Thread: Dota or Lol?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Dota or Lol?

Hello all i want a advice to what moba i should play, i never play a mob before only mmorpgs, Is dota better than Lol?
    Why? Thanks

If you're new to the genre entirely, I would reccomend starting with LoL first. LoL has a much better on-boarding experience for new players than Dota does. If you complete LoL's tutorial at least other Moba's will be much less confusing for you. After that I would try them both out, and perhaps even Smite too, to find out which one you enjoy more. Strangers over the internet really can't decide your preferences for you .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    If you're new to the genre entirely, I would reccomend starting with LoL first. LoL has a much better on-boarding experience for new players than Dota does. If you complete LoL's tutorial at least other Moba's will be much less confusing for you. After that I would try them both out, and perhaps even Smite too, to find out which one you enjoy more. Strangers over the internet really can't decide your preferences for you .
    DotA actually has a pretty substantial tutorial, and is arguably easier to get into, considering you only need to relate to your chosen characters abilties, not masteries/runes aswell.

Also, all the heroes are free and the custom games are sick as shit.

Go DotA if you want to play a game with a massive roster where 90%+ of the heroes are viable, and the meta changes almost monthly.
    Go LoL if you want to play a game with a lower number of viable heroes and a more solid and defined meta.

When you ponder if you should pick between DOTA and all the other MOBAs on the market, ask yourself the following question:

Are you a real man?

Try out DOTA for the refined systems then stick around because you hate it.

You'll be better off playing HotS, especially if you are new to the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Izomov View Post
    DotA actually has a pretty substantial tutorial, and is arguably easier to get into, considering you only need to relate to your chosen characters abilties, not masteries/runes aswell.
    From what I recall, the LoL one was much more complete than Dotas. It gives you a good once over for the mechanics for most, if not all, of the map mechanics, where the Dota one teaches you less than half of what you need to know and sends you on your way. Not to mention the early itterations of the Dota tutorial were done poorly, Arcane Boots Sniper anyone?

I play Dota with some friends and we tend to add new players to our circle fairly often. The tutorial alone simply does not prepare them for what they need to know. Sure, it covers some of the basics, lets you play some bot matches with DK, Sniper and Rhasta, but you're still woefully unprepared for even some of the more basic skills you need. All anyone who completes it can do is move, attack and use abilities. They tend to have a much better grip on things after they've played the LoL tutorials too, especially when it comes to basic things like being in XP range, the value of towers and going back to base when they get low.

15+ Year Old Account
    Play Heroes of the Storm instead.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

7+ Year Old Account
    From what I recall, the LoL one was much more complete than Dotas. It gives you a good once over for the mechanics for most, if not all, of the map mechanics, where the Dota one teaches you less than half of what you need to know and sends you on your way. Not to mention the early itterations of the Dota tutorial were done poorly, Arcane Boots Sniper anyone?

I play Dota with some friends and we tend to add new players to our circle fairly often. The tutorial alone simply does not prepare them for what they need to know. Sure, it covers some of the basics, lets you play some bot matches with DK, Sniper and Rhasta, but you're still woefully unprepared for even some of the more basic skills you need. All anyone who completes it can do is move, attack and use abilities. They tend to have a much better grip on things after they've played the LoL tutorials too, especially when it comes to basic things like being in XP range, the value of towers and going back to base when they get low.
    The dota tutorial was redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    The dota tutorial was redone.
    I don't think people will let Valve forget the whole Arcanes Sniper incident, no matter how many times they redo the Tutorial :P

In the opinions of my mates Fiancee and my brothers boyfriend, all of whom have started playing Dota in the past 6-8 months or so, the LoL tutorial helped them understand what was happening in Dota more than the Dota tutorial did. As strange as that sounds.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think people will let Valve forget the whole Arcanes Sniper incident, no matter how many times they redo the Tutorial :P

In the opinions of my mates Fiancee and my brothers boyfriend, all of whom have started playing Dota in the past 6-8 months or so, the LoL tutorial helped them understand what was happening in Dota more than the Dota tutorial did. As strange as that sounds.
    Again, the dota tutorial was completely redone. It's nothing like the old one with DK and roleplay.

Neither, you'll just get mad and hate the game like every single person that plays them.

I'd suggest playing neither. MOBAs are just as all-consuming as WoW is. You'll be dragged in, torn apart, and 4000 hours later you'll take a step back, consider where you are, and just give up on doing anything else ever again.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

From my experience, un LoL it's easier to distinguish heroes from mobs. Dota is more fast paced.
    In both games you will suffer too much untill you get on par with experienced players. Maybe too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Again, the dota tutorial was completely redone. It's nothing like the old one with DK and roleplay.
    I know, it's still a very bare bones tutorial though. It takes you through a couple of the most basic of the basics, like how to move, attack and so on, then shoves you into some bot matches and lets you figure out the rest from there. It doesn't even follow it up with a more advanced tutorial that covers things like TP scrolls, jungle camps, active items or any of the million and one things completely new players to the genre need to learn.

The LoL one on the other hand explains far more. It covers picking your Champion, how to chat to other players and some of their pregame mechanics. Once actually in the game, it keeps giving you important information as it becomes relevent. You do something stupid like stand to close to a tower? It gives you a message telling you why thats a bad idea. You get low and it tells you to recall. You get another once over on the map objectives, such as the Dragon and the Baron. I won't claim that LoL has a great tutorial either, but it is a lot more comprehensive than the one Dota has at the moment.

7+ Year Old Account
    Start with hots, then stop playing the genre all together. trust me, its bad for your health being knee deep in that kind of toxicity.

Deleted
    I guess DotA got higher skillcap but LoL is more popular It's depends what you except from the gameplay. Popularity = bigger community

Standard dota ranked game is with 9 russians and me. I signed up english speaking only and west server, they don't give a damn. I still prefer dota over lol so badly. I guess you know what that means.

DOTA for sure its more fun with all the item builds u can do theres a pretty high skill cap with denying warding etc and it has a tutorial to help u learn to play the game and the graphics are amazing compared to league

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Propian View Post
    I guess DotA got higher skillcap but LoL is more popular It's depends what you except from the gameplay. Popularity = bigger community
    dota has quite a huge community and our reddit is very helpful toward new players. you can always find a game pretty quick and if u want you can play custom created games instead if thats what u want to do, not to mention watching tournament games is amazing we have really great casters that go well together and make the game informative on what the players are doing and why and hyping up fights that should be

LoL is just way better than Dota, in every way.

Deleted
    I used to play in DotA 1 when it was warcraft map , and I spent few years on this game It was amazing gameplay and I loved it I try also LoL and ... for me DotA wins but no doubt about that LoL is more popular and got bigger money , looks on torumanets , ESL etc. Try both but start from DotA it will be easier for you to change it to LoL than start LoL and change to DotA