First time building a PC, some questions

I'm planning on buying almost all the parts for the mmo-c puppy build of the month (here on pcpartpicker.com /list/vB9vbj) except for the case; 220 instead of the 210, because the 210 gives a compability note.

1)How worried should I be about the "Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs." note?

2)The mmo-c doesn't include a network adapter, half the year I can be directly connected to the modem, the other I'll need to use the Wi-Fi. What options do I have to do that?

3)I'll use 2 monitors, do I need something extra for that? (second one is old, vga connector only)

4)To get rid of static when building, do I just put the power supply (off mode) in the case, plug it to the wall and touch the case?

5)Small extra things to have for the building process? (thermal paste, generic screwdriver)

6)As I still have doubts about windows 10, is windows 7 the safer option?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($99.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ OutletPC)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus VX228H 21.5" 60Hz Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Kensington Pro Fit Wired Media Keyboard Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $615.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 17:42 EST-0500

To make it easier for everyone.

1) Not worried at all
    2) A regular PCI wireless 802.11n network adapter will be fine
    3) You'll need a DVI-D to VGA adapter like this providing your using the HDMI port for the main monitor
    4) I've personally never powered the PSU until the built is complete and just ground myself by touching something nearby before work
    5) Will net you a handful of degrees off the stock paste which really only matters if you're overclocking. MX-4 is a good default choice
    6) Depends on whether or not you think DX12 is worth it

I will say that you can likely save a few bucks if your heart is set on going AMD. For example, I would swap out the current motherboard and go with the (currently cheaper) MSI Gaming 970 which is what I used and was completely happy with. You won't have USB 3.0 support on they 210 though if that matters. You can probably find a better monitor too like this VX238H if you're into MiRs.

To be honest though, I wouldn't go with an AM3 build at this point. For one, performance isn't really there and second it's finally being phased out early next year when AM4 hits the mainstream market.

Given what you're building, I will assume you're on a fixed/tight budget and aren't looking to play Battlefield 1 on Ultra with 60fps so I would recommend an i3-6100 setup to not only give you better performance over the 6300 but also be sitting on a socket which will last in to Kaby Lake in the event that you decide to upgrade your processor at a later date.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Corsair)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($99.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ OutletPC)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus VX228H 21.5" 60Hz Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Kensington Pro Fit Wired Media Keyboard Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $619.66
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 18:24 EST-0500

It's a little more expensive if you don't like MiRs but you'll be in a much better position. The i3-6100 scales well with faster memory so pairing it with a z170 and anything north of 2133 will provide a nice performance boost (proof) and give you future options. You'll notice no aftermarket cooling because, truth be told, an i3-6100 at stock will be more than enough for the build since you're pairing it with a 460. It's overkill now, sure, but who knows what'll happen in a year or two.

My two cents.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-11-12 at 12:45 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I would steer clear of AMD if you can, there is no situation where they are faster than intel at the same price range. I actually have no idea who does the builds for MMOchamp, but they clearly have not done any research in the past few years. Go with an intel i3 6100 and a H110 motherboard, you will have a much better gaming experience.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I would steer clear of AMD if you can, there is no situation where they are faster than intel at the same price range. I actually have no idea who does the builds for MMOchamp, but they clearly have not done any research in the past few years. Go with an intel i3 6100 and a H110 motherboard, you will have a much better gaming experience.
    To add to this, going with an H110M motherboard would save you about $30 - 35 but would lock you at DDR4-2133 memory which is something to be mindful of especially with an i3-6100 but less so for i5s where you might see a couple of frames brought up on the minimum with, say, 2666 or higher. I mean, both will me more than enough for the 460 in either case but, if I were you, I'd rather spend a little extra in the event that next year or the year after you decide to throw more money in to it.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-11-12 at 12:03 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I didnt even notice the rx460, the gtx 1050 is a much better card for only 10 bucks more