10+ Year Old Account

How F2P "friendly" is rift.

Haven't really played since the game first launched and was looking to get back into it a bit as a time killer (strictly F2P). Do you guys feel it's worth bothering with?
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

F2P upto 65. Expansion which I personally would avoid is B2P because it's launched with massive issues. At the start they had to disable a large portion of content, quests were not working, the 64 bit client was experiencing instability but now it is fixed supposedly and IA on a single server was causing the whole EU servers to crash. In basic terms the messiest expansion launch for any MMO ever.

Oh some of the best classes and specs are locked behind a paywall and if you want your earrings gear slot and Planewalker: Water you will either have to sit down and do an obnoxious grind or fork out real money. A lot of convenience perks are gated behind paying a sub as well such as being able to queue for specific dungeons and warfronts.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-20 at 01:17 PM.

Since 4.0, Rifts free to play model is closer to a free trial than a free to play game. You get some of the content, some of the souls and some of the classes. If you want the rest you need to pay up unfortunately.

If you're looking to just kill time it will do the trick, but there are better options out there.

Its not and its P2w.

Its free up to 65 tho so give it a try if u want and judge for yourself.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Since 4.0, Rifts free to play model is closer to a free trial than a free to play game. You get some of the content, some of the souls and some of the classes. If you want the rest you need to pay up unfortunately.

If you're looking to just kill time it will do the trick, but there are better options out there.
    Free to Play doesn't mean what most of the so-called games are actually offering.
    We used to call such games a demo or trial.
    They still are, only now they try to use the more palatable free to play description.

If you have to pay money for any functionality or playable content, then it isn't free to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Free to Play doesn't mean what most of the so-called games are actually offering.
    We used to call such games a demo or trial.
    They still are, only now they try to use the more palatable free to play description.

If you have to pay money for any functionality or playable content, then it isn't free to play.
    The expansion is buy to play. They sell raid gear on the store along with gear unlocks however the gear unlocks can be unlocked in game with an obnoxious grind. Didn't help their current expansion launched initially with half of the content disabled among other issues. The game is borderline pay to win but not there. Although some of the best specs are gated behind a paywall so decide what you want on that I guess. Basically Rift is a very freemium game.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-20 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Do you guys feel it's worth bothering with?
    You can play Rift for nothing all the way up to level 65, zones, quests, dungeons, raids etc, everything, all for free....they just launched an Expansion last Wednesday so to continue playing up to the new cap of level 70 you must buy this.

Otherwise you don't have to pay a single dime to experience the game up to level 65 fully, each calling, apart from Primalist which is a buy to play calling, has 8 out of 11 souls free, you can make very good soloing builds out of these 8 free souls, if you wanted to buy the other 3 souls, all they offer are unique souls that make Rift stand out from other MMOs.

Souls like making your traditional Mage into a tank, or a melee 'Battlemage, making Rogues and Warriors into Healers etc, there is nothing in these souls you can't do on other souls, want to be a Tank? roll Warrior, Cleric or Rogue, want to heal? roll a Cleric or Mage, yes Mages can also heal in Rift with the free souls.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by just downloading it and jumping back in, the fact that you once played it will go in your favor and you'll find a lot of goodies waiting for you when you log back in as a former player.

Like i said, you can level up to 65 for free, there's plenty of content there alone to keep you very busy, after that, you can decide if it's worth continuing and buying the Expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is RIFT:Starfall Prophecy worth it?

Right now, no. In a month? maybe.

Is it F2P friendly?
    absolutely not. game prior to level 66 is a glorified demo now.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    Haven't really played since the game first launched and was looking to get back into it a bit as a time killer (strictly F2P). Do you guys feel it's worth bothering with?
    Wait a month (or two).

There has been a 20% or so spike in server numbers, but honestly - it's a disaster at the moment from what I am hearing.
    The numbers are probably due to sponsoring old YouTubers to do promo videos and stepping up marketing - as well as false advertising - "game stability improved" is an outright dishonest statement. Most people have 64 bit disabled due to it crashing the game. That's just the game client. EU servers have crashed /or gone down what? 3 or 4 times for several hours at a time this weekend?

Maybe they fix PvP. Maybe the new PvE fortress sieges will be ok, but we have no way of knowing yet. Much content not included. Game is really buggy, unfinished, servers are unstable, unbalanced, under or over-tuned right now. Game launched with 1/2 content disabled, incomplete from what was promised on their starfall prophecy page - no raid, only 4 quest zones, not 5. Content was disabled, enabled and now disabled again. Load balancing is a running joke. Questing areas poorly designed.

If you're thinking you're going to be signing up a raid-type game, forget it. What's left of the raid community is going to probably quit in next few weeks.

Gear gated behind RNG has two problems - virtually impossible to scale/tune dungeons and content or too easy - you can bet the latter will be the choice eventually.

This is at best a "dimension designer" right now.

If you're new, and you want to raid, be competitive, you will need:

US$50 - Rift Essentials - it unlocks earrings that would take +/- 2 to 3 weeks to grind as well as some essential raiding souls and bags.
    US$40 - Starfall Prophecy - you need this to level from 65 to 70 and to be competitive in PvP - can't PvP without this as the level 70's have legendary abilities. Without the expansion, you won't have them.

Also, Patron is recommended for the first month for the 40% xp boost - US$15

Those DLC's above don't unlock everything - if you want ALL the souls, you will also need to by the Ascended Souls pack - another US$35 or so - not included in the essentials pack.

You should save your XP 160% vials from the cache/trove you get for level 65 to 67 or else you will struggle to level - do story quests for best XP. It's 105 million xp for level 65 to 66 and over 400 million XP from 69 to 70. Vials are about US$8 each if you buy them - You would (ideally) need one per level from 65 to 70. 63 to 65 is also just terrible for grind.

Instant Adventure, Onslaught mobs have all had XP nerfed. Questing is best way to level.

Making platinum is severely nerfed - for professions, choose ALL gathering - it's the only way to really make plat now and moving forward - especially if you're F2P. However, pre-level 66 mats will probably be worthless.

Planar fragment system - and especially implementation - may be one of the worst systems for gear improvement ever designed. It is also a huge plat sink (to drive you to the cash store to buy REX, no doubt)

Pre level 66 part of the game is just a demo/trial now.

The game is okay, but don't expect too many people to hang around with only 4 zones, 2 new 15 minute dungeons and a 30 minute rehashed one - that bugs out most of the time.

I expect quite a large exodus in next few weeks. The writing is on the wall for most of my guildies.

Starfall Prophecy content: Got several people in guild who have done every quest already in every zone and every dungeon. All content cleared - less than 16 hours play time.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-11-21 at 06:51 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Maybe they fix PvP
    And maybe today i see a flying Pig. They dont care for PvP anymore, i would even be suprised if they drop zhat stupi lvl 65 vs 70 system in the near future :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RunRed View Post
    And maybe today i see a flying Pig. They dont care for PvP anymore, i would even be suprised if they drop zhat stupi lvl 65 vs 70 system in the near future :P
    Did you see the new name the expansion is being dubbed?

RIFT: STAR FAIL PROPHECY
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-prophecy.html

Well thats disapointing, I hoped people had already named it Shardfall Prophecy. Starfail was my second choice though!

It is a VERY expensive P2W game.

If you enjoy questing (kill xxx, collect yyy), then go try it.

If you want to do heroic dungeons, you have a huge disadvantage.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-prophecy.html
    Surprised mods let that thread stay open on the forums with how trigger happy they are. I wouldn't wait for official reviews either. Half of them don't mean jack shit these days especially review sites like IGN.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-11-21 at 12:40 PM.