[Prot] Stormforged Spears

Anybody have any ideas on a good way to deal with these as a prot paladin on Odyn heroic? We got him low tonight but I consistently get annihilated by the spears in phase 3. Not really sure what to change or improve to make it work better.. my tank partner (druid) doesn't seem to have much of an issue with them when I'm actually alive.

Other than bubbling and BoP is there a consistent way to survive that doesn't involve popping almost everything?

Deleted
    You could use Ardent Defender to survive, stack up 2 charges of SoTR use them as soon as you get the spear and run as far as you can or just use big CDs (Guardian) or Externals (Painsup, Cocoon). All in all the ability is pretty insane. Probably best to get there with one or two battle rezzes up if the DPS is not enough to burst him in 4-5 spears. I mean even if you're topped of you're going to get oneshot if you run to the other side of the room without CDs up.
    I usually go like BoP->Ardent Defender->Bubble->SoTR (need to be topped)->External BoP (HPala,RPala)->Guardian/External->boss dead or something like that.

Honestly I think Pally has the best tools to deal with it. BoP > Kings > Divine > Ardent. You should be able to survive the first 4 in this way before needing externals at all.

Pally doesn't have the best tools given that druids can literally tank them in melee range. That said, I'd much rather be a paladin than a DK or DH for the spears.

We do have plenty, but it requires a bit of work. I personally ran Knight Templar, which is a great talent for the spears, and pretty helpful for the fight in general.

Our kill was literally the slowest, and I survived 7 spears on it, with limited use of externals.

(1) SotR+Eye+Steed, (2) AD, (3) Eye+Steed, (4) Guardian+Steed, (5) BoP, (6) Bark+Steed+SotR+Eye (bark not needed, but just safer), (7) AD

I can't imagine killing it with any more spears than that, so you should be okay. If you're going to use SotR, don't forget you have to have 2 casts pooled in order to have the buff last long enough, and don't forget you can drop cons for the SotR buff to mitigate more. It's a damage loss, but that isn't too big since you're running around the whole time anyway.

Don't forget, for AD and BoP you don't have to move at all, so just stay in and keep DPSing. I didn't use DS on the kill, I just saved it for an oh-shit if something really went wrong, but it could slot in perfectly for one of the non-AD spears.
    Last edited by Veyloris; 2016-11-21 at 01:57 AM.

Keep in mind with consecrate it will proactively buff your SoTR buff, meaning that you can SoTR x2, run away, then drop consecrate and stand in it and it will buff your SoTR on you so you can take the spear.

Deleted
    i thought AD had a limit on how much overkill damage it could absorb? Does the spear really not trigger that? or is it reduced by armor and whatever else you got going on at that time (probably sotr) so it doesn't trigger the cap (when you stand in melee)

Quote Originally Posted by Holovik View Post
    Keep in mind with consecrate it will proactively buff your SoTR buff, meaning that you can SoTR x2, run away, then drop consecrate and stand in it and it will buff your SoTR on you so you can take the spear.
    This is insanely pedantic but christ the usage of "proactively" there triggers me. It isn't proactive, it's dynamic. Proactive would imply snapshotting.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMaria View Post
    i thought AD had a limit on how much overkill damage it could absorb? Does the spear really not trigger that? or is it reduced by armor and whatever else you got going on at that time (probably sotr) so it doesn't trigger the cap (when you stand in melee)
    I think the cap is gone now. It previously had one for sure, but the spears do not trigger it despite hitting for ~25m in melee range of the boss.

If you look on our logs ardent defender is actually no longer counted as an absorb it appears. The spear simply does enough damage to reduce me down to 15% health, which is an interesting way for the mechanic to work. I wonder if the buff may instead reduce the damage dealt by an ability to 85% of your health instead of absorbing the overage as it did previously.
    Last edited by Veyloris; 2016-11-21 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyloris View Post
    This is insanely pedantic but christ the usage of "proactively" there triggers me. It isn't proactive, it's dynamic. Proactive would imply snapshotting.
    You must be an absolute peach to hang out with.

What I meant was that standing in a newly dropped consecrate will enhance your current SoTR buff even if it was originally applied outside of consecrate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Odyn today... My off tank (a BrM) really hates me quite a bit. He's rolling around like a mong, nearly dying because of spears...

All the while I'm just sitting there, ignoring about 75% of the spears thrown at me.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    The damage to the raid never changes, and the damage is physical according to the in game guide.

So that means you can Ardent Defender and SotR 1, Divine Shield 2, BoP 3, and then AD and SotR 4, and GotAK as needed.

This also doesn't mean you can't also have any Paladin HoSacrifice you, HPriest Use his wings, or Bark skin, or MW Monk use his CD.

Just takes coordination.

Also this fight is impossible w/o the 22.5 second Charge. Must take talent on this fight, IMO.

Also when I do this, the tank just runs away and its on the other tank to run back asap and taunt as soon as the emote goes off. The current tank just cannot not run unless you are going to DS or BoP it.

And for people that say it lasts too long. Its called a cancel aura macro.