Techies - have your employers expressed the impact of the election?

Curious. I do business analytics and ML for a data company and there's a confluence that we'd lay off, lower wages, and shift to recent grads if the new president does what he says he'll do. What's the talk at your place?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Curious. I do business analytics and ML for a data company and there's a confluence that we'd lay off, lower wages, and shift to recent grads if the new president does what he says he'll do. What's the talk at your place?
    If the business will benefit from a leaner strategy then good choice, if you're laying off people who create value for the business then you're just bad decision makers. Trump will only lead the executive branch, he will not be the grand emperor of the government and economy.

I'm the only here who gives a f'ck about politics. I'm the only one who voted for example.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    If the business will benefit from a leaner strategy then good choice, if you're laying off people who create value for the business then you're just bad decision makers. Trump will only lead the executive branch, he will not be the grand emperor of the government and economy.
    The question was along the line of what is the noise in your office.

Nobody in my company has discussed anything. Honestly, Trump's attempts to limit free trade will likely fall flat. Free trade is good for an economy, whether he wants to admit it, or not. His latitude when it comes to executive orders is rather limited, and much of what he preaches goes against both the Democrats' and GOP's platform. His biggest impact will be felt among the minority communities, either real or imagined. It's clear the racial hostility will increase, since we have evidence of it starting already. Other than that, Trump's not going to do most of the things he claims to be able to do. Even as an authoritarian, he's in charge of the weakest of the three branches of government.