Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

does anyone else feel like arenas became all about doing dps and not about setup?

everytime i lose i try to think what i could do better and i come to conclusion i should've done more dps
    thats only thing that wins games it seems

anyone else feel this way?

That might be true if your only strategy is to go full mongo on the enemy healer but it's all about setups if you're playing arena at a higher rating.

Quote Originally Posted by goriander View Post
    That might be true if your only strategy is to go full mongo on the enemy healer but it's all about setups if you're playing arena at a higher rating.
    im hovering at 2k-2.1k playing Frost DK usually i play with DHs and ferals sometimes warriors
    we only lose to other mongos when they outdps us with better rotations or lucky crit chains
    dont really see how we can setup a kill other than dishing out massive dmgs

Deleted
    Unless you're healing that's pretty much what it comes down to

"I could've avoided CC... So I can do more damage"
    "I could've had better positioning.. So I can do more damage"
    "I should fake cast more... So I can do more damage"

Damage = pressure, you can counter someone elses pressure by putting out more yourself, if you can stop CC on your healer - for example kicking a clone after your healer gets bashed - you can counter pressure.

Generally the meta this season is do damage, lots of damage, many of the damages and don't die. Doesn't change at higher ratings as Blizzcon was very clear in showing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    im hovering at 2k-2.1k playing Frost DK usually i play with DHs and ferals sometimes warriors
    we only lose to other mongos when they outdps us with better rotations or lucky crit chains
    Grip into 3 man stun->swap to healer->get two kicks and silence on the healer=win.

Quote Originally Posted by goriander View Post
    Grip into 3 man stun->swap to healer->get two kicks and silence on the healer=win.
    yeah thats how games usually go unless enemy team does it faster to our healer

everytime i lose i try to think what i could do better and i come to conclusion i should've done more dps
    thats only thing that wins games it seems

anyone else feel this way?
    You don't ever think maybe you should have started just a tad slower to build RP, or maybe your could have used AMS a little smarter (too early/too late) or you didn't time your healing correctly? Arena is about the DPS..... it is arena where your objective is to kill people. Just so happens you are playing a class/spec that doesn't have mobility or utility so yes, your main focus is dmg and not much else. Unless you have a utility class or you heal your main focus is playing smart so you can pump out dmg.

Gosh, Bearilla, you are typical tunnel vision melee player. In arenas objective is to kill so its a dps race. This game was at incredible spot in tbc, even tho some stuf were retarded, the dmg vs cc was in a better spot. Since wotlk, and the addition of dk's pvp went to shit. Melee's tunnel visioning and pveing one target isnt something spectacular, nor should be rewarding. Quite pathetic some1 can come up with that kind of mindset and actually believe it being somewhat logical.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYq9v...layer_embedded -Vimpe (Tot)ally Fails 2 - Trailer VIMPE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Janke View Post
    Gosh, Bearilla, you are typical tunnel vision melee player. In arenas objective is to kill so its a dps race. This game was at incredible spot in tbc, even tho some stuf were retarded, the dmg vs cc was in a better spot. Since wotlk, and the addition of dk's pvp went to shit. Melee's tunnel visioning and pveing one target isnt something spectacular, nor should be rewarding. Quite pathetic some1 can come up with that kind of mindset and actually believe it being somewhat logical.
    So people should not be trying to do the most dmg they can? IT IS DMG THAT KILLS THE ENEMY! You have to control healer or out dps his heals. Seems pretty logical to me. If you want more strat then maybe try some RBGs that require 10 man coordination. You say that melee tunneling is the cause of this but what else is melee supposed to do. That is like playing a shooter and saying short range guns make the game shit because you like to snipe.

Seems to me that as soon as casters (locks especially) are not able to 1 shot or 1v3 melee they think everything is broken. News flash, DK's are slow..... keeping your distance should be your strat. They only have 2 def cd's which you can still kill through. They have to be close to you to self heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Same old shit that it's always been - DKs and other 3-button mongo specs that have complained about well-played casters (warlocks especially) that whip their asses and don't need to be OP.

With ranged it's not just about dmg it's also CC, dispels/kicks, kiting/positioning which takes more effort than simply facesmashing melee dmg. Unfortunately though that's the meta atm.

Deleted
    you play a comp that does not require skill

you shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bearilla View Post
    So people should not be trying to do the most dmg they can? IT IS DMG THAT KILLS THE ENEMY! You have to control healer or out dps his heals. Seems pretty logical to me. If you want more strat then maybe try some RBGs that require 10 man coordination. You say that melee tunneling is the cause of this but what else is melee supposed to do. That is like playing a shooter and saying short range guns make the game shit because you like to snipe.

