Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I recently learned of the original italian recipe for ragu ala bolognese, and since then, yes, i've been cooking my own sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    People talking about time? It takes as long to throw a tin of tomatoes, some puree, garlic, onion, basil in the pot and cook as it does the jar containing those things at 3 times the price.
    Your pasta water won't even come to a boil before you finish the sauce. Or you can do it days ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I recently learned of the original italian recipe for ragu ala bolognese, and since then, yes, i've been cooking my own sauce.
    Is there an original recipe? I'm interested. The ones I know are my basic marinara sauce with some meat.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    A can of plum tomatoes and add garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, olive oil and let it simmer. Whipped it up one poor man's night when my cabinets were bare. Turns out it was soooo good and now it's my go-to easy, quick, cheap sauce. Better than the jarred stuff I've bought before.

I've always wanted to try, how long does it take?

Nah, I don't think i'd be very good at it. I like plan Ragu, or sometimes i'll fry up a lb of beef to toss in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

My great grandparents are from Sicily and passed down a pasta sauce recipe to my grandmother, who passed it to my Aunt, who then taught me. Because of this, I am a bit of an elitist when it comes to red sauces and will not eat pre-made sauce.

I was actually planning on making it this Saturday, so I'm pretty excited about that!

sometimes. depending on whether our san marzano tomato crop was plentiful enough. I'm pretty basic though when it comes to ingredients - just tomatoes, salt, garlic, parsley and olive oil - that gets caned. tried adding red wine once. didn't like it.

I tend to just add other stuff like mushrooms or ground meat later for individual dishes, based on mood. I used to buy crushed tomatoes jars before, but nowadays I'm far too lazy and just buy already made sauce when I don't have acess to tomatoes from my garden

Deleted
    I do actually!

I have this recipe I got from an Italian man on a camping holiday in Italy almost 15 years ago and I still use it.

In a large non-stick sauce pan (12-14 inches) over medium heat add: 1 medium size onion + 3-4 portabella mushrooms + 2 cloves of garlic... freshly cut (large or small as you like).

Once the onions start to soften add 1 lb of hamburger + 1 Tbsp of paprika + 1 tsp ground black pepper + 1 Tbsp oregano + 1 tsp basil + 2-3 fingers of jack daniels (any whiskey will do just prefer black label and always have it around).

Once the hamburger is done strain the meat (do NOT rinse, you savages) and return to pan add 1 large jar (30-32 oz) of tomato sauce + 1 Tbsp of fresh cream cheese.

This is most important... bring to a low bubbling boil and kill the heat. Stir from the bottom and heat the mixture evenly throughout. Once it is no longer bubbling it's ready to serve.

*** I dislike the taste of salt... you may need to add salt in the browning stage to your liking.

Hope you enjoy

10+ Year Old Account
    Never tried to make my own. I buy jar.

Seems like more trouble than its worth, but I will spend 4 hours getting Gumbo right

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I use wine in my sauces. White wine in my cream/cheese sauces and red wine in my tomato based sauces. Black olives in a meaty spaghetti sauce is also pretty damn good.

Don't get me wrong tho...having two kids and being in a constant time crunch I'm all for dumping sauce from a jar. Newman's and Bertolli(?) make some decent tasting sauces you can get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Seems like more trouble than its worth
    You'd be surprised. My sauce takes (ideally) about 6 hours from the time I start the flame on the stove but it is absolutely worth it. Night and day difference between that and anything that comes from a jar.

Obviously "worth it" is a matter of opinion, but I'd encourage you try at least once if you're a pasta lover!

Also, homemade meatballs that bake for 30 minutes and then spend the next 5 hours cooking in the sauce are probably the best thing ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by devven9 View Post
    You'd be surprised. My sauce takes (ideally) about 6 hours from the time I start the flame on the stove but it is absolutely worth it. Night and day difference between that and anything that comes from a jar.

Obviously "worth it" is a matter of opinion, but I'd encourage you try at least once if you're a pasta lover!

Also, homemade meatballs that bake for 30 minutes and then spend the next 5 hours cooking in the sauce are probably the best thing ever.
    dang! that sounds good.

I tried to make pasta sauce from scratch but it didn't turn out well so I just get the plainest canned sauce and add my own spices to taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I tried to make pasta sauce from scratch but it didn't turn out well so I just get the plainest canned sauce and add my own spices to taste.

spoken like a true Canadian.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife makes amazing homemade pasta sauce. Not sure of the exact portions, but the only thing that comes from a jar/can is tomato paste, and 1 jar of Ragu.
    Usually end up skinning and dicing about 30 tomatoes, Red/yellow/orange/poblano peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, garlic, ground beef. The only thing I don't know is the spices. It never tastes exactly the same because she doesn't have a "recipe" per se. But it tastes amazing every time. And from start to finish is usually a whole days worth of process to get it right.
    And it tastes like heaven on your tongue. I can't eat the stuff you buy in stores anymore. She has ruined me.
    Same goes for Salsa. The homemade salsa she makes blows the doors off of anything you can buy in store.