Thread: Subsistence

Deleted

Subsistence

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ...8umY2Pg/videos
    https://twitter.com/playsubsistence
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/418030/discussions/0/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418030/
    Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence@Steam
    Subsistence is a sandbox, first person, open-world survival game (currently only singleplayer, with multiplayer in development). Struggle to build a base and gear-up in the hostile environment. Defend yourself from wildlife and AI hunters (who also build bases in the world).

Subsistence is (for me) another survival game, in early access on Steam, that I've been playing recently, and liking a lot. It's being developed by a single person, but so far it's been really fun, and working pretty good. The idea of the game is that you exist in this forest with mountains around you, and you start collecting wood, fiber and so on, and then building a house for yourself. The forest is inhabited by chickens and rabbits, but also wolves and bears which will eat you. Once you get your house, or your "base" going, NPC hunters will start spawning in the forest, and building their own bases.

There are these boxes or "bins" all around the forest, some for medical gear, some for ammo, some for building materials and so on. As far as staying alive goes, you'll find water, blueberries and apples in them (although blueberries also grow on the ground), and you kill and butcher wolves and bears (as well as chickens and rabbits) for meat and liver. You can build up your base with different kinds of technological contraptions, to produce more power and mass, which will allow you to build even more stuff.

Note that I don't get anything out of "advertising" this game. I just picked it up myself and thought it was fun enough to play for the 14€ price, and since I didn't find a thread for it yet, I thought I'd make one. Here are a couple of streamers playing the game. You can watch the first episode and then follow the links to the subsequent ones.

The first one is PartiallyRoyal:

Here's someone called GameEdged:

Here's a YouTuber called GrayStillPlays:
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-11-15 at 05:42 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yawn, how many more fucking survival games do we need? Boring looking too.

I suppose a single-player focused survival game would be neat. Not sure if this can live up to that though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    I've been playing it for a while now, and for what it is - a game being developed by a single person, in extremely early alpha - it's been very much fun. It's not too easy, at all, and supposedly it'll get harder constantly. Personally I find myself a bit screwed in my own game - I used to have two hunters building their base a ways from mine, but I just ran into two other hunters who have their base quite near mine, and I blew all my ammunition to kill them. The fun thing about these hunter bases is that you can break into them and steal all their shit. Plus, when you kill them, they'll have stuff you can't even craft, such as better armor/clothing.

I can definitely see the potential here, and so far it's been more entertaining than, for example, The Long Dark.

As for whether there "should" be more survival games or not...less variety never did anything good for the gaming industry. There's no "cap" on how many games can be up for sale on Steam, and I doubt this single guy would be working on any other games if he wasn't making this one. If survival games aren't your cup of tea, then fair enough. Play other games and discuss those. Us survival game fans will stick to survival games, though, and the more of them there are, the better.

Now I gotta go feed my chicken and harvest my tomatoes in Subsistence.

Deleted
    Subsistence is another survival game
    I really hope that's not part of the official description.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I really hope that's not part of the official description.
    No, it's not part of the official description. It's "another survival game", in that I also made the thread for 7 Days to Die. So, for me, it's "another survival game that I'm making a thread for", and so on. Here's the official description, if you're interested:
    Subsistence is a sandbox, first person, open-world survival game (currently only singleplayer, with multiplayer in development). Struggle to build a base and gear-up in the hostile environment. Defend yourself from wildlife and AI hunters (who also build bases in the world).
    I guess I'll add to the OP to avoid this kind of pointless vitriol. In any case, if you look at Subsistence's Steam page, you'll see the this:
    OVERALL: Very Positive (460 reviews)
    81% of the 460 user reviews for this game are positive.
    Compared to something like No Man's Sky, and all the hype it got, and the hundreds of pages in it's thread, and it's insane price, and then what a letdown it was, this is pretty decent.

In any case, there's no need to fight here. It's great that there are individuals like this guy, making games for people. Not all of them can be insanely amazing, but one must keep some perspective; if the guy is doing all of it alone, it can't always be on a AAA level. There surely have been clear cash grabs and scams on Steam and crowdsourcing platforms, and this doesn't look to be one.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-11-13 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yawn, how many more fucking survival games do we need? Boring looking too.
    I agree, there are way, way too many open world survival sandbox games. They feel generic as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    An open world sandbox survival game!!!!! I'm sold.