Duterte offers to take in refugees

'They can always come here. I will welcome them until we are filled to the brim,' says the Philippine president, criticizing wealthy countries that have turned them away

President Rodrigo Duterte has offered to welcome to the Philippines refugees from around the world.

In an Al Jazeera report on Thursday, November 17, Duterte said his decision to take in refugees was triggered by the failure of western countries to help them.

There has been a 300% increase in the number of people displaced by force from their homes. It is estimated that 1.8 million people became refugees in 2015.

"I say send them to us. We will accept them. We will accept them all. They are human beings," Duterte said.

He added: "They can always come here. I will welcome them until we are filled to the brim."

He did not elaborate on how the Philippines would deal with the arrival of refugees.

Wealthiest nations 'do the least'

Duterte said western nations appeared to "be very accommodating on human rights [issues] but suddenly change course and say no" when it comes to welcoming people who are fleeing from conflict.

In an October report, Amnesty International said many of the world's wealthiest nations "host the fewest and do the least" for refugees.

The organization also said that the top 10 hosts for refugees are not the wealthiest countries. The top 4 hosts are Jordan (more than 2.7 million people), Turkey (more than 2.5 million), Pakistan (1.6 million), and Lebanon (more than 1.5 million).

Iran, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Chad round out the list.

"You stay there. We will build a wall [and put up] barbed wire. And now the hypocrite is there, staring at us eyeball to eyeball," the Philippine president said.

Duterte has received criticism from the United Nations, the European Union, and the United States over possible human rights violations in his ongoing war against drugs. (READ: Duterte requires 'public debate' with UN expert before probe – DFA)

More than 4,800 deaths have been tallied in the drug war – made up of deaths from police operations and deaths from vigilante-styled or extrajudicial killings – since Duterte began office on

http://www.rappler.com/nation/152764...es-philippines

Somehow I think that if he takes them in he will end up killing them when they don't behave. Maybe they would be more inclined to behaving there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Duterte putting Western countries to shame now. Didn't expect that one.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yet to see Islamic countries take refugees. Saudi Arabia could take them, AND it is almost right next door to Syria. But no, the West must take these backwards cunts.

Duterte is such a Good singer too.

But due to NO welfare support in $$$, unfortunately refugees do not want to go to the Phillippines.

Deleted
    It's no wonder there are so many people in Jordan, Turkey, Kenia etc.
    Because those countries are next to those of the immigrants

It seems pretty obvious to me that the reason so many of those nations like Jordan and Turkey take in so many refugees is because they are right next to the nations they are fleeing. Geography is always going to dictate that. I don't know why we make it a policy to transport refugees halfway around the world to nations with such vastly different cultures, languages and values. It seems like all the effort and resources spent trying to resettle them in Europe could be used more efficiently on providing aid to shelter them in places like Jordan until they can go back. As for Mr. Duterte, he'll personally shoot them in the head like a drug dealer the minute they prove to be unpopular back home. I don't know why he's so intent on sticking his finger in the west's eye every chance he gets, does he think that the future in the region lies with China or what?

Deleted
    I applaud his kindness. Send them all there at once.

Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    It seems pretty obvious to me that the reason so many of those nations like Jordan and Turkey take in so many refugees is because they are right next to the nations they are fleeing. Geography is always going to dictate that. I don't know why we make it a policy to transport refugees halfway around the world to nations with such vastly different cultures, languages and values. It seems like all the effort and resources spent trying to resettle them in Europe could be used more efficiently on providing aid to shelter them in places like Jordan until they can go back. As for Mr. Duterte, he'll personally shoot them in the head like a drug dealer the minute they prove to be unpopular back home. I don't know why he's so intent on sticking his finger in the west's eye every chance he gets, does he think that the future in the region lies with China or what?
    Geography isn't always going to dictate it. More people used to go to australia than going to south korea or japan and japan and south korea were closer than australia. I don't know what the situation is like today though.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well shit, fucking take them.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I like the part about the U.N. 1951 agreement... The U.N is a laughing stock, made Saudi Arabia Human Rights Council... Like, what?

Why the fuck can't Saudi Arabia take people that are part of their culture? Why must the Western countries take a group of people who time and time again refuse to integrate into other societies and demand those countries bow to them?

I support this fully!!!

Deleted
    Sorry to hear that