Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Skittering A Lame Affix?

I hate this Affix so much, mostly because it sucks for a Warrior Tank, but even beyond just my personal preference, I feel that it's a very lousy affix period. All it really does it make the experience less fun, tanks have to frantically grab aggro, and DPS just holds off for a few seconds normally, and try to focus the Tanks target. It's nearly a non issue on bosses though since the tank can just spam taunt.

My point is I feel every other affix adds a bit of flare that changes up how you need to approach a dungeon.

Necrotic means the tank has to kite and be careful chain pulling.
    Bolstering means DPS has to split damage evenly as AoE can bolster a mob, you also can barely chain pull.
    Teeming adds more mobs and depending on the affix and pack you have to approach it a totally different way.
    Sanguine means people need to be aware of where they stand, and the tank has to move mobs out of the pool so they don't heal.
    Overflow means healers need to be wary of overhealing.
    Volcanic keeps you on your toes as tunneling can get you incinerated.
    Raging encourages stun rotations and kiting.

Sure even if a DPS pulls one mob off the tank it's not like in TBC where they'll get 1 shot and if DPS is high enough it's no big deal.

I've never done a high level Skittering Mythic but at the lower levels of the the affix it's quite lame yeah.

| Mage | Rogue |
    - Barthilas-US -

Deleted
    At higher levels it is actually hell when running with melee dps. Big trash group, taunt on cd, the 1 second until you can do any ability to get back aggro is sometimes enough for a melee to drop dangerously low or even die.. I absolutely agree with Matthias on this.

Skittish and Raging are the most poorly designed affixes imo. Even holding off for a few seconds, some dps will rip aggro no matter how good the tank is. Like, how is any tank supposed to keep aggro off a class that can go from 0-8 million dps on a 9 mob pull in 1-2 GCDs? I'm a paladin that goes hard in the paint with Seraphim and strength flasks. With good RNG I can sustain over a million dps on 3 targets, and a good DH can still rip off me.

If I can do that and still lose aggro, how the fuck is ANY warrior tank supposed to handle this affix?

Good affixes are ones that have counter play imo. Skittish should punish you when the dps don't wait a sec or two, or when tanks go with low dps setups. When I'm using a strength flask, prepotting every pull, with Seraphim and double dps trinkets, I expect to not lose aggro to similarly geared dps. Likewise, I don't think it's unreasonable for a warrior going to similar lengths to want to keep aggro.

It's the same problem I have with raging, lack of counter play. Some mobs cannot be CC'd, and these ones usually have some kind of massive AoE nuke that turns into a one shot mechanic on Fortified with Raging. The shadow bolt volley on the last mini boss in CoS comes to mind. There needs to be more counter play than, "pop an immunity" for when that bastard launches a 6 million damage nuke. But it goes through fucking walls, and even a strong personal is not enough to survive damage of that level even if you're topped beforehand. I remember one times, I was doing a 10 CoS, Fortified and Raging, and that mini boss one shot our WW monk. He was topped off and he used Touch of Karma for the Raging volley, but it still one shotted him with like 500k overkill. Shit like that is the worst part of mythic+ imo.

Bursting looks like it will be the same way, depending on if everything triggers it. Like imps in CoS; good luck doing those with Bursting and Fortified. Fortified compels you to burst them before they can get a cast off, or else people will get on shotted. Bursting compels you to kill them 1-3 at a time, with 4 seconds between kills. That's a catch 22, and for most groups the best way to handle that will be to just kill the fucking imps and die quickly. Just accept that Bursting means you start the dungeon with -50 seconds due to the two imp packs.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2016-11-17 at 12:05 PM.

Isn't not going full on aoe, and focusing the tank's target instead kind of a counterplay to skittish?

was doing m10 or 11 with it and had 2 melee dps, man that was hilarious when they would randomly get instagib on some mobs just bring ranged or melee with heavy lockdown. with our group we usually had each pack drop aggro only once, so if you have longer kill times i can see this being a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Skittish and Raging are the most poorly designed affixes imo. Even holding off for a few seconds, some dps will rip aggro no matter how good the tank is. Like, how is any tank supposed to keep aggro off a class that can go from 0-8 million dps on a 9 mob pull in 1-2 GCDs? I'm a paladin that goes hard in the pain with Seraphim and strength flasks. With good RNG I can sustain over a million dps on 3 targets, and a good DH can still rip off me.

If I can do that and still lose aggro, how the fuck is ANY warrior tank supposed to handle this affix?

Good affixes are ones that have counter play imo. Skittish should punish you when the dps don't wait a sec or two, or when tanks go with low dps setups. When I'm using a strength flask, prepotting every pull, with Seraphim and double dps trinkets, I expect to not lose aggro to similarly geared dps. Likewise, I don't think it's unreasonable for a warrior going to similar lengths to want to keep aggro.

