Why do I do no damage in PVP?

I will be there, spamming spells on my target and they're taking little to no damage. But when they attack me, I die within seconds. This isn't a case of them having healers on them, because there are times when the enemy is alone and my pyroblast is doing at most 50K damage..

Don't bother with fire. Fire, as you just described, does no damage in PvP. The only scenario where a fire mage may be useful is 3v3, due to control. But even then, I'm pretty sure frost is still better, dragon's breath is not enough of a reason to play fire. Play frost or reroll.

Deleted
    Fire mage has good sustained damage with ignite and decent cleave. Good cc and shimmer heal. Frost is all about that 10sec burst gap to get good glacial spike and a bit more cc due to pet nova.

In battlegrounds Frost is fun to burst flag carriers, healers. Fire is just good overall cleave damage when they pile up.

PS. Try running greater pyroblast in random bg's, is good fun. It's a long cast but with 2x shimmer you can kite melee whilst casting it. Seeing that huge Pyroball hurling at your target, crashing into them and burn your victim for 35% of their health bar. Is good fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it the same for arms warriors? I can kill people okay in BGs but when I look at the damage chart is obscenely low.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Is it the same for arms warriors? I can kill people okay in BGs but when I look at the damage chart is obscenely low.
    In battlegrounds warriors lack the padding many classes get. You can't just pop dots on everything that moves, or use things like starfall. Arms warrior's single target damage is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Then you do something wrong, the only thing we Arms Warrior have is damage. In BG you're gonna have a lot of fun as Arms, in arena you wont except if you have a good healer.

Deleted
    dont look at charts, those numbers are nearly useless. people that throw dots and ae around that do a bit damage to everybody will dominate damage done without doing as many kills as the charts would suggest because most of that damage will be countered by heals

if you play "usefull" and focus single important targets, apply pressure on healers etc. your chart damage wont be very good [because a) only single target damage and b) you will get kitet] but you actually contribute to winning the battleground

-> want to top damage done? throw ae damage&dots around
    -> want to get max kills? go for easy targets/low health people, try to "snipe" kills
    -> want to be usefull & win the battleground? go after important targets, focus them, forget about charts

Deleted
    Total dps doesn't mean anything, its generally an indication that you are not playing the objective and just rushing middle to zerg people (which works sometimes)

Killing blows are more relevant

Quote Originally Posted by sdw40k View Post
    dont look at charts, those numbers are nearly useless. people that throw dots and ae around that do a bit damage to everybody will dominate damage done without doing as many kills as the charts would suggest because most of that damage will be countered by heals

if you play "usefull" and focus single important targets, apply pressure on healers etc. your chart damage wont be very good [because a) only single target damage and b) you will get kitet] but you actually contribute to winning the battleground

-> want to top damage done? throw ae damage&dots around
    -> want to get max kills? go for easy targets/low health people, try to "snipe" kills
    -> want to be usefull & win the battleground? go after important targets, focus them, forget about charts
    This is so true.

Most often, going for objective will make your damage very low. Staying in base to defend, running flag, peeling for healers, none of that will contribute to damage charts.

It's infuriating when you are trying to win the BG and everyone else is just after topping charts. Of course my damage will be low, since I'll be constantly trying to score a few points for the team and dying a lot because the other team is trying to stop me, while the dumbasses will be in mid repeatedly hitting random things.

Deleted
    Going for objective doesn't Always reduce your overall damage output. Temple of Kotmogu for example increases your damage output if you focus objective. Same for offensive players in base cap bg's or capture the flag bg's.

Same with Elemnetal Shamans