have reached a certain point with one character, you want to start another. However, if you have to go through the same tedious grinds that your main had to go through, you begin to lose interest. Losing interest in alts means you will play on your main, not play your alts, and stop playing the game except to play your main. Slowly, you may even just stop playing the game, because there are gates that prevent you from enjoying your alt in a way you enjoy your main. Simply having another spec to "enjoy" the game doesn't mean that's enough.

I played in TBC, and just because "that's the way it used to be in TBC" doesn't change the fact that those countless things people like you talk up? They're the same things countless people in TBC wanted changed. The same people who go on about how attunements back then were a good thing. They were horrible, in every. possible. way.
    Last edited by Malygaa; 2016-11-08 at 10:17 PM.

Stopped clocks are right 2x per day. I actually agree with him on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Stopped clocks are right 2x per day. I actually agree with him on this one.
    I find it kinda funny people seemed to be so busy falling over themselves to tell Jaylock to sod off they refused to accept he was making a cogent argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So last question, why is it an expectation that one should have 12 equally geared and raid ready characters these days?
    I don't know about 12, but if Blizzard gave us more profession slots on the main, I wouldn't give a damn about alts. Meanwhile, we need at least one gathering alt.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-