It's the same problem I have with raging, lack of counter play. Some mobs cannot be CC'd, and these ones usually have some kind of massive AoE nuke that turns into a one shot mechanic on Fortified with Raging. The shadow bolt volley on the last mini boss in CoS comes to mind. There needs to be more counter play than, "pop an immunity" for when that bastard launches a 6 million damage nuke. But it goes through fucking walls, and even a strong personal is not enough to survive damage of that level even if you're topped beforehand. I remember one times, I was doing a 10 CoS, Fortified and Raging, and that mini boss one shot our WW monk. He was topped off and he used Touch of Karma for the Raging volley, but it still one shotted him with like 500k overkill. Shit like that is the worst part of mythic+ imo.

Bursting looks like it will be the same way, depending on if everything triggers it. Like imps in CoS; good luck doing those with Bursting and Fortified. Fortified compels you to burst them before they can get a cast off, or else people will get on shotted. Bursting compels you to kill them 1-3 at a time, with 4 seconds between kills. That's a catch 22, and for most groups the best way to handle that will be to just kill the fucking imps and die quickly. Just accept that Bursting means you start the dungeon with -50 seconds due to the two imp packs.
    And what class can go from 0-8 million dps in seconds? Or even at all??

- - - Updated - - -

Skittish and Raging are the most poorly designed affixes imo. Even holding off for a few seconds, some dps will rip aggro no matter how good the tank is. Like, how is any tank supposed to keep aggro off a class that can go from 0-8 million dps on a 9 mob pull in 1-2 GCDs? I'm a paladin that goes hard in the pain with Seraphim and strength flasks. With good RNG I can sustain over a million dps on 3 targets, and a good DH can still rip off me.

Dude why you lying all the time? You ain't doing a million dps on 3 targets. Lol dude

Deleted
    I quite enjoy it. I missed the Threat Gameplay to an extent so having to deal with big packs of mobs (and really crazy high burst on bosses) threatwise is quite fun to me. I was always a quite high threat tank (because I had to with people with really good gear) so having to flex my threat-muscles is a nice addition.
    Is it particular hard? No, not really. And with mostly ranges (which PuGs seem to prefer. Having played with 2/3 Melee DPS I can understand why they want to keep it easier) the affix is really not that hard to deal with.

It's not funny when one mob loses his aggro and after taunting back, immediate another mob loses his aggro. It's not funny when all nameplates of a big trash pack get red

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Dude why you lying all the time? You ain't doing a million dps on 3 targets. Lol dude
    Um, I think you really underestimate how much 885+ geared players can do with BiS legendaries. DH, frost DK, fire mage, and BM hunter can all hit over 10 million dps with lust in an optimal AoE situation. Highest I've ever seen was Fragnance, a DH from Serenity, topping out at 14 million dps in Arcway when they pulled 3 groups together.

This is a random MoS clip I just made from one of Fragnance's vods. Literally the first one I looked at. https://clips.twitch.tv/fragnance/Hi...eckerBrokeBack

The hunter tops out at 9.72 million dps, and the pally tank tops out at 4.44 million. Granted, that is much more than a 9 mob pull, closer to 20 actually, but that's also losing all the on pull burst due to the time it takes to group things up.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2016-11-17 at 12:21 PM.

Um, I think you really underestimate how much 885+ geared players can do with BiS legendaries. DH, frost DK, fire mage, and BM hunter can all hit over 10 million dps with lust in an optimal AoE situation. Highest I've ever seen was Fragnance, a DH from Serenity, topping out at 14 million dps in Arcway when they pulled 3 groups together.

This is a random MoS clip I just made from one of Fragnance's vods. Literally the first one I looked at. https://clips.twitch.tv/fragnance/Hi...eckerBrokeBack

The hunter tops out at 9.72 million dps, and the pally tank tops out at 4.44 million. Granted, that is much more than a 9 mob pull, closer to 20 actually, but that's also losing all the on pull burst due to the time it takes to group things up.
    By that sentiment, content should be balanced around BiS players going 100% all out. And in content ment to be about agro management. That makes absolutely no sense man.

Hitting above 2 million is very rare, and should even be considered relevant for balancing.

By that sentiment, content should be balanced around BiS players going 100% all out. And in content ment to be about agro management. That makes absolutely no sense man.

Hitting above 2 million is very rare, and should even be considered relevant for balancing.
    Uh, to do anything above 12, you need that kind of dps. Mythic+ needs to work mechanically at all levels. Skittish has to be functional from 7 all the way up to 10,000.

Also, I'm not a liar.

