Trials of Valor tips share

We have some guides based on PTR and by the end of the week may have some based on Live. In the meantime we have each other.

My team farmed EN last night and plans to tackle ToV this Thursday. I've watched the Fatboss PTR videos, but would love to hear what some of you have tried and how that worked and what you've learned.

Some friends who attempted to pug it yesterday told me the fire zones in ph3 of Odyn were fairly predictable, always going from one side to the middle to the other side. Tornados against the walls. Guessing ranged on Hymdall and melee on Hyrja? How did you monitor/call out their health?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I wouldn't say always, we saw the 3 fire zones rotate in each of the possible configurations. Though it's possible if you maintain consistent positioning they might be a more consistent order. I have a boss health frame that shows me the health of all the bosses in an encounter, I think it is available with the base game if not it's from DBM.

Down'ed first 2 bosses last night, few wipes. The main mechanics weren't that bad, but there's just ONE main mechanic that we messed up on for each boss.

1) Odyn, for whatever reason people just kept dying to that damn electric floor. We tried to move the raid quickly to the "safe area", but wiped a few times from lack of coordination. I'd suggest once you get to that phase, people focus more on the floor than damage. You only have to bring him to 10% to win the fight.
    2) For Guarm, basically its a tank and spank. Make sure everyone is in their right Guardian's Breath color and continues to stand in the right one. This is a dps check, so go balls out for most of the fight. The charge mechanic is easy to dodge once you've seen it once. Basically its either left or right side and he swings back around.
    3) We only barely got to Phase 3 for Helya. Have tanks taunt her and spray on left and right sides. Else, kill adds and tentacles with priority listings, Mariners being top priority. That's as far as we got.

I could use some tips on what to do about the tons of tiny skeleton adds, Decaying Minions. The timing seems off where we have to bring those things up to the platforms during her sea attack and we can't kill them because they leave that crap on the floor. We tried to aoe them down but more seem to spawn? How do you guys handle those tiny skel adds? Think once we figure out a good strat for that mechanic, the rest will fall into place.

Odyn - Handle Hyrja's spear of light correctly as it can even kill people on normal if not handled properly. Lorkin's strat involving the floor mentioned above is also the hardest part of P3, people need to pay attention the mechanic is fairly forgiving but raiders need to stay on their toes.

Guarm - Pretty straightforward fight, the only thing my raid struggled with was his leap and charge, keep an eye on the timer and when it's about to go off try to collect your raid closer to him, as if they are at the back of the room and he leaps on top of them odds are slim of them surviving. Rotate healer cd's for each one of his leaping charge phases.

Helya - P1 is pretty easy but you have to stay on top of dispels or they will overwhelm your healers pretty quickly. P2 is rough add management is important and handling the debuff that spreads need to be focused on, it's easy to get overwhelmed by the small adds, like Lorkin above killing these on the bottom platform became troublesome since they basically just kept spawning endlessly and lack threat tables. Try to kill adds and get up to one of the platforms before maw goes out. Goal would be to have all tentacles killed during 2nd maw. Never seen P3 ourselves, but we assume handle adds properly and lust and kill her before dispels and adds get out of control.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorkin View Post
    I could use some tips on what to do about the tons of tiny skeleton adds, Decaying Minions. The timing seems off where we have to bring those things up to the platforms during her sea attack and we can't kill them because they leave that crap on the floor. We tried to aoe them down but more seem to spawn? How do you guys handle those tiny skel adds? Think once we figure out a good strat for that mechanic, the rest will fall into place.
    Because they leave a tonne of crap on the ground when they spawn everyone targeted should go to the base of the stairs of the platform your going to, this'll narrow they're path leaving them fairly clumped. Don't go upstairs immediately with them, stun, aoe them near the base and only gradually move up the stairs. Having the upper platform clear is essential so you don't spread the Fetid Rot from the grimelord when it spawns.

If your getting more minions before the others are dead then your likely having some dps issues.

As for P3 Helya, its P1 but without the tentacle strike but now the inclusion of minions & the mariner. The mariner should die fast, clump up & aoe the minions. At this point they'll be a lot of crap on the ground, its simply a case of utilizing whatever space you have until the Fury of the Maw washes it all away.

I as a tank simply had to stand in it otherwise I'd just nuke the entire raid with the breath.

We downed Helya tonight after a few attempts. It came down to just getting the correct timing of the fight and phases, we took about 8 mins to clear it. We essentially stacked for the Adds and aoe'd them down all at once. Apparently the green crap on the ground doesn't stack so you can have all the adds plopping it on the same space and it counts as once stack.

Once we cleared that we moved onto phase 3, which was pretty straight forward. The Green Orb for Phase 3 leaves more crap on the ground, but she eventually does 1 wave from time to time to help clear out the green goo for you. So I would say once you're in Phase 3 you should be good to go to down her.

I tanked Helya on N last night and we two-shot her, but wow was that one crazy fight. Or at least it seems that way now; I'm sure it will slow down after we've done it a few times. As tank, the craziest part was constantly getting debuffs that needed to be run out while also knowing she would gain stacking buffs if we weren't in melee range. Looking at the guide again this morning, I can see that Tainted Essence (green) is always applied to the tank with current threat, who then needs to side step to avoid the explosion, being careful not to get so far to one side that a breath attack will spawn slimes up top. Orbs of Corruption (purple) always target the tank without current threat; the main concern when running these out is being able to get back in time to taunt when the other tank gets breathed on.

The small adds died fast for us and weren't a problem, as we killed them down low where the waves washed Decay away. Bilewater Corrosion from the slimes filled the area next to Helya so I had no choice but to stand in it. Fortunately our healers were strong enough to heal through it.

We tanked the big adds near bottom tentacles until they died, then ran up one platform to get tentacles, down to kill more big adds, then up the other platform.

I wan't raid lead, and wasn't always sure I was doing it right, but somehow it worked out and we downed her. Now to study up, gain a deeper understanding of the parts that confused me, and get ready for a H run.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Tried Heroic Trials last night and ran into a few problems then called it early cause of a consistent bug.

Phase 1 is basically a gimme, no problem there.

Issues popped up in phase 2 with Herja and her shield plus the goddam machine gun fire spawn rate of the spears often fucking up positioning. However the main reason we couldn't get to phase 3 was that, randomly during an add spawn phase, he wouldn't drop a stack of the runes even though all adds were dead, which would lead to deaths, then a slowing of dps and an eventual wipe.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it