Thread: Dota or Lol?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post
    Based on what? Even DOTA's map has more points of interest than League's; juke spots in LoL are replaced by lazy patches of grass, there are no runes of any kind to look out for, and not a tree to interact with.

You had me at "Valve designed DOTA". Defense of the Ancients was independently made using the WC3 map editor back in the early 2000s, and then further refined when a young programmer took the reins and renamed it to Dota Allstars. Today it is still being maintained by the anonymous developer known as Icefrog.

Go back to gen-ot.
    The POI's of the map don't detract from the focus being on heroes.

And DOTA2 is a Valve product, they had heavy influence in its shaping and it is vastly different than DOTA AllStars was.

(I still have the original Eul's version on my hard drive - games come a long way.)

Valve doesn't half ass their titles, ever, that's why they're so successful.

Valve fine tunes every part of it in order to go after the market they feel they can get, and with DOTA2 they were successful once again.

I get the feeling that by your harsh somewhat insulting tone you've become somehow offended by the fact I pointed out that DOTA2 is designed to be very easy for casual play.

I'm guessing that would make you one of the types of gamers who becomes angry when mature gamers point out the realities of deisng versus person "skillz", correct me if I'm wrong.

But you see I'm a fan not a fan boy, so I can like the game for what it is and not build it up into something that makes me feel better about myself for playing it.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    The POI's of the map don't detract from the focus being on heroes.
    You have yet to provide a single example or reason as to why DOTA's focus is on heroes (at least moreso than LoL's, which is a game that puts a lot of emphasis on the artwork and personality of its heroes).

And DOTA2 is a Valve product, they had heavy influence in its shaping and it is vastly different than DOTA AllStars was.
    No, DOTA2 is not vastly different from Dota Allstars, at least not up until the 7.0 redesigns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumpIsPresident View Post
    Depends on your play style and your orientation towards gaming in general.

DOTA2 is the "pub MOBA", it puts an emphasis on the strength of the hero itself.

League is the "pro MOBA player's MOBA", the emphasis is on the player's contribution.

Valve did an amazing job in going after the casual/pub market with DOTA.

That's why so many heroes snowball like crazy and why so many fight ending spells have basically no cooldown or defense when combined with OP items such as blink dagger.

If you want to be challenged then you play League, if you just want to mash buttons and enjoy the game you play DOTA.
    This is obviously a troll post or he have had some really strong magic mushrooms... No one should take this to heart. If anything, LoL is the game with emphasis on the hero. Dota 2 is a lot more complex than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Outplayedbymygrandma View Post
    Sorry, I forgot that noone playing LoL is older than 15.

- - - Updated - - -

Something like that. An easy way to learn Dota.
    Well past 15 and play league so there goes that bs

Anyways personally I've tried both,

Personally, I prefer league, maybe it's because I tried that one first. I find dota graphics diabolical, its a real sore on my eyes. I also didn't find it plays fluid or smoothly compared to league.

Leagues biggest let down is the community, 9/10 games you get salty players, abusive, racist the works. So if you haven't got a thick skin maybe avoid it. I can't say to much about the Dota community, each of the games I tried everyone refused to speak or answers questions, that was the quit point for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Well past 15 and play league so there goes that bs

Anyways personally I've tried both,

Personally, I prefer league, maybe it's because I tried that one first. I find dota graphics diabolical, its a real sore on my eyes. I also didn't find it plays fluid or smoothly compared to league.

Leagues biggest let down is the community, 9/10 games you get salty players, abusive, racist the works. So if you haven't got a thick skin maybe avoid it. I can't say to much about the Dota community, each of the games I tried everyone refused to speak or answers questions, that was the quit point for me.
    It's the exact same for the Dota community. It's poison... I think it's the same for all MOBA games.