Seems to me that as soon as casters (locks especially) are not able to 1 shot or 1v3 melee they think everything is broken. News flash, DK's are slow..... keeping your distance should be your strat. They only have 2 def cd's which you can still kill through. They have to be close to you to self heal.
    dude, melees (except rogues, because guess what they rely on cc and coordination) require no skill to play

pveing a target and using your instant cast stuns that require no setup is not complex or skillful whatsoever

with that in mind it begs the question, why are low skillcap classes/comps dominating? how is it fair?

the current pvp is terrible, healers that can't outheal mongo train dps and said mongo train dps killing people without thought or any kind of coordination and skill, healers need to be greatly buffed so that nobody dies unless that god damn healer is cced and healers shouldn't just roll over when 2 melee mongos stun and switch on them

melee cleaves should not be viable comps at all, they are inherently brainless, range/melee/heal or range/range/heal should be the only viable comps, I know it sounds unfair but it really isn't, in pvp SKILL should decide the games, melee cleaves do not require skill

the only alternative is to make melees harder to play
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-11-14 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post

- - - Updated - - -

dude, melees (except rogues, because guess what they rely on cc and coordination) require no skill to play

pveing a target and using your instant cast stuns that require no setup is not complex or skillful whatsoever

with that in mind it begs the question, why are low skillcap classes/comps dominating? how is it fair?

the current pvp is terrible, healers that can't outheal mongo train dps and said mongo train dps killing people without thought or any kind of coordination and skill, healers need to be greatly buffed so that nobody dies unless that god damn healer is cced and healers shouldn't just roll over when 2 melee mongos stun and switch on them

melee cleaves should not be viable comps at all, they are inherently brainless, range/melee/heal or range/range/heal should be the only viable comps, I know it sounds unfair but it really isn't, in pvp SKILL should decide the games, melee cleaves do not require skill

HA! So no melee is viable. It would be ranged>melee in every scenario with that logic. Good thing you are not in charge of this stuff at bliz.

Just because you feel melee takes no skill to play does not mean it should be made to be shitty and whoever wants to pvp better roll ranged. Stop being a bunch of whiners and learn how to counter melee. I have played against plenty of ranged that I have a hard time staying on. If you can't counter a FDK (slowest class in the game btw) then you are doing something wrong. Just because you can't sit in one spot and tank his dmg doesn't mean there is anything wrong. Means you are dumb for sitting there and thinking you can tank his dmg.

Get real.

No it wouldnt mean ranged>melee. Give Melee other type of of things to do. Warriors had 50% mortal wound and that worked just fine in tbc pvp. They had their things in reflecting and swapping stances. There were something behind the tunnel visioning. If you as FDK dont have 95% uptime on ur main target atm, then you are doing something wrong, or your whole arena team is missing the point. FDK takes zero skill, dont even try to defend yourself, its total garbage of a spec, you literally roll your face over keyboard and do crazy shit dmg. That isnt pvp, that is competition in destroying your keyboard... Not even apm is required...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYq9v...layer_embedded -Vimpe (Tot)ally Fails 2 - Trailer VIMPE!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Playing ranged or melee doesn't matter both can be somewhat challenging, though I do think casters/healers have the highest skillcap.

The problem right now is the ridiculous uptime melee's have, especially stuff like WW. On top of that their ToD, SotW and FoF hits for a shit ton. And you can't interrupt that like you would on a caster, if you're out of cc you die. Disarms are sorta back in the game but I only think WW and rogue has it and I never see it being used so it's probably no good compared to the other talents.

Melee's always make it sound like casters have it easy, thinking they have constant uptime. It's just not true you always have to watch out for when you enemies interrupt cd's come off, when their burst is comming off cd because you better have not dr'd your fears/poly before that happens and your casts aren't instant so you better not cast into a warrior reflect or a dk anti magic shell, just a waste of a chaos bolt/glacial really. When a melee sits on top of a caster it basically is cc, as it should be to some extent but the removal over the years of disarms gap openers while not many of the gap closers have changed have put many of the ranged at a disadvantage.

And honestly fDK's is pretty much the most mongoloid of them all and everytime it's super strong like right now I shiver. fDK+WW is something so annoying to fight against (fDk's slows + WW mobility means at least one of them is 100% on target and if fDK reaches said target and they burst while their rdruid(something that actually needs to cast, clones the healer its gg.) I know it's not that easy but that's how it sometimes feels.

It's also the reason why I can't play a melee for too long, yeah its fun for a while but for me it gets borring real fast. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post

- - - Updated - - -

lol, this has to be a troll or you play a healer at 1600cr

Thats why i dont do arenas. no strategy. just 2 groups of people running to the middle of an area and seeing who they can nuke down first.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Same old shit that it's always been - DKs and other 3-button mongo specs that have complained about well-played casters (warlocks especially) that whip their asses and don't need to be OP.

With ranged it's not just about dmg it's also CC, dispels/kicks, kiting/positioning which takes more effort than simply facesmashing melee dmg. Unfortunately though that's the meta atm.
    Frost dk have about 8-9 rotational buttons fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Thats why i dont do arenas. no strategy. just 2 groups of people running to the middle of an area and seeing who they can nuke down first.
    Yeah, and to have guys like Bearilla thinking thats skill or fine, is absurd. You can do that in pve, and its less frustrating. There should be a way to outplay some1, to outsmart them. But no, its actually logical to only have dps wars in arena, cause its about killing in the arena. Honestly, I am sry to say this, and I expect a punishment from this forum moderators, but something is increasingly wrong with people and their logic. Its somewhat tragic...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    What a fucking Greek tragedy man, 9 buttons?!?!

Loool, the easiest spec warlocks every had for arena was sl/sl in tbc. It used more then 11, and it was the faceroll spec...

Deleted
    Like fuck does it, if you're including 30 second cds and 1 minute cds then some classes have 20 odd "rotational" buttons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    C'mon man, we all know Blizz has been changing WoW to the Special Olympics difficulty...and FDK is the poster child.