Skittish and Raging are the most poorly designed affixes imo. Even holding off for a few seconds, some dps will rip aggro no matter how good the tank is. Like, how is any tank supposed to keep aggro off a class that can go from 0-8 million dps on a 9 mob pull in 1-2 GCDs? I'm a paladin that goes hard in the paint with Seraphim and strength flasks. With good RNG I can sustain over a million dps on 3 targets, and a good DH can still rip off me.
    First of all, a good DH would know better than to pop all their burst aoe within the first few GCDs unless the plan is to stun and nuke them before it's a problem. As the old saying goes, a dead DPS does no DPS.

Raging most definitely has counter play. Instead of screwing yourselves over and getting one shot, hold DPS at 35% like you would to handle raid mechanics and once the mini boss pops his volley proceed to burn him before he gets another cast. Just because you haven't thought of a way to counter it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Deleted
    Agreed. It feels like the only "counter" to Skittish is to only run with Hunters for their misdirection and feign death. I doubt I'll tank any +7 this week simply because this affix is so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonaar View Post
    First of all, a good DH would know better than to pop all their burst aoe within the first few GCDs unless the plan is to stun and nuke them before it's a problem. As the old saying goes, a dead DPS does no DPS.

Raging most definitely has counter play. Instead of screwing yourselves over and getting one shot, hold DPS at 35% like you would to handle raid mechanics and once the mini boss pops his volley proceed to burn him before he gets another cast. Just because you haven't thought of a way to counter it doesn't mean there isn't one.
    That's not good counter play though. If you have to sit there for 10 seconds, that's the same as having 2 people die. Viable counter play should not cost as much or more time than just eating the death. Which is the same problem I have with DHs being able to rip aggro so easily.

fire mages, demon hunters, possibly WW.

OT: Communication helps a lot - say which your main target is as dps so tanks know who to focus (or mark them). No need to stop aoe and just play around the aggro drops. Yes, there will be some deaths but its easier to deal with than many trash affixes (I say this as one of the burstiest melees)

@Laurcus there are other counterplays to raging, such as LoS on the felbound enforger in CoS - but timing your transition to be as easy as possible on a COUPLE mobs in an instance is not going to wreck your timer. You make it up elsewhere where the only action you do is stun chain mobs @ 30-0% while aoeing the living fuck out of them.
    Last edited by Raiju; 2016-11-17 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    I quite enjoy it. I missed the Threat Gameplay to an extent so having to deal with big packs of mobs (and really crazy high burst on bosses) threatwise is quite fun to me. I was always a quite high threat tank (because I had to with people with really good gear) so having to flex my threat-muscles is a nice addition.
    Is it particular hard? No, not really. And with mostly ranges (which PuGs seem to prefer. Having played with 2/3 Melee DPS I can understand why they want to keep it easier) the affix is really not that hard to deal with.
    so what you're saying is...skittish is blizzards answer to the "legacy server pl0x" question? Jokes aside, I agree with you. It gives me, as a tank, more to think about than just "kite cuz ow". I am concerned that with bolstering/skittish that runs will be rather slow this week as both affixes discourage chain pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    fire mages, demon hunters, possibly WW.

OT: Communication helps a lot - say which your main target is as dps so tanks know who to focus (or mark them). No need to stop aoe and just play around the aggro drops. Yes, there will be some deaths but its easier to deal with than many trash affixes (I say this as one of the burstiest melees)

@Laurcus there are other counterplays to raging, such as LoS on the felbound enforger in CoS - but timing your transition to be as easy as possible on a COUPLE mobs in an instance is not going to wreck your timer. You make it up elsewhere where the only action you do is stun chain mobs @ 30-0% while aoeing the living fuck out of them.
    I know about LoSing the Enforcers. I was specifically referring to Gerenth The Vile, the mini boss before Advisor Melandrus. Fyi, you cannot LoS his Shadow Bolt Volleys. Well, you couldn't pre 7.1 at least. I admit I haven't tried since then.

And I'm not saying it wrecks the timer. I'm just saying that it costs a similar amount of time to having a few deaths. That's kind of BS because the other affixes can be played around in a way that doesn't cost as much time as dying. Really, what is the difference between zeging Gerenth, having 2 dps die at the end because they don't have immunities or cheat deaths, and sitting there for 10 seconds? I guess you save some more personals for the boss, but anything that's 3 minutes or less should be up before you need it anyway.

I don't see the problem here. The ideas of the affixes are to make the dungeon HARD, not FUN. Overflow is a terrible terrible affix for healers. Skittish is terrible for tanks. Many other affixes are horrible for DPS as they need to adjust their playstyle accordingly.
    Last edited by Waltzinblack; 2016-11-17 at 02:41 PM.

Will be fun today on EU. We got Teeming, Skittish and Fortified. Aka the fuck you melee combo.

"Fists of Fury " - aggro dead. GG.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2016-11-17 at 02:44 PM.