Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sandy Hook families file state supreme court appeal in case against gun makers

These people need to just stop.

(CNN)The families of nine victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre -- who filed suit against gun makers and recently lost their bid to take the case to trial -- are now asking Connecticut's Supreme Court to hear their appeal.

In October, Connecticut superior court judge Barbara Bellis ruled in favor of Remington -- the gun manufacturer of the Bushmaster AR-15, used by 20-year-old Adam Lanza to kill 20 children and six educators -- by granting their motion to strike the case. Previously, Bellis had allowed the discovery phase to proceed and had even assigned a tentative trial date for 2018.

In their appeal, attorneys for the families describe the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School as "a singular event in Connecticut history" that was carried out by a man with a weapon "designed for our armed forces and engineered to deliver maximum carnage." They argue Remington is responsible since the company "chose to sell a weapon of war and aggressively market its assaultive capabilities."
    "It is only appropriate that Connecticut's highest court decide whether these families have the right to proceed."
    In her October order in favor of Remington, Bellis ruled that gun makers are immune by the provisions set forth in a federal statute known as the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. That law, signed by President George W. Bush in 2005, has since prohibited lawsuits against gun manufacturers and distributors if their firearms are used in a criminal act.
    "If you were starting over again to create the safest environment for our society you would not write this law," said Ian Hockley, whose 6-year-old son Dylan was killed in the mass shooting. "It is unnatural in the level of protection it gives the gun industry. Instead you would create roles ensuring that such weapons are entrusted to responsible citizens who comply with sensible laws about the training required to own one and their safe storage and usage."
    The Sandy Hook families had sought an exemption to the law through a claim of "negligent entrustment," arguing the companies knowingly marketed and sold the AR-15 to a particularly vulnerable group of young men.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/health...urt/index.html
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but the families are complete idiots.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a safe state of affairs. Even after so many young kids were viciously murdered, still no meaningful action?

Deleted
    Gotta try to get that sweet sweet corporate money

Wouldn't be the first time in history something completely unrelated won a case. But it is dumb, like really dumb.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2016-11-15 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    What's next? Sueing car manufacturers for not building cars like tanks, resulting in peoples' deaths?

Sounds reasonable right?

Deleted
    i hope trump acts like a true totalitarianist emperor and takes your weapons away , its time for conceratism in america to change and became more respectful of leadership and the law

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just go the whole hog and also sue the mining company that extracted the metal used to make the weapons, the driver that delivered the products to the gun shop and then the gun shop itself for selling the weapon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not gonna work with this set of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What a safe state of affairs. Even after so many young kids were viciously murdered, still no meaningful action?
    Yes, let's show our outrage by suing and lashing out at people who had nothing to do with the massacre.

How about we sue knife makers every time someone stabs someone else? Or chemical companies every time an innocent kid accidentally (or intentionally) drinks chlorine or bleach or some other toxic but common household product? Let's throw auto makers in jail for hit and runs!

This is what happens when you act based on passions and emotion instead of logic. You do incredibly stupid things.

15+ Year Old Account
    I stubbed my toe againt my couch, gon sue em for not making the couches with soft padding all around it.
    I spilled water on my laptop and not its ruined, gon sue water company for giving me un-safe water.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    I stubbed my toe againt my couch, gon sue em for not making the couches with soft padding all around it.
    I spilled water on my laptop and not its ruined, gon sue water company for giving me un-safe water.
    and the laptop manufacturer for not making the laptop 100% water proof.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What's next? Sueing car manufacturers for not building cars like tanks, resulting in peoples' deaths?

Sounds reasonable right?
    If that means I can ride a tank...sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I'm sorry, but the families are complete idiots.
    I optomistic that most citizens think the same.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

They sure crammed a lot of buzzwords into their statement.

"Aggressively market it's assaultive capabilities". Gotta get assault in their somehow.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Should we sue the plane manufacturers for 9/11?

I got news for you

Reals > Feels

It's terrible that 27 innocent people died and Adam Lanza got away by killing himself, but he never bought the gun, as far as the gun manufacturers knew, it would only be in his mother's hands, who was a responsible, mentally stable American citizen, with a right to bear arms. However, her mistake of leaving her firearms in Adam's access was her fault, nobody else's.

There could have been meaningful action if, y'know, the criminal and the person who (inadvertently) gave him access to firearms weren't dead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    You should sue your parents for not mutating you and giving you toes of steel.
    Last edited by Putin-Chan; 2016-11-16 at 04:06 AM.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

It's a basic legal premise of the civilized world -- people aren't liable for the criminal or tortious acts of independent 3rd party actors.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they aren't hoping to win but merely looking to make a statement.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I hope they aren't hoping to win but merely looking to make a statement.
    The statement this family is trying to make is stupid and misguided. This is coming from someone that also thinks the 2A is stupid as well.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Next we should sue Boeing because a 767 took down the Word Trade Center

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    The statement this family is trying to make is stupid and misguided. This is coming from someone that also thinks the 2A is stupid as well.
    I'm just speculating as to why. Perhaps they want some sort of evidence bring forth against the manufacturers to be part of official court records? All I can think of because they probably won't win and we don't want 3rd parties to have to worry about such things. Then again Congress made it so that you could sue countries so..

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully the families have to pay the gun company's lawyers fee's after this nuisance lawsuit is won