PVP gearing: one more step back

From the Nov 15 notes:

"
    End-of-match rewards from Rated Arenas and Rated Battlegrounds now get increased item level based on your current rating in that bracket, instead of your current item level.

Developers’ Notes: While the Weekly Quests for each bracket were giving rewards based on rating, the rewards given at the conclusion of a Rated Arena or Rated Battleground weren’t aligned with the challenge involved in earning a high rating. This change makes winning high-rated Arena or Rated Battleground matches more analogous to running repeated high-level Mythic Keystone dungeons.
    "

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20303039

In other words, they didn't implement it like they said they will earlier - wins didn't give you gear based on your rating, a win would always move you forward a bit even if your gear was higher than what would drop from your rating. Now that's changed, a win only gives you gear commensurate for the rating.

It is ironic that they view it as a plus - this only benefits former glads / boosted guys who are climbing the ladder hard, they get better gear than before. All other PVPers - 90%+ of them - now get worse gear and can't alternate between PVE and PVP to advance (well, they can advance in PVE, but the gear they get from PVP quickly becomes useless).

I am glad they are spending time in the area, but I am left wondering how many more missteps they will take before ultimately getting back to how things were, because they were obviously and clearly better.

Pretty sure they are just saying they want to give you appropriate gear WHILST still climbing rating, not just at the end of the week for the highest rating. As long as they keep the stat template and gear only increases the tiny % via ilvl I don't really give a shit where gear comes from. It makes basically zero difference other than consistency.