Yet Another DPS Help Request.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

I've only had this character(Orchon) at 110 for a couple of weeks, but despite the fact that I'm already 851 iLvl, I'm seeing maybe... 2/3rds of the DPS I should be putting out, if not less.

There's something in my rotation that I'm doing wrong, and it's hurting my DPS a lot. The other mage in this raid is only a few item levels above me, and yet is consistently outperforming me by massive amounts. Any help would be appreciated.

Well at a quick glance, one he/she is way ahead of you on artifact which is going to play a major role in your dps. Two the other mage has Sinew trinket which again is going to boost burst dps quite a bit. The other mage does appear to be using Sinew wrong, looking at the logs I see Maddening Whispers (Sinew) was cast 3 times and only crit once out of the 3 this means he/she is not using it during ROP and Combustion. Bad...

Your neck is not enchanted, your rings are not enchanted, and you have a couple of so, so trinkets. IMO the trinkets and your artifact are a big part of the problem. I am not great at reading the logs to see if you are using ROP and Combustion correctly or not.
    Last edited by Zuul; 2016-11-18 at 09:58 PM.

I was hoping I'd be able to get my own enchanting leveled out quickly enough on this character quickly enough to avoid having to buy them, but I got geared out more quickly than I'd thought.

And yeah, I'm working on my trinkets. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on Wriggling Sinew+ShockBaton/Spiked Tongue, but really it's about what falls in my lap first. I haven't had a chance to really get my gear fleshed out too well, yet.

Thanks for the response! At this point I'm taking any and all criticism. My DPS is unacceptably low.

I'm looking at the nyth fight. Your using your combustion and RoP together. That's good. They're a good 3 seconds apart though. Your pryoblasts are getting cut off from the RoP. The RoP should finish casting and then the combustion should happen at the same time. You didn't cast icefloes at all, it's a high movement fight. You cast icebarrier 5 times. You casts shimmer 9 times, and at a glance it looks like y our not casting while blinking. I think you need to try a bit harder, or get more xp. Spend some time on the target dummy. What's odd is your third combustion seems to be your best one, usually people get the opener down, and the other combustions arent' as good. might be a mentality thing? Looks like your floating 3 PF charges as well.

You really need enchants , I can't imagine your character sims higher then 230k dps. So when you combine this with not using pots, having not much experience, and generally just not trying to maintain max performance through things like icefloes, not casting icebarrier, shimmer , using PF charges etc. Things don't go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio88 View Post
    I'm looking at the nyth fight. Your using your combustion and RoP together. That's good. They're a good 3 seconds apart though. Your pryoblasts are getting cut off from the RoP. The RoP should finish casting and then the combustion should happen at the same time. You didn't cast icefloes at all, it's a high movement fight. You cast icebarrier 5 times. You casts shimmer 9 times, and at a glance it looks like y our not casting while blinking. I think you need to try a bit harder, or get more xp. Spend some time on the target dummy. What's odd is your third combustion seems to be your best one, usually people get the opener down, and the other combustions arent' as good. might be a mentality thing? Looks like your floating 3 PF charges as well.

You really need enchants , I can't imagine your character sims higher then 230k dps. So when you combine this with not using pots, having not much experience, and generally just not trying to maintain max performance through things like icefloes, not casting icebarrier, shimmer , using PF charges etc. Things don't go well.
    The opener is something I've been having a hard time with.

Typically what I do is fish for a heating up, and then cast RoP. Then I cast a fireball, and just before it launches I cast combustion to guarantee a crit on it, which instantly rolls me into a Hot Streak. Then I just finish it out with the regular FB-PB exchange.

However, running out of time on my Rune is consistently a problem.

So, if I do as you suggest, and fish for a heating up, cast rune, and then use combustion at the end of the rune cast, should I just fireblast for the hotstreak and just go from there?

Starter help

Quote Originally Posted by MashTactics View Post
    The opener is something I've been having a hard time with.

Typically what I do is fish for a heating up, and then cast RoP. Then I cast a fireball, and just before it launches I cast combustion to guarantee a crit on it, which instantly rolls me into a Hot Streak. Then I just finish it out with the regular FB-PB exchange.

However, running out of time on my Rune is consistently a problem.

So, if I do as you suggest, and fish for a heating up, cast rune, and then use combustion at the end of the rune cast, should I just fireblast for the hotstreak and just go from there?
    what i do for my opener is if you have sinew, 5 seconds before pull pre-pot, cast sinew, then hard cast pyro so that it goes off on the pull. then I use this macro for every combustion to get the most I can out of it

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=20 Rune of Power, Combustion, Phoenix's Flames, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Flame On, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Phoenix's Flames, Pyroblast, Phoenix's Flames, Pyroblast, Rune of Power

it isnt perfect, but it is what I use to get my dps a good ways up. Sometimes the macro will fail for some reason, but you just have to keep it keybound and keep hitting the key until the macro is finished and ROP is cast again. my talents are

conflagaration, Shimmer, Rune of Power, Flame On, Ice Floes, Living Bomb (depends on fight if nyth go unstable) and finally kindling

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckbob View Post
    what i do for my opener is if you have sinew, 5 seconds before pull pre-pot, cast sinew, then hard cast pyro so that it goes off on the pull. then I use this macro for every combustion to get the most I can out of it

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=20 Rune of Power, Combustion, Phoenix's Flames, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Flame On, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Phoenix's Flames, Pyroblast, Phoenix's Flames, Pyroblast, Rune of Power

it isnt perfect, but it is what I use to get my dps a good ways up. Sometimes the macro will fail for some reason, but you just have to keep it keybound and keep hitting the key until the macro is finished and ROP is cast again. my talents are

conflagaration, Shimmer, Rune of Power, Flame On, Ice Floes, Living Bomb (depends on fight if nyth go unstable) and finally kindling
    I like that opener, but I don't think I'll use it as a macro. Reason being, if that first Pyroblast crits, then the first Fireblast you use in that opener is wasted, since your PF is going to trigger Hot Streak. Otherwise, I think I'll use that.

I just didn't like the idea of using two crit-gen abilities for the first pyroblast, but I have a problem with sitting on three charges of PF, so that may be for the best anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by MashTactics View Post
    I like that opener, but I don't think I'll use it as a macro. Reason being, if that first Pyroblast crits, then the first Fireblast you use in that opener is wasted, since your PF is going to trigger Hot Streak. Otherwise, I think I'll use that.

I just didn't like the idea of using two crit-gen abilities for the first pyroblast, but I have a problem with sitting on three charges of PF, so that may be for the best anyways.
    i have the same problem of sitting on my phoenix's flames, but to me it doesnt really matter if it crits or not. i throw out the macro anyway. but if you wanted you could send a fireball out and if it crits then just hit the macro twice, throw the pyro in combust, then continue. if not then it will give you a pyroblast regardless. but it just takes a little bit of luck. Another reason i use two quick crit-gen abilities is so that i dont waste any time in combust casting. when you combust almost everything needs to be instant cast to get the most out of it.