Question Are Prot Pallies the best 'All-Rounders'?

We can't ignore pain like a Warrior, and we don't have he health of a big ol' bear. We aren't as scary (threat) as a Vengeance DH or a Bloody DK. But I've yet to tank content where my class was a limiting factor. It feels like we have just enough of everything to be in a sweet spot: we may not be the best tank for the instance, but we're pretty good at all of them.

Disclaimers:
    1) I main a prot pally so I'm obviously biased.
    2) I have raided on most of the tanks, but have never played a BM.

Also note I am not debating whether a skilled player can tank M+15/mythic EN on any of the classes, certainly not here to claim that I'm an elite player; my point is merely that Protection Paladins are in a happy center between the pros and cons of various tanking classes.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

"We aren't as scary (threat) as a Vengeance DH or a Bloody DK"

In general prot paladins do a fair bit of damage more then the other tanks...

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10#class=Tanks

Also, ignore pain is only really "OP" on negligible content.... the majority of their damage mitigation comes from shield block being up 100% (this is for harder hitting content... not sure it's worth talking about survivability in lfr level content)

Quote Originally Posted by Damonharp View Post

Also, ignore pain is only really "OP" on negligible content.... the majority of their damage mitigation comes from shield block being up 100% (this is for harder hitting content... not sure it's worth talking about survivability in lfr level content)
    Interesting. I may have been falling for some stereotypes, along with paying too much attention to anecdotal accounts from friends and forum posts. I've heard that Skittish has been especially challenging for Warriors, while one DH was boasting he never even noticed it or had to change his tanking style. I know my screen flashes more often on my DH than on my pally, and every healer I talk to says DHs are more stressful to heal, but the logs you link show DHs with higher survivability than anyone other than bears? While pallies do more damage than DHs? Not the stereotype. Bears look good in both areas.

On the other hand, this is for raid bosses, while the most challenging tanking atm is found in M+ wouldn't you agree? I feel like M+10 challenges me more than EN-H. I can't speak to M+15 vs EN-M. I wonder how these logs would change for M+ on different weeks with different affixes?

- - - Updated - - -

I see that in +10 Maw of Souls, the top 15 scores are all either pally or bear. Not sure how to get a breakdown by class for all M+ over the last few weeks.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would call Bears the best all rounder tbh mostly because of thier mastery, but also because they have great cooldowns.

But i do main a Prot pally because i love the playstyle as it currently stands. Utility and resetting physical debuffs to skip/negate mechanics have long been a staple of Prot Paladins.

So I main DH havoc (playing sometimes veng in dungeons) and wanted make ret paladin alt. In Legion I took as first spec/artifact prot because its faster to agrro pack of mobs and aoe them down than pull 1-2 as ret. And OMFG, I fall in love with prot paladin. I kill slow single targets (like rares while leveling, atm lvl 103) but damn that aoe pulls. I realized Im trying to pull more and more with each try to test how many I can take at once and Im running out of mobs.

Hovewer I have one question about damage reduction from abilities and dont wanna make another thread. Do they stack? For example if I use SotR and Argent Defender will they stack or I will benefit only from one? Or for example Argent Defender (-20% dmg from all sources) + Guardian of Ancient King (-50% dmg from all sources)? I know I should not burn all my def CDs at once, just wondering how they work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    So I main DH havoc (playing sometimes veng in dungeons) and wanted make ret paladin alt. In Legion I took as first spec/artifact prot because its faster to agrro pack of mobs and aoe them down than pull 1-2 as ret. And OMFG, I fall in love with prot paladin. I kill slow single targets (like rares while leveling, atm lvl 103) but damn that aoe pulls. I realized Im trying to pull more and more with each try to test how many I can take at once and Im running out of mobs.

Hovewer I have one question about damage reduction from abilities and dont wanna make another thread. Do they stack? For example if I use SotR and Argent Defender will they stack or I will benefit only from one? Or for example Argent Defender (-20% dmg from all sources) + Guardian of Ancient King (-50% dmg from all sources)? I know I should not burn all my def CDs at once, just wondering how they work together.
    They all stack

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

If you like Prot now, just wait until your up around 860-870 rocking 25-30% haste and obliterating everything in sight. The only other tank spec that feels as badass as Prot Pally at 110 is Blood imo and ive got them all.

Damage mitigation stacks multiplicatively. If a boss hits you for 1m with no mitigation and no gear, he would hit for 500k with GoAK rolling. If you then use sotr for another 50%, you would be taking 250k damage, not 0 damage.

Thx for this blurb, Damonharp. Found it useful.

They stack but rarely do you want to use them at the same time. Prot pallies have quite the CDs to manage.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Prot paladins have the biggest single target and aoe dps in the game as a tank. I do 300~k on bosses and upwards of 600-800k on trash packs.

What paladin lacks is a big healthpool making you have to do mechanics other tanks do no have to do. Despite that, we have a million cooldowns. Which overall, doesn't really make us hindered all that much. I'm 890 ilvl 3.66million health. My brewmaster monk is 365 ilvl at 3.5million. Game hates me.

Yea only if you spec talents for dps and have dps secondary stats... which defeats the purpose of having a tank.. you're suppose to take everything to mitigate dmg, not the other way around.

Why have a measly 50% stonger shield when you get 3 more charges of 50% dmg reduction shield of righteous, same with seraphism, its a survival lost.. the whole point of a tank is to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssion View Post
    Yea only if you spec talents for dps and have dps secondary stats... which defeats the purpose of having a tank.. you're suppose to take everything to mitigate dmg, not the other way around.

Why have a measly 50% stonger shield when you get 3 more charges of 50% dmg reduction shield of righteous, same with seraphism, its a survival lost.. the whole point of a tank is to survive.
    Yes and if you can survive just fine with a dps centered spec how is that a bad thing? (obviously without overworking your healer so they can also dps) On M+ content especially you need to find the fine line where you have as much dps as possible while having enough mitigation to handle the content. It would be naive to stack as much mitigation as possible within content it's not needed. Even Mythic raiding tanks at a certain point start pushing for more dps.

The whole point of a tank is to survive... so why not do that with more dps if you can. Our mitigation is largely CD based. If your smart you can survive without all the mitigation gear.
    Last edited by Verko; 2016-11-23 at 07:20 PM.