Quote Originally Posted by Outplayedbymygrandma View Post
    This is obviously a troll post or he have had some really strong magic mushrooms... No one should take this to heart. If anything, LoL is the game with emphasis on the hero. Dota 2 is a lot more complex than that.
    I'm sorry if I offended your ego, not really, but DOTA2 is the pub's MOBA.

Its designed with overpowered heroes to be able to roam around farming kills because that's what the pub MOBA market want, that's the market Valve went after, that's the reality of DOTA2.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

7+ Year Old Account
    There seem to be a lot of misconceptions in this thread.

First of all, any post making blanket claims about one game being better in every way (without listing any specifics) should be ignore. Secondly, I have a suspicion that certain people making criticisms are not very high in MMR, thus their opinion shouldn't weigh as much.

The primary difference before you even enter a match is the business model. Dota 2 funds via cosmetic unlocks and tournaments. League funds with these, but also gates major aspects of gameplay behind either an in-game grind or your credit card. So, right off the bat Dota 2 offers all aspects of gameplay for free, whereas LoL restricts champions.

Within the games, there are many minor differences (such as turn rates and denying) but those aren't necessarily worth focusing on. The major differences with Dota and LoL gameplay involves complexity, depth and balance. An average LoL tournament will have a slight majority of its champions selected, whereas the most recent Dota tournaments had 95% and 99% of heroes picked/banned (TI6 and Boston Major). Dota 2 is an extremely well-balanced game. While some heroes shine more than others, there are very few heroes at any given time who are considered useless. There are very complex counters to each hero, which LoL tends to shy away from. LoL developers have openly come out and said several of the mechanics in Dota are "not fun," such as mana burn. However, the introduction of these extra game mechanics has resulted in a finely-tuned machine. So while LoL developers may look at things from a "fun" perspective, Dota tends to do that while making the game very complicated yet balanced.

So, if you want a game with a clearly superior business model, more complex and balanced gameplay, then you should definitely play Dota 2. However, keep in mind it will be a long journey learning everything. A deep understanding of Dota 2 can take thousands of games. League of Legends is, almost objectively, a simpler and more casual game. If you want a more casual experience, definitely play League of Legends.

Dota 2 is beter because if you dead lose some money.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I just started playing DOTA 2 and Yes I am a Noob.. any tips guys ?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderAxis8 View Post
    Hello all i want a advice to what moba i should play, i never play a mob before only mmorpgs, Is dota better than Lol?
    Why? Thanks
    Hots.....................

Deleted
    Since the new dota 2 update it's basicly the same, lol just has bushes you can hide in

Have both, played both plenty - League is ten times more entertaining for me, has that arcadey combat factor. It's like call of duty and battlefield back in the day, Battlefield is more in depth but COD was a faster paced, more exciting/entertaining shooter. I like both for different reasons but if i had to pick i would choose league everytime. Prefer the champions, combat style, items - pretty much everything overall.

Different things matter to different people, i don't care for vanity items, cash shop purchases etc. I actually prefer Leagues style of unlocking champions as opposed to having everything already unlocked. I haven't spent much at all on League, a very tiny amount - but I have played for years and unlocked almost everything.
    Last edited by xStevooo; 2017-02-20 at 05:54 PM.

DotA 2, there is no better competitive experience for a player that likes to be intellectually challenged.
    Quote Originally Posted by xStevooo View Post
    Have both, played both plenty - League is ten times more entertaining for me, has that arcadey combat factor. It's like call of duty and battlefield back in the day, Battlefield is more in depth but COD was a faster paced, more exciting/entertaining shooter. I like both for different reasons but if i had to pick i would choose league everytime. Prefer the champions, combat style, items - pretty much everything overall.
    So, you prefer League of Legends to DotA2 because of an FPS you used to play back in the day?

I'm... I'm afraid to ask, but did you read this post before you decided to make that opinion public?

