W10 Annivery Update is causing issues I think - How to reformat/avoid it?

So after my PC forced a Windows 10 -> Windows 10 Anniversary Update a few months back, I've been having this random restart issue on my PC. I've done some investigation trying to track down the culprit, and at this point I'm fairly convinced its the anniversary update causing the problem.

If I decide to reformat to a basic Windows 10 installation, how do I avoid installing the anniversary update? And if I am able to avoid installing it, doesn't that mean I won't be able to get ANY future Windows updates, or how does that work?

10+ Year Old Account
    The forced Windows 10 update issue is such a big deal that lots of people are downgrading back to Windows 7 to avoid it. Otherwise, all you can do is delay the inevitable.

At work some coworkers have been testing Windows 10 on non-networked machines, that is to say they cannot receive updates. They actually had a newer Nvidia driver refuse to install on it because it was an "old" (non-updated) version of Windows 10. So, even if you could prevent it from updating, it might end up causing headaches / incompatibilities down the line anyways.

Personally I haven't updated to Windows 10 at home or at work, so I can't offer any advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll have to update it eventually. It will prevent other pre-requisites.

Don't look at the Anniversary update as just a single item patch. It's literally Windows 10.3. You'll need it to install next big patch, Redstone 2 (Or 1703, whatever you want to call it). That, or it will simply be a part of it.

You really can't avoid it, without effectively gimping your computer security-wise.

That said, what evidence indicates that you think its the anniversary update? I've troubleshot a couple hundred systems regarding that, from reboots to driver issues. I think you're better off solving the actual problem, than just avoiding the update. To date, I have not found a single unsolvable issue with the anniversary update.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You'll have to update it eventually. It will prevent other pre-requisites.

Don't look at the Anniversary update as just a single item patch. It's literally Windows 10.3. You'll need it to install next big patch, Redstone 2 (Or 1703, whatever you want to call it). That, or it will simply be a part of it.

You really can't avoid it, without effectively gimping your computer security-wise.

That said, what evidence indicates that you think its the anniversary update? I've troubleshot a couple hundred systems regarding that, from reboots to driver issues. I think you're better off solving the actual problem, than just avoiding the update. To date, I have not found a single unsolvable issue with the anniversary update.
    My only evidence is that the problem didn't start occurring until after that forced updated. I know thats flimsy, but at this point I don't know what else could be causing it. As it is now, I've been using my PC the past day and a half or so with out a single restart - yet the day I posted this it reset 4 or 5 times, sometimes with only a few minutes between restarts.

Did you roll the computer back to before the update?

15+ Year Old Account
    On my laptop i also had troubles with the Anniversary Update. The laptop was initially upgraded from windows 8 and after the anniversary update it got stuck after reboot (still during the update). In the end i made clean wipe and reinstalled windows 10 directly (with the anniversary update included in the install iso).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    My only evidence is that the problem didn't start occurring until after that forced updated. I know thats flimsy, but at this point I don't know what else could be causing it.
    Honestly, I'd look at doing a full format and reinstall using the newest updates before looking into avoiding it altogether.

I like Windows 10. I do. But I also dealt with the havoc the Anniversary update caused, as well. It's pretty damn good... when it works proper. Most of the kinks have been worked out, so if you're willing to, I'd try that first.

Alternatively, if you're still getting restarts, I'd suggest doing a full battery of Tweaking.com repairs. This WILL take hours to do.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    So after my PC forced a Windows 10 -> Windows 10 Anniversary Update a few months back, I've been having this random restart issue on my PC. I've done some investigation trying to track down the culprit, and at this point I'm fairly convinced its the anniversary update causing the problem.

If I decide to reformat to a basic Windows 10 installation, how do I avoid installing the anniversary update? And if I am able to avoid installing it, doesn't that mean I won't be able to get ANY future Windows updates, or how does that work?
    When my pc forced the anniversary update i had several problems that made ,specially gaming, a nightmare.

I reverted back to a older version of W10 and instead of letting my pc download the anniversary update i did it manually from the Microsoft website. Doing it like that also instantly gave me the newest patch with all the bug fixes, since i noticed the initial anniversary update does not include those yet. After install it should have triggered the next update buy somehow my computer did not do that. Downloading it manually fixed every single problem i had with it and is now working as good as the other W10 versions

Quote Originally Posted by Raleina View Post
    When my pc forced the anniversary update i had several problems that made ,specially gaming, a nightmare.

I reverted back to a older version of W10 and instead of letting my pc download the anniversary update i did it manually from the Microsoft website. Doing it like that also instantly gave me the newest patch with all the bug fixes, since i noticed the initial anniversary update does not include those yet. After install it should have triggered the next update buy somehow my computer did not do that. Downloading it manually fixed every single problem i had with it and is now working as good as the other W10 versions
    Well, my PC died this morning. At aprox 7 AM it shut down and now attempting to boot it up results in fans spinning for a second or two then restarting and entering basically a loop of that occurring. I've disconnected everything except the PSU/CPU/MOBO and I'm having the same problem. I'll be borrowing a PSU either today or tomorrow to pop it in and see if my PSU died. If that isn't the issue then I'm guessing the MOBO took a shit. So as it turns out it may not have been the update at all, just degredation of my 3 year old PSU.