Thread: hot consoles

10+ Year Old Account

hot consoles

i just bought ps4 D chassis and its my first console of the last 2 generations (last one i had was ps2). i know its normal that they get quite hot.

but im curious where do u keep your consoles, or maybe what do u put them on to reduce temperature ? im a long time pc player and its worrying to me it so hot.

I put my consoles out in the open where it is surrounded by air on all sides except the floor it's laid upon. If it starts getting out, I turn point the fan in the room at it.

I put my consoles in the Staten Island landfill, where they belong. PC Master Race!

Actually I have a death trap of a setup for most of my electronics.

There's the cable box to my TV (now THAT gets hot), my PS3 on top of it, my PS4 next to it, the router next to those, all plugged into the outlet that's also for the TV, and my smaller electronics (iPad, Kindle, iPhone 5s I use for music, my smart watch).

This all sits on, like, the wood shelving that my den is made of?

I feel like there's enough space for everything where I don't worry about them getting overheated. Not in the winter at least, in the summer on really hot days I may worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    is there some optimal time limit for playing games not to get the console overheated and damaged ?
    on pc im used to playing all day everday

general console tips appreciated

I don't think people can put numerical suggestions into general a
    As such advice would not be taking into account any specific conditions, such as ambient temperate, the minimum amount of distance, the amount of dust or pet hair etc in the environment.
    And that would likely vary from one to the next, even potentially some of the same console running hotter than others.

A subjectively good amount of space around it, attempts to minimise the amount of dust or pet hair that could clog it.
    Not unlike a PC I suppose.

We had some success clearing out dust from nephew's Xbox 360 with an air duster can, though that was only done due to a visual build up on the outside, not having any notable effect on performance or temperature of it as those weren't a noticeable issue.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-11-16 at 09:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    is there some optimal time limit for playing games not to get the console overheated and damaged ?
    on pc im used to playing all day everday

general console tips appreciated
    Play it as much as you wish. On my OG Ps4 I have chocked in over 12 hours in one setting many times.

Only thing I can recommend is having some room around your system so it can breath. Both the Ps4 and Ps4 Pro run quite cool for as compact as they are. They do get warm but its normal.

I got my systems in a small entertainment system but I leave space around them open so they can breath.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I put my consoles in the Staten Island landfill, where they belong. PC Master Race!

Actually I have a death trap of a setup for most of my electronics.

There's the cable box to my TV (now THAT gets hot), my PS3 on top of it, my PS4 next to it, the router next to those, all plugged into the outlet that's also for the TV, and my smaller electronics (iPad, Kindle, iPhone 5s I use for music, my smart watch).

This all sits on, like, the wood shelving that my den is made of?

I feel like there's enough space for everything where I don't worry about them getting overheated. Not in the winter at least, in the summer on really hot days I may worry.
    eww you use an isp provided router?

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to put my PS3 on a laptop cooling pad before it became a footrest, only cost ~£20 and stopped it from turning hydrogen into helium after an hour or two of use.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    guys, this may sound silly but last night i had no idea how to turn ps4 off. i have chassis D if its any different than previous ones.

i tried clicking multiple times and holding the power button and only the latter one worked, but it only put the console into the rest mode. power button was still lit and i didnt know what to do so i just unplugged the console from eletric socket. please explain to me how its done properly.

also exiting games

thanks in advance

guys, this may sound silly but last night i had no idea how to turn ps4 off. i have chassis D if its any different than previous ones.

i tried clicking multiple times and holding the power button and only the latter one worked, but it only put the console into the rest mode. power button was still lit and i didnt know what to do so i just unplugged the console from eletric socket. please explain to me how its done properly.

also exiting games

thanks in advance
    doesnt it work the same as xbox? hold the ps button on controller and select power off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I know this may sound silly, but there are these things called manuals that explain the functionality of products you purchase...
    mine came with 4 languages and no native nor even english. how about that.

mine came with 4 languages and no native nor even english. how about that.
    Hold the button in on the controller for 5sec, go to power and there ya go.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    eww you use an isp provided router?
    Yeah. I only moved to this house I'm in like 1.5 years ago, before which I had shitty regular Verizon (not Fios) so I didn't need a special router. I'm paying $10 a month to rent this one.

If you recommend me a good router to buy that has a 2.4 and 5 GHz network then let me know. (Also the firmware needs to be able to forward ports so I can continue using a VPN.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Yeah. I only moved to this house I'm in like 1.5 years ago, before which I had shitty regular Verizon (not Fios) so I didn't need a special router. I'm paying $10 a month to rent this one.

If you recommend me a good router to buy that has a 2.4 and 5 GHz network then let me know. (Also the firmware needs to be able to forward ports so I can continue using a VPN.)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-174-_-Product

any one of those models works great.

10+ Year Old Account
    i just bought ps4 D chassis and its my first console of the last 2 generations (last one i had was ps2). i know its normal that they get quite hot.

but im curious where do u keep your consoles, or maybe what do u put them on to reduce temperature ? im a long time pc player and its worrying to me it so hot.
    Apply the same theory as with your PC case (assuming you did 8-) ). Let it have airflow; cold comes in on one end, warm goes out the other.
    If you put your console inside a cabin or shelf with a closed back the heat will accumulate and the thing will get warm/hot.

Simply place it out in the open and it'll still get warm, but shouldn't get as hot as when placed in said cabin/shelf.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”