Different things matter to different people, i don't care for vanity items, cash shop purchases etc. I actually prefer Leagues style of unlocking champions as opposed to having everything already unlocked. I haven't spent much at all on League, a very tiny amount - but I have played for years and unlocked almost everything.
    In DotA2, you unlock a more abstract form of mastery over the game and its heroes as you play. That knowledge is not spoon fed to you on a magical sparkling interface (as in, you are not filling a visible XP bar or accumulating gold) but you are still very much "unlocking" parts of the game by broadening your knowledge of the mechanics.

As was already pointed out earlier in the thread, the entire hero pool of DotA2 is viable at any given time, and each hero is inherently more complex to master up to a competitive level, so knowing the ins-and-outs of each and every single one of them is very much a way to give yourself more gameplay options.

Furthermore, you not caring about vanity items and cash shop purchases is actually a point against LoL, since that is that game's primary source of income - League is built around selling you hats, while DotA is more about selling you e-sport event tickets... which people do buy, because the original MOBA is inherently more thrilling to watch if you know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by BellicoseAxe View Post
    DotA 2, there is no better competitive experience for a player that likes to be intellectually challenged.

So, you prefer League of Legends to DotA2 because of an FPS you used to play back in the day?

I'm... I'm afraid to ask, but did you read this post before you decided to make that opinion public?

In DotA2, you unlock a more abstract form of mastery over the game and its heroes as you play. That knowledge is not spoon fed to you on a magical sparkling interface (as in, you are not filling a visible XP bar or accumulating gold) but you are still very much "unlocking" parts of the game by broadening your knowledge of the mechanics.

As was already pointed out earlier in the thread, the entire hero pool of DotA2 is viable at any given time, and each hero is inherently more complex to master up to a competitive level, so knowing the ins-and-outs of each and every single one of them is very much a way to give yourself more gameplay options.

Furthermore, you not caring about vanity items and cash shop purchases is actually a point against LoL, since that is that game's primary source of income - League is built around selling you hats, while DotA is more about selling you e-sport event tickets... which people do buy, because the original MOBA is inherently more thrilling to watch if you know what to look for.
    You missed the analogy in my post entirely (which i made blatantly obvious to see) - my comparison was, although Dota seems more detailed and in depth (Battlefield) i prefer the more action packed arcadey styled game that League offers (Call of Duty). Think again before making yourself look dumb.

I already know the progression of both games and the different methods of approach, like I said - I have both games. Just because vanity and micro-transactions are a large source of income for league doesn't mean that's my own personal attraction. You're entirely missing out on one's own personal opinion alongside the financial model. Although I have every champion unlocked i tend to play a small pool, not based around meta but my own personal taste. I prefer League in almost every aspect of the manner, doesn't mean i think Dota is bad - it's a very good game, but i would never pick it over league.
    Last edited by xStevooo; 2017-02-21 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderAxis8 View Post
    Hello all i want a advice to what moba i should play, i never play a mob before only mmorpgs, Is dota better than Lol?
    Why? Thanks
    Well, as long as you can deal with not talking to people both are fun. Kinda like the Hilary and Trump election, both are super toxic, but I'd say LoL isn't as bad as Dota since you can at least deceive yourself by watching LoL streams to think people might not be entirely cancerous there. With Dota it's just straight ex-CS PC master race neckbeards.

Go with the more popular one (LoL).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. When go to do look more like, you have to consider as decided the need to go want to look. If you merely decided as to think to half of that, you might as well go to a floor towards as the far. I can't believe you deny the use of further deciding to even want to do look more like, when the rest of us have decided to need a want. Go ahead, go want to do look more like further than a half. It gets you nowhere, I can tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Play Heroes of the Storm instead.
    Me too.

I am still waiting for the $5 from Blizzard for my last post.
    Did you get it?

Deleted
    This is really no question. Every person with atleast some self-respects chooses DotA over LoL. I don't mean no foul play, but when I see LoL players I feel like in a horror movie.

Deleted
    Both are free and very easy to get into, you should check them both out.

Deleted
    Getting up my post count. Also. Dota.