Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I always thought married people died sooner.
    eh, my grandparents were married 70 years and died at 93 and 98. YMMV

anyways OP: Love is great, it just takes effort to find and a decent personality to not repel people. But Different poeple value different things. I value love a bunch myself.

I always thought married people died sooner.
    Here's one study. Loneliness kills.

Actually, I suspect this is mostly because of hard to control for, but related factors like neuroticism and general health. I'd bet healthy, low-neuroticism people are better at getting and staying married, rather than marriage itself extending life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Then pass the 100 million stack my way because I would give you my mom for that much.
    You wouldn't be able to recieve the 100 million, as you had no love to give up for it, no?

Sorry, I had to.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then pass the 100 million stack my way because I would give you my mom for that much.
    Is she hot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

Actually, I suspect this is mostly because of hard to control for, but related factors like neuroticism and general health. I'd bet healthy, low-neuroticism people are better at getting and staying married, rather than marriage itself extending life.
    Actually, that is true..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

It seems kind of intuitive for me that Single=Happier life for one reason and one reason only:

When you don't have to raise a family, you can put yourself at the forefront; nobody comes before your own wants.

Disregard love, become a wizard.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

It seems kind of intuitive for me that Single=Happier life for one reason and one reason only:

When you don't have to raise a family, you can put yourself at the forefront; nobody comes before your own wants.
    Except everyone sending you bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    If I was a wizard, having love would be easier. Stupid public transport cutting time out of my day.

Everything is overrated, such is the human nature. The egoistical need to feel being loved and have a "soulmate" is one of the greatest things said to be expereinced by us. Do not consider stupid and insignificant what is beyond your understanding at this point, instead, try to keep an open mind, to be able to experience in fullest, what this life has to offer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is she hot?
    No, she is not worth 100 million imo, but if you are willing to pay that much I am not going to complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone only cares about money, that's an even better reason to find a partner. Planning together and being able to balance out life's ups and downs is a hell of a lot easier than going it alone.
    Not really.

You have to care about the net worth of the person you are marrying, if your net worth is far higher, you need to propose a prenup which they might not be too comfortable with.

Then don't forget wedding cost, and most importantly, do they want children, which is likely to be the most expensive item you have in your lifetime without much real return. They used to be your pension, but nowadays not so much anymore.

There are some benefit though, you do get some tax breaks, double personal allowance (if any), transferable nil rate band for inheritance tax.

Even an article I read, say it does depends on personal circumstance whether it is financially better off married or not, so use your own judgement. Best is do a cost analysis yourself, weighting up the cost vs benefit, and decide for yourself.

In my case it was beneficial to be married (her net worth is higher than mine), while my income is higher than hers, so I can use her allowance and such.

Happy calculating.

The only downside to love is when some people try to claim it for themselves and put up "requirements" to be met in order for something to qualify as "love"...

Also, relevant:

Also relevant:

They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If I was a wizard, having love would be easier. Stupid public transport cutting time out of my day.
    Didn't Aladdin set the rules? You can't affect love with magic!!... At least not if you are a genie. <.<

Although I have never been in love, I personally believe that it is overrated, even true love. Holding up love as the single greatest thing, often seems like a poor persons way of ignoring the fact that they are poor and are going to struggle their entire lives. I am sure love feels great when things are going well, but all too often people forget that love causes a lot of pain when things are not going well. Love is even used to rationalize stupidity, denial of facts, and lack of informed-ness about worldly issues. For example, some couples take the "we don't need to worry about anything else as long as we love each other" stance. Such arguments are silly because worldly facts are going to affect people no matter how much they believe love will shield them. Personally, I care more about success, prestige, and achieving my goals in life than I do about finding love.

So do yourself a favor and stop chasing the magical, idealized version of love because it really is no different from all the other rocks on the ground. It has a shiny side and a stained side.
    You should fall in love and then come back and tell us if you think it is overrated or not.

You have have success, prestige and achieve goals while being in love. I finished graduate school with a 4.0 average all while being married.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Not really.

You have to care about the net worth of the person you are marrying, if your net worth is far higher, you need to propose a prenup which they might not be too comfortable with.

Then don't forget wedding cost, and most importantly, do they want children, which is likely to be the most expensive item you have in your lifetime without much real return. They used to be your pension, but nowadays not so much anymore.

There are some benefit though, you do get some tax breaks, double personal allowance (if any), transferable nil rate band for inheritance tax.

Even an article I read, say it does depends on personal circumstance whether it is financially better off married or not, so use your own judgement. Best is do a cost analysis yourself, weighting up the cost vs benefit, and decide for yourself.

In my case it was beneficial to be married (her net worth is higher than mine), while my income is higher than hers, so I can use her allowance and such.

Happy calculating.
    None of these factors are terribly relevant to me; it's theoretically possible that a prenup would become relevant at some point (seems unlikely), but my wedding cost was nearly zero and we don't want kids. Weighting the likelihood of divorce for our demographics, it's sufficiently unlikely that the added value is huge.

If I did want kids, that's not an expense that's associated with marriage, but with wanting kids. If you're going to have them, doing it out of wedlock is an awful idea all around.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    More like disregard love, focus on career and school, get a great high paying job, enjoy the fruits of massive financial freedom. If you get lonely, then their is always some young hot gold digger just begging to pretend to love you. Who cares is love is pretend, it feels the same anyways. Can anyone really tell the difference between real and fake love? Even if I know she only loves me for my money, it wouldn't bother me very much. If you get mad at something good just because it is fake, then you are taking away enjoyment from yourself.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-11-18 at 11:34 PM.

We don't have kids and don't want 'em.

I've never felt even the slightest bit put upon by thinking of my wife. She adds so much more positivity than anything I've ever had to think about. YMMV, of course.

Nothing can make you feel better nor hurt you more than love.